V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a Police Road King, that the previous owner cut the siren wires (and other police assecories) to put chrome housings on...

I broke the bike down to have it painted, and once I got it back together, the Ignition fuse keeps blowing...any suggestions? the wires that he cut are not taped up at all, could that be causing it? I've replaced the fuse, fired her up 16 times, then the next morning the fuse will pop...I've pulled the "police ass." fuse out of the box, and it still would pop

I've thought about ordering a replacing switch controls from J&P cycles, has anyone ever tried these or installed them?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well you have a short somewhere.
You probably pinched a wire during the reinstall of the painted parts.
Relating to the police assocories, leave the fuse out and put heat shrink over all exposed wire ends just to be safe and ensure they do not cause you issues in the future.
My guess as to where the short is, it is under the gas tank. Hardest place to get to, so Murphy dictates that's where it is at.
If you have a manual, trace the wiring off the ignition fuse and see where the problem is.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went through the same problem. I had the stop/run switch wire pinched in the new chrome housing. Solder and heat shrink everything.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
if i were in your situation, i would buy and install a completly new wiring harness. you do not know what the previous owner did, nor can you tell. so to prevent frying expensive components in the future, i woulfd replace the entire harness.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think i got it fixed...took the housing and grip off, found the cut wires, taped them up, then situated them where they would not get pinched, and everything seems to work fine...

thanks for the suggestions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts