V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to jump my starter on the starter I know it's stupid but what can I say, anyway its a 2004 883 Sportster custom, I used my booster charger, oops, it arked out oops again, the ignition fuse popped now, it pops even when the key is off, what did I fry, looking here to my new bro's so save me from myself and to avoid playing parts roulette, thanks. i got this thing for $ 700 3050 miles been sitting in pole barn for 10 years nothing wrong but dead battery beautiful scoot after many hours of mothers polish.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
A REAL Harley service manual and electric diagnostics manual will be your best friends once you purchase them.

Sent from my captainhook455 clone device

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Tell us how you connected the jump cables and we might be able to give you some direction.
Which cable where, ignition switch on or off? Start switch pressed or not, etc.
Did the bike ever run since you've had it? Maybe a pre existing condition and the reason it's been in the barn for 10 years...

Sent from my water damaged bag phone

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
First, you need to put the jumper cables away.

Get a new fully charged battery.

Leave the ignition fuse out.

When you connect the battery, ignition switch off, are the lights getting power?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, you need to put the jumper cables away.

Get a new fully charged battery.

Leave the ignition fuse out.

When you connect the battery, ignition switch off, are the lights getting power?
done, power to lights but, the odometer (milage) light is out it was on before the ark incident

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How do you get power to the lights when the ignition switch is off?
I asked him if the lights were powered with switch off because I thought there may have been a switch issue, he said that the ignition fuse blows even when the switch is turned off...

He said:
the ignition fuse popped now, it pops even when the key is off,
The only way for the ignition fuse to blow when the ignition switch is turned off is for there to be a power source to the circuit that should not be there.

The ignition fuse and the lights fuse both get their power from the same source, and both circuits should be dead when the ignition switch is turned off.

OP, use your voltmeter and read voltage at the ignition fuse terminal, ignition switch off.

What is the voltage reading?

OP: Turn the ign switch off, install a new ignition fuse, does anything happen?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked him if the lights were powered with switch off because I thought there may have been a switch issue, he said that the ignition fuse blows even when the switch is turned off...

He said:

The only way for the ignition fuse to blow when the ignition switch is turned off is for there to be a power source to the circuit that should not be there.

The ignition fuse and the lights fuse both get their power from the same source, and both circuits should be dead when the ignition switch is turned off.

OP, use your voltmeter and read voltage at the ignition fuse terminal, ignition switch off.

What is the voltage reading?

OP: Turn the ign switch off, install a new ignition fuse, does anything happen?
do not have voltmeter put a new fuse in with ignition off even tried with the battery disconnected, i feel like I have tried everything as far as disconnecting and reconnecting, it seems as if a wire is touching somewhere, this has got me baffled

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,309 Posts
do not have voltmeter put a new fuse in with ignition off even tried with the battery disconnected, i feel like I have tried everything as far as disconnecting and reconnecting, it seems as if a wire is touching somewhere, this has got me baffled
You said in your first post that you don't want to play parts roulette. Your only other option is to get your hands on a multi-meter and a service manual and start troubleshooting electrics. Obviously you need a battery too.

On the other hand, if you feel baffled and like you've tried everything at this point, I would suggest taking it to a good indy shop.

Just for shits and giggles, what does "I tried to jump my starter on the starter" mean. Did you actually hook up jumper cables to the starter instead of the battery?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You said in your first post that you don't want to play parts roulette. Your only other option is to get your hands on a multi-meter and a service manual and start troubleshooting electrics. Obviously you need a battery too.

On the other hand, if you feel baffled and like you've tried everything at this point, I would suggest taking it to a good indy shop.

Just for shits and giggles, what does "I tried to jump my starter on the starter" mean. Did you actually hook up jumper cables to the starter instead of the battery?
yep

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Until you get a voltmeter you are just working blind.

You`re gonna have to break down and spend 10 bucks...

Let us know when you are ready to actually troubleshoot this problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts