V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
That lock function is part of the ign switch. If the knob doesn't pop up, it wont unlock.

There is a spring under the knob that lifts it. Could be broken, or the stem could need lube. Or the switch could be bad. Switch is about $50. Installing it is not too bad, it you can figure out how to make a tool to release the electrical connector.
Once you pull the switch, it takes a special tool to align everything inside. You COULD get lucky without the tool (buy one on E-Bay or Amazon, worth the money), but don't count on it. If you take it apart, lube it down good with anti-seize, not grease.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What I find amazing is you even waste your time to answer my question on a forum with an answer like that
I know that sounds "mean", but he does have a point. "Fork Lock" ? What's that ? If someone is going to steal the bike, the fork lock won't stop them. Mine is well insured, and if some guy is big enough to pick it up, I'm gonna let him have it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sheet of plywood, 4 big guys and a van and your bike is gone, no matter how it is locked.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Sheet of plywood, 4 big guys and a van and your bike is gone, no matter how it is locked.
Slingshot is right, if they want the bike they'll get the bike and a fork lock isn't going to matter. Fork locks and saddle bag locks only keep everyday people honest. But if it gives you piece of mind well then so be it.

·
Super Moderator
19,932 Posts
Once you pull the switch, it takes a special tool to align everything inside. You COULD get lucky without the tool (buy one on E-Bay or Amazon, worth the money), but don't count on it. If you take it apart, lube it down good with anti-seize, not grease.
The alignment tool also acts as a service key, and by using as such, pretty much eliminates the need to realign the gates. And you you can align everything with just a screw driver. What the service key really does is replace the lock stem do you can function the switch without reinstalling the lock stem.

I would not use anti-seize on the ignition switch, its not a lubricant. Use silicon grease.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Is this the tool you are referencing? https://amzn.to/32FceTj this one is for 2003 to 2013 and this cheaper one for 14 to 17 https://amzn.to/2Q42rVp I need to make an order for some other things and I may just add the first tool if it is the correct one for my condition.

My switch is buggered because someone didn't put it back together correctly and I should probably fix it, would like a tool that will make this an "easy" job. For my 2005 FLHTCUi Trying to line up stuff to fix during Winter hoping that I'll be healed enough to ride next Spring. When I push down on the switch to turn it, it stays pushed until I whack it with a knuckle, then it pops up and switches things off.

As for security of the bags, a screwdriver or pry bar is all that is needed to pop them open, or at least the videos on Youtube show it to be a simple task with a screwdriver.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts