V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently picked up a 2012 FLHTK. Was out couple days ago came out of a local Burger and beer stop and fork lock was stuck. The pin that activated by the ignition module was jammed. Took about 15 minutes of jiggling key and fork to disengage(phew). I noticed after getting home their was no pop from the spring to the ignition cover. So afraid to use the fork lock. Anyone come across this situation and wondering if a new spring that is under the ignition cover might be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
19,401 Posts
Just recently picked up a 2012 FLHTK. Was out couple days ago came out of a local Burger and beer stop and fork lock was stuck. The pin that activated by the ignition module was jammed. Took about 15 minutes of jiggling key and fork to disengage(phew). I noticed after getting home their was no pop from the spring to the ignition cover. So afraid to use the fork lock. Anyone come across this situation and wondering if a new spring that is under the ignition cover might be the problem?

That lock function is part of the ign switch. If the knob doesn't pop up, it wont unlock.

There is a spring under the knob that lifts it. Could be broken, or the stem could need lube. Or the switch could be bad. Switch is about $50. Installing it is not too bad, it you can figure out how to make a tool to release the electrical connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I find amazing is you even waste your time to answer my question on a forum with an answer like that

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
What I find amazing Kainer is this is your 2nd post and your 1st was a thread. No intro on your part just jump right in

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I always use the fork lock. If mine broke, I would want to fix it. If my bike is stolen and the insurance company asks me if it was locked up, I can say with a clear conscience, "Yes, it was". No worries.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
What I find amazing Kainer is this is your 2nd post and your 1st was a thread. No intro on your part just jump right in

what I find amazing is that every new guy that posts gets bashed by someone who has been here , and then those that have been here complain that the site does not grow

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
That lock function is part of the ign switch. If the knob doesn't pop up, it wont unlock.

There is a spring under the knob that lifts it. Could be broken, or the stem could need lube. Or the switch could be bad. Switch is about $50. Installing it is not too bad, it you can figure out how to make a tool to release the electrical connector.
I flattened the end of a piece of narrow round stock, about 1/8", long enough to access the connectors after removing the outer fairing of

I flattened the end on a length of thin rod, approx 1/8", cut long enough to access the connectors thru the opened fairing.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
what I find amazing is that every new guy that posts gets bashed by someone who has been here , and then those that have been here complain that the site does not grow
Was I bashing him? If you thought that was bashing you should have known me during my other life when my handle was ' Brain dead'. Life changes for the better. Isn't that amazing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts