V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hippo:

Have you installed many ignition modules on a stock TC88 (carbed FLT) with free flowing mufflers and hi-flow air cleaner?

If so, whose and is the change worthwhile? I know SE modules come with a new coil. Do aftermarket units (Crane, etc) do this? Also curious why a new coil is necessary.

Is your RG still stock as far as ignition?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My RG is EFI, not necessarily because it was ordered that way.

Not really, but I'm changing my mind. Never liked the SE ignition modules because they do not adress the issues of built engines and the coils are likely just another profit center.
The Daytona Twintec ignition for the first time adresses the issues of built high compression engines and I feel opens the door for a few things, not unlike having the bike build it's own ignition map with the EFI tuner in the case of Delphi bikes.
At one point we used what we learned with carbs on EFI, maybe now we can use what we learn with EFI on carb bikes.

The SE modules might have been worth it at one point in the past but the stock ignitions on the newer bikes are very good as demonstrated by how responsive the Delphi bikes are to ignition map changes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only thing I'd like over stock EFI on my 02 FLHTCUI 1550 is MSD ignition. Multiple Spark Discharge through 20 degress of crankshaft rotation. Where I've got it set at 45 degrees advance in the EFI, it would spark continuously to 25 degrees. At 15 degrees spark on through TDC.
At least until the twin plug solution is tunable!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts