V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 95" build is coming along very well but i need answer or two. I am going to switch out my stock ignition module and go with??? One of two choices. Either the 31775-01a pro race or 32704-01 adjustable . One kit comes with a new coil while the other dosen't. Will the stock coil work with the adjustable kit or should i plan on getting a new coil and if so what is the part number for it?

The bike is an 03 FXST carb model which will receive 37g cams, 1550 jugs along with the cast Hi-Comp pistons to yeild a CR of 9.6:1. Heads will be ported by Big Boyz.
Thanks
Paul

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
shrike96 said:
Ok my 95" build is coming along very well but i need answer or two. I am going to switch out my stock ignition module and go with??? One of two choices. Either the 31775-01a pro race or 32704-01 adjustable . One kit comes with a new coil while the other dosen't. Will the stock coil work with the adjustable kit or should i plan on getting a new coil and if so what is the part number for it?

The bike is an 03 FXST carb model which will receive 37g cams, 1550 jugs along with the cast Hi-Comp pistons to yeild a CR of 9.6:1. Heads will be ported by Big Boyz.
Thanks
Paul
Paul the Adjustable Map Ignition (#31775-01) is in my opinoin the best buy for the money. It is fully adjustable for Rev Limiter, Spark Curve and Spark Advance. There are 4 Spark curves to select from and you can retard the timing by -9* or advance the timing by +6*. I use this ignition alot BUT... you have to have it dialed in on the dyno by a GOOD tuner that knows how to tune an ignition or you will end up with less power than a stock ignition has given you. You don't have enough compression to warrant a high out put coil...your stock coil is way good enough.

If you don't have a good tuner go with the other choice S/E fixed ignition with the 6200 rpm rev limiter ignition....do not use the 7000 rpm Ignition....the Spark curve is not aggressive enough for your build.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc, guess i need to find a tuner or stick with a premade ignition.
I really like the thought of being able to adjust things down the road but really i am not sure i would do any more on the engine. knowing what you know how much of a differnce would there be in torque /hp from the non adjustable to a properly tuned adjustable? 5?, 10?, 20? Or am I reaching for the stars here?
Thanks
Paul

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
shrike96 said:
Thanks Doc, guess i need to find a tuner or stick with a premade ignition.
I really like the thought of being able to adjust things down the road but really i am not sure i would do any more on the engine. knowing what you know how much of a differnce would there be in torque /hp from the non adjustable to a properly tuned adjustable? 5?, 10?, 20? Or am I reaching for the stars here?
Thanks
Paul
5 to 8 hp on a good tune, 3 hp on a moderate tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts