V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me be clear: This is not a plug for a vendor, or the opening for a debate on the relative virtues of made-in-the-USA vs. made elsewhere, or FXRG vs. Fox Creek. It is intended to be a public service message for those who want that jacket and have been put off by the cost (MSRP $595 +tax).

I bought one yesterday from St. Paul HD for $459 + shipping. If you call (877-738-2168) and ask for Ken, and do the deal over the phone rather than on their eBay store, he'll also cut you a deal on shipping ($10 to Los Angeles). This is the best price I have seen for a brand new FXRG, including Zanotti and other discount sellers.

Absolutely zero affiliation with the vendor.

Hope this helps someone stay warm this winter.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I bought one of those jackets in Jan 06 when I bought my first Harley. I had to think several times if it was worth the $565 give or take a tad. But I really like that jacket. Mine has the liner inside too plus the kevlar shoulder and elbow pads.

I will say this about it, compared to all the other leather jackets I have seen, nothing comes close to the thickness of the leather and I like it alot. Also has lots of zippers for air flow through the jacket. I also bought their fxrg chaps too for the same reason. Figured thicker is better if I hit the pavement.

To bad I don't need another one LOL

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
A lot of the Harley Riding gear is made by the same folks who make the First Gear line of clothing. If you can live without the H-D logos you can beat the price by going First Gear. It is available at New Enough. I've mentioned these guys elsewhere before. I have no affiliation other than a satisfied customer. I'm using the First Gear Scout IV and it has more features that the FXRG stuff and at $387 (for the 4XLT) it's a whole lot cheaper! If you want the "Harley Look" they also make the Honcho. Quality gear with thick leather.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Gerg said:
A lot of the Harley Riding gear is made by the same folks who make the First Gear line of clothing. If you can live without the H-D logos you can beat the price by going First Gear. It is available at New Enough. I've mentioned these guys elsewhere before. I have no affiliation other than a satisfied customer. I'm using the First Gear Scout IV and it has more features that the FXRG stuff and at $387 (for the 4XLT) it's a whole lot cheaper! If you want the "Harley Look" they also make the Honcho. Quality gear with thick leather.
Hey thanks for the weblink. That is what sold me was the thickness of the leather and the vents too. Just wish I would have found this forum a few yrs ago. Sure could of saved some cash!!!

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gerg said:
I'm using the First Gear Scout IV and it has more features that the FXRG stuff and at $387 (for the 4XLT) it's a whole lot cheaper!
No offense, Gerg -- the First Gear Sout is certainly a quality piece of work -- but if you think is has "more features than the FXRG stuff" you clearly haven't examined an FXRG jacket very closely.

Feature for feature, the FXRG is the most well thought-out and feature-rich riding jacket I've ever seen. It has so many features, in fact, that even most sales people don't know how to explain them properly -- such as how to use the built-in kidney belt.

But, as I said in my initial post, I wasn't flakking for the jacket. I was just letting people who want that particular jacket know where they could get a good deal.

·
ridin' bikes for years
222 Posts
Philip said:
..., or FXRG vs. Fox Creek. It is intended to be a public service message for those who want that jacket and have been put off by the cost (MSRP $595 +tax).

I bought one yesterday from St. Paul HD for $459 + shipping.

Hope this helps someone stay warm this winter.

I have to agree, the leather FXRG with all its pockets, wearable liner, kidney belt, ventilation, cell phone pocket, etc. is a well thought out jacket. In fact it is so warm that I don't really need that heavy a one down here in Florida, though it does get down into the 40's and lower occasionally. I may be selling an XXL in the near future if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I have used First Gear Items for over 10 years. They are manufactured by Intersport Fashions. They aslo produce the Hein Grecke line (more expensive than First Gear). Quality products. Just like every manufacturer they have imprived their products. I had a Kilmajaro jacket I think now they are on the 4th or 5th version each time improving it.

I also have the FXRG jacket (both heavy weight and midweight). I think the best part of having variety of jacket choices is that each one is made a little different so might take some searching but you'll eventually find one that works for each person.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts