V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOTDAMN-------just got my rod back from the dealer for its 1K check------i'm on my way home and i hear somthin a little different from the mill------my hearing is not the same as it used to be but the sound print "we all have" indelably etched in our RAM after a 500 mi./3000rpm breakin, was not corrisponding to what i knew it should sound like------the power was all there--she sounded good EXCEPT at 3K-----it sounded like stones or something loose in the mill------got home and called the mechanic-----he said bring her back , which i did----he took her for a test drive and he concurred------he could hear it but could not find the cause-----remember , only at 3K------drove her home----she felt good and strong , no other indication of something wrong--------couldn't sleep---was curt with the wife---other things didn't matter at the the time---I was troubled-----WWEEEEELLLLLL, i got to thinkin----been around other machines and knew about " SYMPATHETIC HARMONIC VIBRATION"------ thats what it seemed like-------so took off the airbox cover----that exposed the air filter cover----undid the clips"they were all snapped" and took that off-----nothin was in the filter chamber, but as i'm holdin the black filter cover i give it a little shake----HHMMMMM what this i hear------directly under the suction tube of the filter cover is a funky "D" ring that hangs real loose------flicked it with my finger a few times and it sounded just like what i was hearing--------put everything back, securred the D ring----fired her up----let her warm----and then let her come up to 3K---------she was PURRRRRRR-IN............took her for a twist and held her to 3K, and all was sweet--------

THE MORAL TO THE STORY

If you , or a mechanic have recently removed the filter cover-----and are now experiencing a un-nerving sound at or around 3K, like stones or marbles,-----Go Back In, And Check That Ring Under The Suction Tube Of The Filter Cover------

Hey got a little long winded, but this noise had me lookin for my "9"....

Hutch

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
PHEeewww!!!!
After that much money spent, I'd be glad that's ALL it was..

:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sounds like the kid that came by the shop and said "I have this BB sound in my head"

So I told him "Why don't you shake it a little so I can hear it"

Kid "No, no, in my moorsickle" :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts