V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaced grips and now adjusting idle throttle cable, service manual shows cable housing hitting spring but can't see spring, all enclosed. how do you know when it is adjusted properly then, any info would be appreciated. i adjusted cable by turning wheel to the right and return of throttle was slow, then backed up a little bit. now a week later and throttle doesn't want to return by itself. throttle lock is loose too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
when I had my 93 FLH I would adjust the idle cable kinda snug and then take the throttle and take it all the way like wide open and then I would slowley loosin idle cable adjustment until the throttle snapshut and then I would try twisting a few times and that seemed to work,,, if it snappet shut tighten down nuts ..

·
Banned
5,840 Posts
Cable well lubed ?
Cable not binding when turned ?
No strain on return cable at idle ?

Adjust throttle cable to just open plate at idle.
Adjust return cable to just close plate, then back off one full turn.
Check adjustments at turn lock both sides.

:coffee:

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
For my bike the cables are "tightest" when the forks are full right. I adjust the "pull" cable until I can release the throttle slowly and the butterfly fully closes on its own. Lock it down. Pretty much how the manual calls for adjustment. Make sure the cables are lubed well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just did mine. I dont know if it is right, but this is how it finally worked for me.

I loosened both cables and then took turns turning each one, and then twisting the throttle after each turn to make sure it returned easily. Once I had the throttle cable with just a little slack and it returned with ease, I tightened up the lock nut on the cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts