V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found out that there is a problem with the Idle stop screw working its way out of position on the throttle body on the "07s". The dealer told me that they have had 3 or 4 bikes in with the problem. Probably from the excessive heat that is common with the motor. They also have a new downlaod that is not the " parade mode download" that is sopposed to help with the excessive pining and heat. We will see if this is another band-aid or a real fix for the problem. If you have a problem with high idle and the check engine light coming on take it in.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If the screw works its way out, the throttle plate would close more, which by itself would cause the idle speed to drop. But, the IAC would open more to maintain the desired idle speed. The only way I can see a high idle is if the screw worked itself in, opening the throttle plate so much that the IAC couldn't close far enough. Is this what you're seeing, the screw screwing itself further in?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
murphdog said:
If the screw works its way out, the throttle plate would close more, which by itself would cause the idle speed to drop. But, the IAC would open more to maintain the desired idle speed. The only way I can see a high idle is if the screw worked itself in, opening the throttle plate so much that the IAC couldn't close far enough. Is this what you're seeing, the screw screwing itself further in?
I did not know if it was in or out, just out of the right place for the idle speed to be right. I just know what the dealer and the dealer that I got the bike from are saying about this problem. Just letting everyone know that the MOCO knows that this can happen.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had it happen both ways, the bike wouldn't idle and my wife works at a stealer so she brought it in to be checked they did the normal can't find anything wrong since it managed to be idling right when she brought it in. But on the way home it rev'd up to 3000 rpm's and she had a he!! of a ride through downtown Houston! Had the dealer come pick it up and then they found the idle set screw problem. However, I disagree with the heat issue I've had a different tune on my bike from day one and never had the heat issues, think its just poor workmanship at the TB assembly. They red locktite'd the screw 12000 miles ago and have had no issues since.

donald

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Did they reset the IAC counts when they did that?? If not it needs to be done, the entire map, ign curve is based off of that and base tps settings. You need .40 volts key on ign off for the tps and iac counts with the bike hot 200*F should be in the 38-42 range. That range is set by the amount of t-plate angle

·
Registered
146 Posts
No! as a mater of fact they didn't after my wife got home I checked it and found it out of spec and re-adjusted it myselft.

donald

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HDWRENCH said:
Did they reset the IAC counts when they did that?? If not it needs to be done, the entire map, ign curve is based off of that and base tps settings. You need .40 volts key on ign off for the tps and iac counts with the bike hot 200*F should be in the 38-42 range. That range is set by the amount of t-plate angle
how do you do this,can this be done with a t-max. Mine will be back from zippers this week or next. I have found that most dealers that they do not like it if you know more that their techs do. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got my ride back

jamsdude said:
how do you do this,can this be done with a t-max. Mine will be back from zippers this week or next. I have found that most dealers that they do not like it if you know more that their techs do. Thanks for the info.
We picked the bike up from Durango HD and they were great people to work with. They replaced the Map sw=ensor gasket,injector seals,the intake seals,fixed the idle stop screw,and set the volts while hot. They rode it for about 15 miles and checked it over again. They said that the ecm already had the latest downlode avalible. Not the parade mode. Right now the bike is bone stock. It runs better than it ever has. The temps here in NM are down from the summer but it did not ping once while riding two up evenat 65mph in Sixth gear. Was riding
with a neighbor that has an 06 Classic. and we would out pull him passing and going up hills. Still no ping. I think that the TB had a problem from the start. Will ride it stock for now and see how it does. The fuel milage has also gone up to about 45mpg. Just a little update. Thanks for everyones help getting air filters to make it stock for warranty, You Guys ROCK!!:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts