V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I used dtt as a example of some one in authority that dose not recomend low idle speed and give good reasons not to, only that it was capable. I have my 95 cid set at 1050, I am concerned about wetsumping my engine. Even with my 65 amp alternator not much power is produced at idle. My voltage drops to 12 if my spot lights are on.

·
Screamin' Eagle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
merc1100sc said:
Stupid question maybe but what is the advantage to setting it any lower. Why would you want to?
Sounds better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
cts1950 said:
Even with my 65 amp alternator not much power is produced at idle. My voltage drops to 12 if my spot lights are on.
Is that an HD alternator? The high output unit for my 2001 is 45 amps as opposed to 35 amps.

BTW, I have a carbed 01 FLHT and I like my idle at 1100. Less vibes and more oil pressure at idle. And yes it spends very little time at idle unless stuck in traffic.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I fryed my original stator on my 99 ultra. I started doing a part search and discovered that in 2006 hd upgraded to a three phase alternator to gain 20 amps. 45 amp in 99 to 65 amps in 06. It was backward compatible even though I replaced stator rotor and regulator. In 99 HD used a laminated rotor riveted together. I was told these rotors could self distruct so replacement seemed prudent. The 06 rotor was considerably less expensive than the 99-05 12 magnet rotor.
97-05 rotor pn/29999-97 209.00, 45A stator pn/ 29987-02 107.00 regulator pn/ 74505-02 158.40
06 three phase rotor pn/ 29943-06 57.00 65 amp stator pn/29943-06 95.00 regulator pn/74505-06
prices current from Dales hd on line catalog

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks Cts1950, good info. I'm not pushing the electrical limit yet but it's good to know I have options. :thanks:

·
Registered
71 Posts
ericsenf said:
Have a buddy of mine whose FLHT lops with the sweetest idle. I cant get him to tell me what cam is in it. Could that be the case. Not a low idle but a certain kind of cam?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
AKTroy said:
Have a buddy of mine whose FLHT lops with the sweetest idle. I cant get him to tell me what cam is in it. Could that be the case. Not a low idle but a certain kind of cam?
Yes. Cam makes a bike difference!

·
?????
3,531 Posts
AKTroy said:
Cams can make a nice sound, I kind of like idle of HQ 0039 build which is set at 1000. I don't believe in turning down the idle just to try and make the bike sound like something it isn't. It may sound cool but when it cooks that cool will cost.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
ericsenf said:

gotcha.. but is it worth the risk of ruining something else?

my bud has a dyna w/ a built 103 w/ an SE260 and vh short shots. sounds like a fuel car at idle.

and, my buds 124" night train, before R&R tuned it, soundeed pretty mean even w/ a pro pipe, surged liked a 540 w/ a 12-71 sitting on top.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
:beatdh: :beatdh: :beatdh:

Follow the MoCo's directions on idle speed.

My XLCH sounds better when the idle is set to around 900 - 950 but all
the above issues about charging and oiling come into play.

The main reason I keep it at 1000 or slightly above is the
Bitoch will sometimes just decide to miss a beat and die at a stoplight
if the idle is too slow. The cages just have a fit if I have to kick her again
while they wait for me. (back in my meaner days I didn't care)

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
AZFXSTB said:
With the small time spent at Idle I would think this would not matter. I have heard it is problem with oil getting to everything..but I have mine at 848rpm as well and I still have 10psi at HOT idle..so Im running with it
I would think that in a fuel injected bike with an aging battery on its last legs, it might be an issue.

·
Screamin' Eagle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
msocko3 said:
Cams can make a nice sound, I kind of like idle of HQ 0039 build which is set at 1000. I don't believe in turning down the idle just to try and make the bike sound like something it isn't. It may sound cool but when it cooks that cool will cost.
I'm not trying to make it sound like it "isn't". I have the V&H ProPipes with the SE-251 high-lift cam. It does sound nice at idle but would sound better (I think) a bit lower, and when taking it in for the dyno tune I thought it'd be the best time to lower it to the safest possible point.

Great advise from all. I think I will try 1000 and then bump it to 1050 if necessary.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Idle

The engine will "tell" you where it is comfortable.
Long legged cams/builds usually will want a higher idle than a bagger grind/build. Our AHDRA Modified bike would "struggle" at 1600 rpms. Liked around 1850-2000.
A smooth, fluid idle, is better for the lower end, as it is rolling, not hammering, especially with a longer stroke application.
And BTW, they are gear driven pumps,dependant on crankshaft speed for oil movement, to the pressurized rod rollers,piston jets.(T/C's)

·
Registered
13 Posts
what is the point

of going lower? Am I missing something?
It's sort of like these jokers that turn their baseball cap around backwards and some even cockeyed, They feel this looks cool or perhaps intelligent. The newbie Harley owner does it because he thinks it sounds cool he just doesn't realize it's not intelligent. I'll leave you to form your own assumptions as to why but it's pretty basic mechanics.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi newbie, I've formed the assumption that you fail to realize, this was put to bed , Oh about 13 years ago.

When I set my idle at 0 rpm, it's so smooth you can't hardly tell it's running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Idle

The engine will "tell" you where it is comfortable.
Long legged cams/builds usually will want a higher idle than a bagger grind/build. Our AHDRA Modified bike would "struggle" at 1600 rpms. Liked around 1850-2000.
A smooth, fluid idle, is better for the lower end, as it is rolling, not hammering, especially with a longer stroke application.
And BTW, they are gear driven pumps,dependant on crankshaft speed for oil movement, to the pressurized rod rollers,piston jets.(T/C's)
When you say that if a Harley does not have to
what is the point

of going lower? Am I missing something?
Hi newbie, I've formed the assumption that you fail to realize, this was put to bed , Oh about 13 years ago.

Maybe it's not wise for me to start a pissing match however I wonder how cool your motor sounds and how you wear your baseball cap old timer

I don't know if I wanna start a pissing match but I'll bet you think your engine sounds cool at 0 rpm and I'm gonna take a wild guess that you might be one Of them guys That doesn't know what the bill of a hat is for all that aside I'm not a Harley old timer I have owned 1 for 5 years But when you talk about putting things to bed I think you're probly putting your lower and to bed When you're pounding the h*** out of those bearings because your crankshaft is unable to float them due to the low speed and impact associated with that detonation as well as low oil pressure so this newbie just wants to wish you some bottom end health , And by the way did you get offended initially because of my comments about people looking intelligent and not knowing what's unintelligent

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you say that if a Harley does not have to

Maybe it's not wise for me to start a pissing match however I wonder how cool your motor sounds and how you wear your baseball cap old timer

I don't know if I wanna start a pissing match but I'll bet you think your engine sounds cool at 0 rpm and I'm gonna take a wild guess that you might be one Of them guys That doesn't know what the bill of a hat is for all that aside I'm not a Harley old timer I have owned 1 for 5 years But when you talk about putting things to bed I think you're probly putting your lower and to bed When you're pounding the h*** out of those bearings because your crankshaft is unable to float them due to the low speed and impact associated with that detonation as well as low oil pressure so this newbie just wants to wish you some bottom end health , And by the way did you get offended initially because of my comments about people looking intelligent and not knowing what's unintelligent
Wait a minute maybe you just blew something right over my head I didn't even catch it were you making a joke when you said that your engine is barely audible it 0 rpm if so I take my hat off to you which is pointed the correct direction and applaud you for your sense of humor

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not offended at all, I just kinda wondered why you would make your first post in a thread that had been opened and closed down for so long. Probably at least half of those posters involved have moved on. Even the ones still active probably aren't just sitting there waiting for someone to add something to the conversation.

As for the 0 revs idle, you ought to try it. I pretend I have one of those Hybrids, that cut themselves off when you stop and start back up when you want to go. Fantastic mileage also.

And sorry, no baseball cap. The only people wearing baseball caps are just trying to hide their bald spot.

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
And sorry, no baseball cap. The only people wearing baseball caps are just trying to hide their bald spot.
I resemble that remark.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: John Clark

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not offended at all, I just kinda wondered why you would make your first post in a thread that had been opened and closed down for so long. Probably at least half of those posters involved have moved on. Even the ones still active probably aren't just sitting there waiting for someone to add something to the conversation.

As for the 0 revs idle, you ought to try it. I pretend I have one of those Hybrids, that cut themselves off when you stop and start back up when you want to go. Fantastic mileage also.

Yeah to which I sadly qualify, I gotta say though I'm still not sure if you're pulling my leg with regard to idle.

Yes and sadly I qualify. But anst'er still not sure if you're pulling my leg on the idle Issue, When you talked about the 15 year ago Consensus was that because it was a new motor design not vulnerable to inherent in older design weaknesses?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts