V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. for all you wizards...05 RK, SE air filter, V&H slip ons, Andrews 37 chain driven cams, SE adjustable pushrods. I did the above with plans to upgrade to 95 inch with head work in the very near future. We don't have a really good indy shop in my town and have been going to the dealer for work....Problem is I don't trust their work and went with chain driven cams because I was unsure they could do the gear drive correctly without great noise. I have to drive through town each morning to work at 25mph. In second gear holding steady at this speed I get what sounds and feels like a miss....bup....pup.pup......bup....pup.pup sound. No carb work has yet been done and it hasn't been dynoed. When I took it to the dealer recently to check out the "miss" they informed me it was the cam loping. Should this cam have a lope like this? I realize it comes in at a little higher RPM but I didn't realize it would continue to lope as it does....no tach so I'm not exactly sure what RPM 25mph second gear is....Any thoughts???? Thanks in advance. Oh, by the way....it doesn't seem as easy to start and seems like it's running rich as I smell some gas at times....

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Doc would have been able to answer this one if that jerk did not run him off!!

Get the bike warm and then adjust the idle mix by turning the screw in until the idle gets rough then back it out until you achieve the highest idle..........can be from approx. 2.25 turns to 2.75 but usually does not go any further either way.
Then go for a ride and try again.

If that does not work, remove the slide from the carb and adjust the needle so that it is DOWN one notch and go for a ride, if the bike gets erratic from this go in the opposite direction 1 notch.

If that does not cure this stumble then a different size needle is required, again , trial and error until the stumble goes away.

Timing in that rpm range will also take that stumble away as well, but I would start with the carb as in 90% of intstances it is cured by the above adjustments.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Ozzie is right on adjusting the carb, that will take care of the rich running, but the 37's have a noticable lope to them. Mine will do the same thing at about 25 in second gear and again at 30 or so in third gear. It's not a miss its normal. Hey what are you doing riding that thing so slow anyway?!!!.

Joe

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys....I agree with you both but wanted some validation for my thinking!!!!!!!! As for going so slow.....very bad town to write tickets if your one to two mph over the limit. I go to end of town and hammer it..I'm quite pleased with the 37's even without the head work and big bore...she runs like hell now!!!!! I do think I'm missing a little initial low end torque when first starting off but I think the b.b. will take care of all of this...THanks again.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hey Shrinkman2 your pm box is full, Ozzie

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had this same prob. couldnt get rid of it,i drilled a small hole in the butterfly and it made it alot better,im not telling anyone to do this but it helped mine out.i think with more overlap the engine needs more air at very small throttle openings.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I have the same thing with my TW6-HG cam. Sounds so bad it's almost embarrassing. I asked my dyno guy if he could so something about it and he made it alot better - I think he leaned it out in the 2-4% throttle range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts