V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
I *think* HD came out with a version of the race tuner for Magnetti Marelli EFI bikes. This tool would allow you to adjust you idle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65 Posts
There is an idle adjust on the Marellis, behind the cleaner. Best to have the manual,it shows location, and then describes how to reset the ECU after adjustment.

The delphi is adjusted electronically, it is on one model for 2001--forget which model. It is not the Glides or Road Kings

What are you idleing at now? Two potential issues 1) The charging system likes about 1K rpm to not drain down the battery and 2) The oil pressure drops signifigantly with RPM. Suggest you keep the stock 1K. If uou can't find a manual, I could scan the picture and instuctions.....highly suggets teh maunual however. Many uses
 

·
Infidel
Joined
·
6,331 Posts
McClendons said:
There is an idle adjust on the Marellis, behind the cleaner. Best to have the manual,it shows location, and then describes how to reset the ECU after adjustment.

The delphi is adjusted electronically, it is on one model for 2001--forget which model. It is not the Glides or Road Kings
McClendons,

Thanks for clarifying the issue. :yes:

regards,

wyo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Your bike has hot and cold idle adjustment screws, and there is a separate procedure for each. If your bike is idling where it should be (950 to 1050 rpm's), the best thing to do is leave it alone.

Ragnar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
McClendons said:
There is an idle adjust on the Marellis, behind the cleaner. Best to have the manual,it shows location, and then describes how to reset the ECU after adjustment.

The delphi is adjusted electronically, it is on one model for 2001--forget which model. It is not the Glides or Road Kings

What are you idleing at now? Two potential issues 1) The charging system likes about 1K rpm to not drain down the battery and 2) The oil pressure drops signifigantly with RPM. Suggest you keep the stock 1K. If uou can't find a manual, I could scan the picture and instuctions.....highly suggets teh maunual however. Many uses

This is for my Heritage .... I am idleing at about 1150 right now... would like to lower it to about 950.... I would like to see the instructions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,624 Posts
iubarney said:
This is for my Heritage .... I am idleing at about 1150 right now... would like to lower it to about 950.... I would like to see the instructions.
Get a service manual.:duh?:

Here's what you do:

- Ride it till up to operating temp.
- Take off the aircleaner cover and element.
- On the backing plate you will see a hole. Stick a #10 Torx in the hole and turn the set screw counterclockwise to decrease the idle.
- When you get to the desired idle, shut off the engine and pull the ECM fuse for 15 minutes.
- Put element and cover back on and recheck idle speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
In '01 the touring bikes were still MM, but I believe the softails had already switched to Delphi. If this is the case, and I think it is, your bike has the Delphi EFI, and the idle is not adjustable, except by a dealer.

Ragnar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Ragnar said:
In '01 the touring bikes were still MM, but I believe the softails had already switched to Delphi. If this is the case, and I think it is, your bike has the Delphi EFI, and the idle is not adjustable, except by a dealer.

Ragnar
You are correct, my friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,992 Posts
Ragnar said:
In '01 the touring bikes were still MM, but I believe the softails had already switched to Delphi. If this is the case, and I think it is, your bike has the Delphi EFI, and the idle is not adjustable, except by a dealer.

Ragnar
Give the man a ceegar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Ragnar said:
Your bike has hot and cold idle adjustment screws, and there is a separate procedure for each. If your bike is idling where it should be (950 to 1050 rpm's), the best thing to do is leave it alone.

Ragnar
I have to agree with above statement. I wanted my 01 FI deuce to idle at 900, which would give it a little better loping sound. Harley dealer was against it. Charging was one reason forgot the other but I just left it alone. Mine idles from 1000 to 1050. Live with it !!!!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top