V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy!!!

So I just followed the directions on that nighrider CV carb enhancement website (sporty needle jet, 165 main jet, 45 slow jet, and 1/8 "" drilled out vacuum hole on butterfly valve. I followed the directions to a "T". However, the directions get a little vague once the initial carb work is done and the adjustments begine.

So I turned my idle mixture screw out 2 1/4 turns. Now, I read somewhere that I have to take the bike on a 1o mile run before I adjust it. So what I am asking is that the engine will only stumble, when adjusted, after the ride?

I did turn it in util it bottomed out without over tightening it and the engine contiuned to idle normally. Does this mean there is an air leak somewhere? I know this is a dumb quesiton, but I need some seasoned advice. I am ok with building and modifying, but I am not at fine tuning. I just dont want to damage my engine.

Thankyou!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
2 turns out give or take a quarter turn is what one would exspect.
I'm not clear exactly what your saying after the ten mile ride on how the bike is running at the base setting.
As far as turning the A/F mixture screw in and getting no response, I would first look at where your idle rpm is, may be to high. Try achieving 1000 rpm.
Turn the idle down a tad and do it again.
play around from 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 (it's cold out rite now).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I tried to adjust the idle mixture 2- 1/4 turns but it dies right out. I went a few turns less and a few turns more with the same outcome. then I adjusted the idle speed down a little and up a little no change. I wonder if my jet is sized inorrectly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wich bike are you doing this on?
I took it that the 45 pilot was the stocker, is it?
The 165 they talk about for the main, I always took it that they were working on an EVO, the 88, I've had great luck with the 180 main, maybe 175 some times.
Was the A/F mixture block off plug still in before you started?
Has this been jetted before? What type of needle was in it?
Was the needle adjustable or a fixxed type (like stock)?
Just trying to get a feel for what you have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts