V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hace a 2003 fatboy f/i
Yesterday when riding i pulled up to a red light and noticed my speedo wasn't working and the bike wanted to die unless i kept throttle up.
I have a power commander and v&h staggered big shots with a big sucker air cleaner.
Today it started and idled ok. I couldn't check speedo because its raining.
I nticed today when i started it that after it was running that that the
fuel pump light came on for a few seconds. I have never seen that before.
Any clues would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
No help here. I have an 02 Road Glide/FI that the same thing happened to yesterday.
Speedo stopped working and had an engine light intermittently thoughout the day.
I have "rebooted" (battery disconnected) and checked all of my wriring under the fairing....
I have no clue.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I had both symptoms at the same time too. It was the speed sensor. I was told that the speed sensor has no influence on the idle. But, everytime I come down to idle, from cruising pseed, the bike wanted to die. It ran fine while cruising.

I pulled the sensor and cleaned off the fines but to no avail. Once I changed the speed sensor on my 02 Deuce everything was fine. Even the idle problem.

The idle issue was not a perception, and not intermittant. I drove like this for 2 days just to see if it went away. It did not. Added fuel, checked the vent cap, throttle cables, plug wires, etc. Once the sensor was replaced both issues immediately vanished.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
which speed sensor?.
I just took mine for a spin and the speedo is not working but the idle is fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
toddlerp said:
I had both symptoms at the same time too. It was the speed sensor. I was told that the speed sensor has no influence on the idle. But, everytime I come down to idle, from cruising pseed, the bike wanted to die. It ran fine while cruising.

I pulled the sensor and cleaned off the fines but to no avail. Once I changed the speed sensor on my 02 Deuce everything was fine. Even the idle problem.

The idle issue was not a perception, and not intermittant. I drove like this for 2 days just to see if it went away. It did not. Added fuel, checked the vent cap, throttle cables, plug wires, etc. Once the sensor was replaced both issues immediately vanished.
I cleaned and reinstalled my speed sensor with no luck. I had a buddy tell me that fix, but no help.... I may try replacing it if I don't find any other solution.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
speedo & odometer out, idle problem

My speedometer and & odometer quit working completley about two weeks ago. At the same time, my check engine light would stay on 70% of the time while cruising. At stop lights, the engine would die. But when restart the engine from off, the engine idles fine. Took to my local HD shop, they advise that the speedometer does have a voltage input into the delphi fuel injection system thus causing the problem. They replaced the speed sensor and I am going to pick up bike today to see if fixed. They advised that after they replaced sensor, they rode 16 miles with no problems. We shall see if fixed.
 

·
I ain't right
Joined
·
391 Posts
See my similar post in the Touring Section. I've had the same problem on and off for 3 years. Of course whenever I get it to the dealer it works. I'm interested in seeing how it all works out for you. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I'm not a bike tech, but I do drivability on vehicles at my auto shop. Almost all FI systems use the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) data to modify the idle in some way. Usually it works this way: At start up, cold, or even warm, the PCM will open the idle air motor to get a faster idle, then close the opening to get close to the base idle setting. At road speeds it needs to close this 'vacuum leak' to get the sytem A/F mixture from being too lean. The only way it can do this properly is to 'see' speed from the VSS. When slowing to a stop the IAC (Idle Air Control) must open to a set amount to keep the engine from dropping below base idle. I mostly notice the problem you have on manual trans vehicles, which, when stopping or pulling the clutch, the rpm drop is rather sudden. The tip off is that the speedo is inop when this happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,589 Posts
VSS is absoutely tied in with the idle tables in the ECU. And when the VSS is out of whack or out of commission the bike cannot know that the bike is at 0 speed which is where many idle parameters kick in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Same problem started for me today as well on my '03 Softail Standard. No speedometer, & engine dies at lights unless I keep on the throttle a little. Once stopped though, and if it doesn't stall, it will idle fine while waiting for the light to change. Next light...same Sh*t. I removed and cleaned the speed sensor (metal shavings on it) and reseated the speedometer connector but still have the same problem. I'm gonna change the sensor since that is what my friend did with the same symptoms and it corrected all problems. Also, anyone notice that their blinkers don't cancel automatically with this problem? This just started also. I'll post back after I change the sensor out.

A-man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
New VSS and the speedometer & blinker auto-cancel work again and no more stalling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
223 Posts
The fact is YES... on late model EFI bikes, the transmission speed sensor (VSS) output wiring first routes thru the speedo for readout. It then continues on to the engine control unit (ECU). It is part of the engine computer programming input for control. In short, if the speed signal is screwed, the engine will run like crap. This includes both when stopped and when at various road speeds.


Tom
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
219 Posts
??????

Allmanman said:
Same problem started for me today as well on my '03 Softail Standard. No speedometer, & engine dies at lights unless I keep on the throttle a little. Once stopped though, and if it doesn't stall, it will idle fine while waiting for the light to change. Next light...same Sh*t. I removed and cleaned the speed sensor (metal shavings on it) and reseated the speedometer connector but still have the same problem. I'm gonna change the sensor since that is what my friend did with the same symptoms and it corrected all problems. Also, anyone notice that their blinkers don't cancel automatically with this problem? This just started also. I'll post back after I change the sensor out.

A-man

:woohoo:
Soooo., did you get the speed sensor put in.., and did it correct all your drivability problems...???? Let us know how you made out. Ther`s some others on here to., that are havin the same symptoms. (me included)

Thanks for anything you can contribute to help us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
GrayRider is correct. That is and was my problem. Changed the sensor and all is well. Snaking the wire through was bit of a pain in the ass but is nothing anyone can't handle on their own. Ya don't need a dealer/repair shop for this problem. Sorry for the delayed post, just been busy and have not logged in of late. Peace. - A-man
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
219 Posts
Thanks Dude...!!!

Allmanman said:
GrayRider is correct. That is and was my problem. Changed the sensor and all is well. Snaking the wire through was bit of a pain in the ass but is nothing anyone can't handle on their own. Ya don't need a dealer/repair shop for this problem. Sorry for the delayed post, just been busy and have not logged in of late. Peace. - A-man

My wifes bike was dropped off to the stealer yesterday for them to look at it for the second time in few days apart from when it was there before. (rode 8 miles., still not fixed right.. same problem again) It has the same symptoms you described. Hope with some luck., we`ll see the bike back home again in a couple more weeks. It spent the last 2 weeks there for this problem already. They charged my wife $120 dollars for an air filter an said the bike was fixed. Yeah right.... back to them it went for another 2 week wait., for them to take 5 minutes to put a $28 dollar friggin part in to correct it the right way this time. (arggggggggg....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thanks again, for posting your fix..!!!! (larry5150) :cheers:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top