V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tooling with the ideal of an oil cooler for my Fatboy when it arrives in two weeks (the Softail Deluxe Cooler) and am interested because it only allows oil to the cooler once it has reached 180 degrees.

I have heard 212 is the ideal temperature for the 88 engines. Any ideals?

Worried about riding this Fall/Winter with the engine oil only hitting 180 degrees, oil turning to sledge by not burning off the water after many years, etc. type of stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had an oil cooler on my sportster and now one on my FLHTC/I and I’m glad I put them on. The oil temp will get higher than 180. That is the temp the oil has to reach before the thermostat will open allowing oil to flow through the cooler. On my sporty the oil temp would get to 260 w/o the oil cooler. With the cooler it stayed around 200. I'm not sure what the temp is running on my 88 but it has to be cooler.

I live in FL and the summer stop and go traffic is a killer on me, much less the engine. Some say running the oil temp that high is ok, but for my peace of mind I like to have a cooler.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have it pretty hot up here in Maryland as well, but I am worried if the engine might run too cold in the Fall or Winter.

If the engine runs at 180 degrees, is that warm enough?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, I have searched the other threads on this forum before posting this, still need info :)

Didn't want you all to think we were re-hasing an old subject :D

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Even with a cooler, your 88B will run a lot hotter than 212. Mine runs as high as 245 without a cooler. I run synthetic and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine runs as high as 245 also. 10 hour run to Atalanta, ran 240 all the way down and back. I've run both synthetic and dyno with little difference in temp on the longer runs. No cooler.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still can't get over that cool Dead Design!

BTW, I need to know if 180 degrees is too cold for the oil and the engine :(

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
just because the thermosta opens at 180 doesn't mean it will keep the oil at 180....it won't. At 180 it will open up and instead of the oil going up to 230-260, it might keep it at 210-240 or something.

Why buy all this stuff before you have ridden it and don't know if you need it?

·
Registered
903 Posts
180 degrees is not too cold for the oil or the engine. At 180 degrees the condensation will burn off. It just may take a little longer to do so. I wouldn' t worry about it unless you make many short trips to the local store and don't give the engine enough time to warm up and burn the condensation off.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
logical said:
just because the thermosta opens at 180 doesn't mean it will keep the oil at 180....it won't. At 180 it will open up and instead of the oil going up to 230-260, it might keep it at 210-240 or something.

Why buy all this stuff before you have ridden it and don't know if you need it?
Two reasons.

First is that when I purchased my SuperGlide, there were certain things I wish I had done upon purchase that would have been covered under warranty, things such as new exhaust, stage 1, ecm upgrades, passing lights, tacho/speedo, different covers (they love to leak) and an oil cooler for starters... Everything is being installed at once, it needs to work as one or the Dealer will have to fine tune everthing (Dyno) under warranty.

I noticed my SuperGlide would get really hot, and I want to keep this Fatboy forever (although I will be purchasing at least one more bike, probably a Road King in the next five years) I am concerned about the heat on the life of the engine.

So, the final part on my order list today has been the inclussion of the Harely Davidson Softail Oil Cooler and the Chrome cover for the cooler.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I put the oil cooler on my bagger a couple of months ago and have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank everyone for the replies! After reading these replies, and some posts out on the web (Saw Hippo on another board, was it our Hippo?) I decided...

Why the hell doesn't Harley make the oil cooler standard ala Victory, and then I remembered, they might pi$$ off the purists, and of course they make more money if they offer it as an add-on.

Loved my SuperGlide, and can't wait for the Fatboy, (three weeks dudes and dudettes) :)

So, it’s an oil cooler with me, the key being the Harley Oil Cooler for the Softails has an thermostat, and it appears after all of my reading, if you have a thermostat, then your engine will warm up enough to burn off any water, etc. that might get into the oil.

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 02 Road King FLHRCI, and am running Mobil 1 20w-50 synthetic oil in my bike, and full synthetics in the tranny and primary as well. Maximim temperature recorded so far has been around 225 - 227 degrees when at Sturgis this year. This was after running hard, and then sitting in traffic in 100 degree ambient temperatures. I am using a digital oil dipstick to record these oil temperatures.

Typically, it runs around 215 -225 degrees for normal running conditions here in St. Louis summer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
200-230 is fine at the front head temperature sensor. 250 is OK as well for TC88bs
Those of you with the EFI ECM, it has built in Temperature Management in the EPROM software that kicks in at 300F on the front sensor.
So HD cares when it is 300 - not 180, 230, 260.....
Of course your right leg started caring much earlier if you're stop and go.
Not to tell you more than you want but the EFI or ECM Temp Management does three things in stages.
1. It reduces the idle RPM whether the bike is stopped or moving. the range is 50-250 so you may not even notice.
If temp keeps going up..
2. It riches the AF mixture at all load positions whether the bike is stopped or moving - this cools the engine as more gas is cooler combustion. You won't notice this change.
if temp keeps going up after one and 2...
3. It cuts out every second fuel injector pulse which is a 50% reduction in combustion/heat production. This only occurs if the bike is stopped. You won't notice this either as the injector pulses pick up again when the bike moves.
This Temp Managemnt is only on EFI models.
Oh, that dip stick temp gauge thing is measuring oil temp well off the heads, not temp at the front head sensor so it will be 10-20 - even 50 degrees below the actual head temp depending on auxiliary oil coolers etc.
Not a big deal as the side heat is gonna chase you off the bike before HD even kicks in temp management in the ECM.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I Am Not An Expert, But...

In researching my switch to full syns in my '02 FLHTCI, I have made several calls to the Mobil 1 tech line, and also Redline Oil's tech line.

Concerning minimum temps, this is what I was told:

Mobil 1 - 150/160 degrees F minimum

Redline - 185/190 degrees F minimum

Your oil doesn't need to get to 212 degrees F to vaporize water. The aeration action of the oil system will help the process of vaporizing moisture.

I installed the H-D cooler, w/o the thermostat (Hippo even said that's how he'd do it). I have the fairing oil temp gauge, and the LCD dipstick temp gauge. I will simply cover the cooler when it's cold. I know I can run at ~55 degree ambient and the oil runs at ~175 degrees F. I'll cover the cooler when it's cooler than that...

When I switch to full syns soon, it might run cooler. (I just love the rumors and misinformation about syns -- like ole wife's tales).

I just want to know that all of my oil is routed through the cooler when it's hot (>95 degrees F). I think that decission would depend greatly on your area, and local weather...if I lived in a cooler locale, I might have installed the thermostat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2002 Deuce, no cooler, no temp guage.

Rode for an hour and a half in traffic when it was 112 (F) degrees outside. No fuss, no muss. Wrench says I don't need it. 12k miles and still goin'.

It's funny though because my 1982 water-cooled Honda would have overheated in the same conditions. (can't find anyone to buy the damn thing).

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After riding the bike a few days, I'm going to let her sit while the rains run through Maryland on Sunday. BUT, the good news is no leaks:D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No leaks from the oil cooler that is;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a HD oil cooler on my 02 Fatboy. It leaked from the get go. I bought this bike slightly used from a friend which lives 900 miles away. He had the cooler installed at the dealer. Being a do it yourselfer I decided to fix it myself. As suspected the main adaptor housing needed to be tightened. No big deal providing you have the right socket (1 1/8" I think it was). I also tweeked the hoses a bit tighter.

Been a few months, dry as a bone. I have the inexpensive guage/dipstick and see temps of 175 to 225 deg.F

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.