V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'05 FXST, installing the SE ignition module. Procedure for setting the ICM password involves cycling the ign. switch every 10 minutes. I'm not having any success after completing the steps.
One thing that is not happening as I perform this procedure is though the engine starts and stalls (as per instructions) I'm not throwing a code, nor am I getting the check engine lamp 4 seconds on, 4 seconds off, 8 seconds on, off sequence. In fact, after the 1st 10 minute cycle, the check engine lamp goes out just like normal. (Here is where the SM differs from the instructions, SM doesn't mention anything about the check engine light). Hope this is enough information so somebody can help?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
THe learn process can be a pain without the Digital tech, I have treid to do it without and some times it works and other it would not. Make sure you follow the directions as stated, and if you are and it is not working you will have to take it to a dealer and have them do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HDWrench... gonna give her another shot tonight. Sad that I can swap out my own cams but can't program an ICM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried setting up password learn procedure on a couple of bikes and have not had any luck. your best bet is to carry it to the dealer let them hook it up to their comp. takes about 15 mins. and about 30 bucks.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Scurvy said:
'05 FXST, installing the SE ignition module. Procedure for setting the ICM password involves cycling the ign. switch every 10 minutes. I'm not having any success after completing the steps.
One thing that is not happening as I perform this procedure is though the engine starts and stalls (as per instructions) I'm not throwing a code, nor am I getting the check engine lamp 4 seconds on, 4 seconds off, 8 seconds on, off sequence. In fact, after the 1st 10 minute cycle, the check engine lamp goes out just like normal. (Here is where the SM differs from the instructions, SM doesn't mention anything about the check engine light). Hope this is enough information so somebody can help?
I just purchased a SE ICM for my sportster...is this what I have to look forward to when it arrives? I haven't read up on ICM installation procedures yet. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried it again last night following the service manual to the letter. Still didn't work, and the fact that she doesn't even throw a code like the SE instructions say to expect tells me its just not going to happen. I guess at this point I'd like to just know why the SM makes password learning look pretty standard and if its actually not applicable to my bike then what else in that manual is not accurate? (already know about the torque specs).

Can't speak for your experience with the sportster, but I say give it a try for sure. If you have a TSSM it could come out totally different. If it fails, plugging back in the stock ICM is all you have to do to get her to start so you have nothing to lose trying.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Scurvy said:
I tried it again last night following the service manual to the letter. Still didn't work, and the fact that she doesn't even throw a code like the SE instructions say to expect tells me its just not going to happen. I guess at this point I'd like to just know why the SM makes password learning look pretty standard and if its actually not applicable to my bike then what else in that manual is not accurate? (already know about the torque specs).

Can't speak for your experience with the sportster, but I say give it a try for sure. If you have a TSSM it could come out totally different. If it fails, plugging back in the stock ICM is all you have to do to get her to start so you have nothing to lose trying.
What's a TSSM? All I have is the factory service manual.

Hopefully all will go well. Good luck to us both!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Homarr!
You either have a TSM - turn signal module, or a turn signal security module. If you don't have a key fob then you don't have the TSSM. The TSM I believe is what cancels your turn signals, controls the flash rate depending on load, and shuts off your bike in the event you are leaning over 45 degrees for more than one second (i.e., dropped it while running).

·
Banned
873 Posts
Doh

OK, now I see. No, I don't have a TSSM. Hehe, I thought maybe TSSM was some other manual, like the elctric diagnostic manual or something. Thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts