V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well,

I've been entertaining the idea of trading the 04 Heritage in for an EGlide. Today, I took the OL, went and rented an EGlide Classic for the day, and spent the whole day on it.

I sure will miss the Heritage:) That glide was like riding your favorite easy chair. No numbbutt at all!! It was a stock 06, and felt like a dog after my bike (95" and around 95 on both HP and TQ), but that will just give me an excuse to plan and build another motor):laugh:

I have a couple of questions for those more knowledgable than me.

1) Will the 06 radio retrofit into earlier years? I really like the stereo, but I'm not real sure I want an 06 with all of the EPA restrictions and all.

2) How much difference do the fairing lowers on the Ultra make? Do they really cut the wind a lot?

3) Exhaust...I have Fatcats on the Heritage, but they would probably be a little loud for a Glide due to wanting to be able to hear the radio. What exhaust (slip on's preferably) would provide decent performance with both a stock and built motor, good ol' Harley sound, but still not overly loud?

4) Classic or Ultra???? The Ultra is nice, but I really don't need a CB or intercomm, and I use the throttle lock for a cruise control. Do the rear speakers make much difference?

5) Fuel Injection -- Which system on which years? I know of a nice 02 Ultra that I might be interested in, but it is FI, and I don't want the MM injection.

TIA for all input

Teu{salute( {salute(

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can only comment on #2 & #3. I have an FLHTC and am waiting for my 7" windshield to arrive and will be adding wind deflectors the same tint as my screen. I rode one the other day and they do cut down on the wind buffeting. Mine is so bad (buffeting) that it makes my helmet shake at 70-80mph. Yes I live in Florida and wear a helmet. Too many laydowns in my earlier years. I also heard that frame mounted fairings don't buffet as much as fork mounted.

I also have SE slip ons along with a stage one. This bike has enough power for me. I kept my 600 GSXR for the time I feel the need for speed. Nice rumble and roars when you twist it but have no problem hearing the 2 speakers when at cruise.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
Well,

I've been entertaining the idea of trading the 04 Heritage in for an EGlide. Today, I took the OL, went and rented an EGlide Classic for the day, and spent the whole day on it.

I sure will miss the Heritage:) That glide was like riding your favorite easy chair. No numbbutt at all!! It was a stock 06, and felt like a dog after my bike (95" and around 95 on both HP and TQ), but that will just give me an excuse to plan and build another motor):laugh:

I have a couple of questions for those more knowledgable than me.

1) Will the 06 radio retrofit into earlier years? I really like the stereo, but I'm not real sure I want an 06 with all of the EPA restrictions and all.

2) How much difference do the fairing lowers on the Ultra make? Do they really cut the wind a lot?

3) Exhaust...I have Fatcats on the Heritage, but they would probably be a little loud for a Glide due to wanting to be able to hear the radio. What exhaust (slip on's preferably) would provide decent performance with both a stock and built motor, good ol' Harley sound, but still not overly loud?

4) Classic or Ultra???? The Ultra is nice, but I really don't need a CB or intercomm, and I use the throttle lock for a cruise control. Do the rear speakers make much difference?

5) Fuel Injection -- Which system on which years? I know of a nice 02 Ultra that I might be interested in, but it is FI, and I don't want the MM injection.

TIA for all input

Teu{salute( {salute(
1. yest it will but not easily at all..
2. yes they do make a big difference. The lowers combined with the fairing deflectors, Its as close to a cage as you can get...IMOI
3. i like V+H ovals. sound great and look the same perfomance wise the just is till out......cycleshacks perform great but lack a little in looks IMOI
4. Classic is my pic,I didnt want a cb, rear speakers, and i dont like the clutter look of the tour pack. I actually stripped my classic down to a street glide(prettymuch)look at my avatar....I did buy lowers though, and i do use them for long trips and cold weather...
5. 02 up fi is the way to go.....
good luck and let us know your choice....

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TXCHOP said:
2. yes they do make a big difference. The lowers combined with the fairing deflectors, Its as close to a cage as you can get...IMOI

5. 02 up fi is the way to go.....
good luck and let us know your choice....

TXCHOP

#2....fairing deflectors...do you mean these http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309108252&bmUID=1139195464594&bmLocale=en_US
or these http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309108252&bmUID=1139195464594&bmLocale=en_US

#3....so the 02 will have the Delphi Fuel Injection?

thx

Teu

·
Registered
145 Posts
all of these are wind deflectors. Plastic ones are clear, smoked, and blacked out and the others are chrome metal. I am going with the plastic just because in my opinion they look better.

My 02 is carbuerated. Just have to let it warm up first but no trouble. Cheaper to fix too but EVERYONE states the FI is better and more efficient. I am old school and cannot work on the FI myself (if needed).

·
Registered
217 Posts
02 is Delpi. o1 was the last year for MM. The Classic is a great ride but I would go for the Ultra in 02 to 05. The cruise id more than you would think. The new radio seemd to have some bugs in it. Either way you will not be sorry. You can save some money on a clean used one and put a 98in engine in it and reaalt be happy.:wootdnc:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I have cruise control on my RK. It is awesome. I never thought I would need/use it, but it is a good thing. I think you will like it WAYY better than a throttle lock. JMHO

YB

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I would save your money. Instead of getting the stock Harmon Khardon radio (which isn't bad), for about half that you can get a good Sony deck with a Biketronics kit (so you can still use the throttle controls). I spend $500 total, including speakers and an internal (fairing) antenna.

For exhaust, I can hear everything just fine up to about 85-90. I have the SE touring slip-on's right now, but will be putting on Thunderheaders by the end of the month.

I would get the classic if I were you, based on what you are saying. Your wife might appreciate the rear speakers though. And if you change your mind, it's a bigger pain in the rear to get the cruise/CB installed on your Classic than just spending the extra $1k or so for the Ultra.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sold my softail deuce and got an 06' EG Classic and decided to skip the intercom and CB. Too much to deal with and not needed in my book. I spoke with several people before making my mind up as you are. I live in Pennsylvania and ride all winter without the hard lowers. I've got the soft slip on lowers and they work great. I did the stage one thing with V & H true duals and V & H oval slip ons. Sounds great when I twist that throttle and with the AVC I can adjust the volume on the stereo to kick up the jams. So far I'm very pleased with my classic. It's got 700 miles on it and I'm ready for warm weather to do some cruising. Good luck on your new purchase. What ever you decide you won't be dissapointed.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I have a set of h-d soft lowers as well, but they say you can't use them in warmer weather, anything over 60deg they say....I wonder why they didn't desing them for year round use...

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Hey Teuf -

Congrats on the new scoot!! Those sure are nice and it sounds like there'll be some long rides in the near future for you.

GC

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FXDRYDR said:
Hey Teuf -

Congrats on the new scoot!! Those sure are nice and it sounds like there'll be some long rides in the near future for you.

GC
When you posted this, I was still in the thinking mode on trading, but yesterday (my birthday), I bought myself a birthday present, traded the Heritage on an 05 Ultra with 12000 miles. I should have done this years ago. I'm sure there is a kitchen sink on this thing somewhere, I just have to find it!!!~!Awesome! ~!Awesome!

Teu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts