V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm soon ready to buy my first bike, and i really like the harley's,but they are expensive compared to the japanese bikes. i then noticed that harley has the sportster 883 for about 7000. That suits me as i am only 5'6, 140 lbs. My question is are they looked down upon because they are the smallest bikes HD makes?

·
Registered
274 Posts
evets8617 said:
hi, i'm soon ready to buy my first bike, and i really like the harley's,but they are expensive compared to the japanese bikes. i then noticed that harley has the sportster 883 for about 7000. That suits me as i am only 5'6, 140 lbs. My question is are they looked down upon because they are the smallest bikes HD makes?
No they are great bikes, enjoy.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
There are certainly some haters when it comes to sportys but keep in mind that will come with nearly everything in life including the motorcycle you ride. It's a good starter bike and an excellent stepping stone to a bigger bike. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Read this quote “Little Brother Saves the Day” in one of those Harley Davidson coffee table books covering the history of the MOCO and its “significant models and changes.”. Took me a few minutes to process that and thought; there is a hole lot of truth in that statement considering what the MOCO was producing up to the introduction of the Sportster. Great motorcycles and has a lot of history.

Agree with sr1032 statements. If you decide to purchase take a MSF course, throw a leg over the saddle and enjoy the ride on. See ya in the wind.
V/R
Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
I once rented an 883 and had a blast. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs so I needed a little bigger bike, but if I were smaller I definitely would have bought a sportster.

06 FXDBI

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I once owned a "Shirley Davidson" :265: one of the best bikes I've ever owned...

·
professional doof
690 Posts
oh great here we go again with the "is the sportster a girls bike thread". LOL. they are great bike to learn on, but you might find that after 6 months or so of riding that you want some thing bigger. the bottom line is......get what ever blows your hair back. i ride frequently with all kinda of other motorcycles, including metrics (insert flame here). as long as your happy with your purchase is all that really matters.

Josh

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
evets8617 said:
My question is are they looked down upon because they are the smallest bikes HD makes?
You know how it is...some people got something to say about everything. These are the same people who's sh*t don't stink and their opinion about what other people ride is all that counts. Bottom line...fu*ck em...ride what you want. Buy the 883 and then later when you have the bucks punch it out to a 1200. The sporty is a fine bike and well suited for someone your size.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
If you are money tight, but want a Harley then don't shop new. Go buy a used bike. Stay away from the 06 with the EPA crap. Get you a bike at is a few years old and you may be able to get into your price range on whatever bike you really like. Just because you may end up on a Harley with an EVO motor, that doesn't mean its not a great bike and it will be a full size scoot not a sporty if that is what you want.

Check out www.cycletrader.com for used HDs. You may be surprised what you find for the price range you search.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
evets8617 said:

Okay... In years past, Sportsters were the King of performance, attitude and HDs. Many "newer" riders don't know this. Since the dramatic rise in popularity of HDs and the influx of new riders - there has been this sense that because Sporty's are smaller, they are inferior. It's BS.

A Sporty a lot of fun to ride, has a better power-to-weight ratio than a big twin, and if ya really want to go fast without breaking the bank to the same degree as is necessary with a big twin - a better platform for mods IMHO.

Bottom line - if the occassional ill-informed comment/yuppie attitude is going to make you feel like sht and hate the bike - then get something else. However, I'll tell you that crap doesn't ever go away -- there are just too many morons.

I've caught some of the same re my Super Glide -- and it cracks me up. Had one idiot say something to the effect that I got a Super Glide because I couldn't afford a chromed-out Fat Boy like his. He'd be real surprised at what I could afford -- Fat Boys are nice bikes, but I wanted a Super Glide. Some people just have a huge need to feel superior. Fortunately, they're real easy to spot and avoid.

Anyway, I've been thinking of a Sportster as a more serious go-fast toy -- going to 88 inches and doing a few other things, all in a stock-looking package... I'm thinking a balanced build could have good street manners and run in the 10s. That would be a real fun bike. If you get the Sportster and want to talk possibilities, pm me. Good luck with whatever you get.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
welcome to the forum. your buying the bike and will enjoy it. 883's are very fun bikes, light and well sportey, go figure just like the name. If your worried about what others will think then in that price range you'll always have butt heads talking trash to you, got some slip on pipes and a better flowing air cleaner and leave them standing there talking. when your riding you can't hear them.

good luck and ride safe.

p.s. show around and get the best deal on your buy. do a search here on msrp

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
For you size, I'd get the sportster in a minute. I think they are great bikes. For $7k, you could buy a used 1200 Custom and blow by all those Softails and Touring bikes. I'd buy a used 1200 before I'd buy a new 883. I've seen some real deals on 1200 Customs on ebay with extremely low miles. With the 1200 Custom, you get the chrome engine package.

Good luck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
new hd scoot

if possible, rent a couple/test drive whatever before you buy, thats what i should have done.

i started on a sporty 883, and in nine months had a lowrider- which FOR ME, i love more...but I like some highway riding, and i found the 883 not too good on the superslab.

try before you buy.

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"
(she likes carbs)

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
evets8617 said:
My question is are they looked down upon because they are the smallest bikes HD makes?
Are you tring to impress anyone? Buy what you want. To hell with what people think.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
H-D makes a bike for everyone. For the FNG's and girls, theres the Sportster.
For the old timers, theres the Geezer Glides
For the rest of us, SOFT TAILS RULE

:sofa:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
csoday said:
H-D makes a bike for everyone. For the FNG's and girls, theres the Sportster.
For the old timers, theres the Geezer Glides
For the rest of us, SOFT TAILS RULE

:sofa:
...and for the red-headed stepchildren of the Harley family

Dynas!

·
In disguise
2,908 Posts
evets8617 said:
In a nutshell, the answer is yes...by some idiots who don't know anything. Pay no attention to them. There are a lot of good respnses here but here is my favorite. Pretty much says it all:

FXDRYDR said:
Okay... In years past, Sportsters were the King of performance, attitude and HDs. Many "newer" riders don't know this. Since the dramatic rise in popularity of HDs and the influx of new riders - there has been this sense that because Sporty's are smaller, they are inferior. It's BS.

A Sporty a lot of fun to ride, has a better power-to-weight ratio than a big twin, and if ya really want to go fast without breaking the bank to the same degree as is necessary with a big twin - a better platform for mods IMHO.

Bottom line - if the occassional ill-informed comment/yuppie attitude is going to make you feel like sht and hate the bike - then get something else. However, I'll tell you that crap doesn't ever go away -- there are just too many morons.

I've caught some of the same re my Super Glide -- and it cracks me up. Had one idiot say something to the effect that I got a Super Glide because I couldn't afford a chromed-out Fat Boy like his. He'd be real surprised at what I could afford -- Fat Boys are nice bikes, but I wanted a Super Glide. Some people just have a huge need to feel superior. Fortunately, they're real easy to spot and avoid.
I like what FXDRYDR said about the Sportster's past reputation, because that's how I've always thought of them. In the 1960's, even though I was into British bikes, there was only one other motorcycle that made me watch it go by--the Sportster. And that's still how I view them. As the most famous HD (by name) ever made. While it is true that a lot of folks start with a Sportster and then later buy big twins, it is also true that there are many Sportster fans out there that really love the bikes for what they offer. Like others have said, you should decide what best suits your wishes and go with that. Don't let others make the decision for you. Good luck.

[Edit to add] I should also point out my own example (like FXDSRYDR's) of ignorance on the part of other riders. I have a FXR2. It's a big twin but the frame presents a compact appearance. I've had people tell me "Nice Sportster." I just say, "Thanks". No point in correcting idiot strangers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the input, you are right, there will be morons no matter what i do deside to get. I'm going to look around for some used bikes, but i have always been skeptical about buying used, but maybe i will come across a good deal, thanks alot!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts