V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Guy with no IFR license

George Douglas said:
What sore subject are you talking about, API ratings? Mobil even has some oils on the market that are not API rated as well as many other major oil companies, even Royal Purple. Like the article you pointed out we do have several API rated oils and yes some people are scared to use a product that may not be licensed by the API, but Amsoil does pretty well in the market place. Amsoil dominates with the largest market share of synthetic motorcycle and powersports oils in the US and actually purchase more PAO synthetic base stock that goes into their base oil formulations for the US market than any company that I am aware of including Mobil. This might surprise some people since Amsoil is a small family run company.

Where do you live in central Florida? May be we could meet up for a cup of coffee and discuss aviation topics since you sound like you have some background from that industry. I was involved with much testing when Amsoil brought their aviation oil to market back in 1983 or 84. I installed it in several aircraft and performed several oil analysis over that time. I was really disappointed when it was pulled from the market due to insurance premiums, but if you have an aviation background you surely understand aircraft liability.
Flys illegally into a bad storm, plows into a mountain with engine pulling full power and the Auburn SPARK PLUG company a small family company gets raked over in court along with the Goodyear TIRE is also in there for millions. Now assuming the engine was running full power and the landing gear was not put down, how the hell does the spark plugs and tires factor into the litigation??????????? And people wonder why Amsoil doesn't make aircraft oil. One accident even one they are not responsible for and they are out of business,

[email protected] AKA Richard Charbonneau Hambleton

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
roofeditor said:
Flys illegally into a bad storm, plows into a mountain with engine pulling full power and the Auburn SPARK PLUG company a small family company gets raked over in court along with the Goodyear TIRE is also in there for millions. Now assuming the engine was running full power and the landing gear was not put down, how the hell does the spark plugs and tires factor into the litigation??????????? And people wonder why Amsoil doesn't make aircraft oil. One accident even one they are not responsible for and they are out of business,

[email protected] AKA Richard Charbonneau Hambleton
My sentiments exactly. I am buying a private airstrip in Tennessee this week and the first thing I will do is turn some of the property into an LLC so I don't lose my shirt if someone crash lands on my strip with or without permission.

·
Registered
203 Posts
planewrench said:
All the more reason NOT to believe everything you read on the internet. This entire thread is filled with misinformation.
You noticed that too? What a clueless remark, "all aviation gasoline is now unleaded". Where does this crap come from? If people don't know what they're talking about, why do they persist in talking?

The fuel you typically buy at the airport for your piston aircraft is called 100 Low Lead which contains around 2 grams of tetraethyl lead per gallon. The 'low lead' term is something of a misnomer, as it contains more lead than most any car gas ever had. It will ruin your catalytic converter and your oxygen sensors.
Yes, you're correct again. 100LL contains 4 times the amount of tetraethyl lead as the old 80 octane avgas it "replaced", which is the reason many piston engines have had lead fouling issues over the years since 80 octane essentially disappeared in most locales.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts