V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
ampegloud said:
its not synthetic oil read the thread first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As demonstrated in the rest of your posts below...you are just missing the point...again. Whether it's synthetic or not isn't the point I was trying to make...I was trying to get your attention and ask you to be a little less critical of people you know nothing about.

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
I'll say it again: He's a troll, gentlemen, and you're playing right into his pathetic little game. And, hey, is it just me or did he offer me a blowjob up there in post #33?!?!? Hmmm, I wonder what else he uses that oil for??? :ymca: I ain't lettin' him stand behind me! :yikes:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
larryskydives said:
There are a lot of similarities in motorcycle and aircraft engines. If you ever look at radial engine, you would be amazed at how the cylinders look like knucklehead cylinder. It makes me wonder sometimes if HD didn't use aircraft cylinders as a basis for their design in the early days.

Just my two cents.
There are a lot of similarities, but I think that Orville and Wilbur were in short pants when the first Harleys were built. Maybe it's the other way around?:265:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
yeah yeah yeah

george248 said:
troll troll troll your boat... or airplane in this case :huh:
an amsoil salesman and you know it all more bs marketing hype thats all it is amsoil dosnt even have there own refinerys

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
ampegloud said:
an amsoil salesman and you know it all more bs marketing hype thats all it is amsoil dosnt even have there own refinerys
You mixed me up with another george, but I am an Amsoil salesman and when you make synthetic oil you don't really need refineries. Also many oil companies do not have their own refineries as most of them are buying their base stock from a company that specializes in that. I am sorry that you are having so much difficulty with this forum and thread. Step back a few feet and take a breather. Life is to short to get emotional over oil, whether it is made in refineries or in a lab.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
ampegloud said:
Nor does Harley or Honda or GM or Ford or Toyota or..............................................................................................................................

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
trooper113 said:
Nor does Harley or Honda or GM or Ford or Toyota or..............................................................................................................................
or castrol, or Kendall, and many others as the list goes on.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
ampegloud said:
And while we're at it, George Douglas has a lot of friends and very satisfied customers here. He's a straight shooter and has given us all a lot of great information on a variety of lubricants and filters. If you don't want to use Amsoil, that's fine with all of us who use whatever brand of oil and fine with George, but I wouldn't spend lots of time dissing George.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I've got to agree with the last thoughts about George. I really don't think he is after anyones money... He has a product that he believes in. I was on the phone with him several times, and he talked me out of buying some of his products (I just had some older versions of some products). I believe if he can help someone he will. If not, he will gladly let a person take is business elsewhere. A good man...

Stash

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Guys you are all to kind. I thank you all for your kind words. AMPLEGOUD is just a little mis-informed or just simply misunderstood me. No harm done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
George, you are being too nice, and that is fine. We all know what ampegloud is all about.

Perhaps this is in his future::bannedmf:

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
cfromc said:
George, you are being too nice, and that is fine. We all know what ampegloud is all about.

Perhaps this is in his future::bannedmf:
I too feel you are being too kind George. This forum is only as good as the people that post on it and the accuracy of the information they put out.
I look forward to the staight scoop when I ask a question and feel I get just that from you and others whom have responded to me.
I can overlook some one with an over zealous opinion, but..............when it loks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is an idiot.........I mean duck............sorry............

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
It wouldn't kill ya to learn

Freeway said:
Right, that's the appropriate focus, the fact that a motorcyclist isn't familiar with airplane oil. Good catch. :thumbsup:
Just a little.

Aeroshell would work just fine if you have access to it.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
you make good points.

george douglas said:
You know this is a funny thread, but I do have airplane folks using motorcycle oil in their aircraft. One reason is that aircraft oil for piston aircraft is not as good as it could be. The general aviation community until recent years was still back in the fifties so to speak with technology and there hasn't been much pressure on the oil companies to make better products like in the automotive field. Aircraft oils would be good for the old shovelheads, but not in newer machines. Aircraft oils have additive packages that are good at handling lead deposits for example. When was the last time you used leaded fuel? In other words different oils are designed for different applications and in most cases if you don't have specific knowledge in that area it is always safe to go with the specified product for it's application.

One of the major differences in aircraft engines is the LEAD and a lot of it. Mobile ONE had a syn oil for aircraft a few years back and after lead loaded up so bad that several engines crashed and people got killed, Mobile one AKA aviation oil dropped from the earth and paid some bit litigation for 2 deaths and many crapped out seized engines that cost WAY more than our cheap little Harley engines.

BTW: anyone use royal purple?

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Hey I'm buying.

trooper113 said:
My point was that it was good information, but hard to read. I'm sorry you missed my point. And I've never been to a Starbucks in my life.
If you are in Central florida I'll take you to one. We have one in the mall and it's the only place you can get a coffee so I said "what the heck" you can actually get a good cup of coffee but they do look at you ODD when you order just coffee, not some lateee (OK latte) milk-shake nonsense for $5.00.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
roofeditor said:
If you are in Central florida I'll take you to one. We have one in the mall and it's the only place you can get a coffee so I said "what the heck" you can actually get a good cup of coffee but they do look at you ODD when you order just coffee, not some lateee (OK latte) milk-shake nonsense for $5.00.

Thanks. We've got a Starbucks here, but I've never gone to it. Lots of other places have good, regular coffee at good prices. I wouldn't ever pay the bucks (not to mention the calorie count) some folks do daily for fancy coffee.....but they might not spend their money on a Harley or neat guns and the ammunition to shoot 'em. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
roofeditor said:
One of the major differences in aircraft engines is the LEAD and a lot of it. Mobile ONE had a syn oil for aircraft a few years back and after lead loaded up so bad that several engines crashed and people got killed, Mobile one AKA aviation oil dropped from the earth and paid some bit litigation for 2 deaths and many crapped out seized engines that cost WAY more than our cheap little Harley engines.

BTW: anyone use royal purple?
I am real familiar with Mobil's fiasco in it's voyage into the synthetic airplane general avaition market. I still don't understand why a company with it's bank roll and staff of good engineers ever brought an oil to market that couldn't handle the simple task of lead deposits in the fuel. The small family owned Amsoil company had no problems what so ever with that task in aircraft. Amsoil came out with the first STC'd FAA approved reciprocating synthetic engine oil about a year before Mobil did and had no issues with lead platting out the internals of the motor. A few years later Amsoil took it off the market due to insurance premiums hitting the roof and actually costing more than the gross sales of the product. It was a simple business decision at that point to pull the plug.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Thanks

george douglas said:
I am real familiar with Mobil's fiasco in it's voyage into the synthetic airplane general aviation market. I still don't understand why a company with it's bank roll and staff of good engineers ever brought an oil to market that couldn't handle the simple task of lead deposits in the fuel. The small family owned Amsoil company had no problems what so ever with that task in aircraft. Amsoil came out with the first STC'd FAA approved reciprocating synthetic engine oil about a year before Mobil did and had no issues with lead platting out the internals of the motor. A few years later Amsoil took it off the market due to insurance premiums hitting the roof and actually costing more than the gross sales of the product. It was a simple business decision at that point to pull the plug.

For the Amsoil history lesson. I've used AME in my Diesels for years with excellent results but did not know they had an aviation oil. If you look at AEROSHELL it's a semi-syn oil. I've used it for years and although not up to the times as much as car oils it has been improved over the years.

The mobile one in Aviation engines was retarded. Simple 100 hour testing at high loads would have given some indications of what was to happen.

But Burt/Dick Rutan and Jenna Yeager did set the world record flying around the world with mobile one in the engines.

Sore subject for you but, is AMSOIL ever going to get a API rating? It's my understanding the only thing holding them back is the high phosphorus content which gives the high 4 ball test ratings. Or so I'm told. I do know the lack of API ratings scares many away!

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/api_licensing.htm

I do note that Royal Purple does have API certification? I'm sort of thinking they are a much smaller company.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
roofeditor said:
For the Amsoil history lesson. I've used AME in my Diesels for years with excellent results but did not know they had an aviation oil. If you look at AEROSHELL it's a semi-syn oil. I've used it for years and although not up to the times as much as car oils it has been improved over the years.

The mobile one in Aviation engines was retarded. Simple 100 hour testing at high loads would have given some indications of what was to happen.

But Burt/Dick Rutan and Jenna Yeager did set the world record flying around the world with mobile one in the engines.

Sore subject for you but, is AMSOIL ever going to get a API rating? It's my understanding the only thing holding them back is the high phosphorus content which gives the high 4 ball test ratings. Or so I'm told. I do know the lack of API ratings scares many away!

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/api_licensing.htm

I do note that Royal Purple does have API certification? I'm sort of thinking they are a much smaller company.
What sore subject are you talking about, API ratings? Mobil even has some oils on the market that are not API rated as well as many other major oil companies, even Royal Purple. Like the article you pointed out we do have several API rated oils and yes some people are scared to use a product that may not be licensed by the API, but Amsoil does pretty well in the market place. Amsoil dominates with the largest market share of synthetic motorcycle and powersports oils in the US and actually purchase more PAO synthetic base stock that goes into their base oil formulations for the US market than any company that I am aware of including Mobil. This might surprise some people since Amsoil is a small family run company.

Where do you live in central Florida? May be we could meet up for a cup of coffee and discuss aviation topics since you sound like you have some background from that industry. I was involved with much testing when Amsoil brought their aviation oil to market back in 1983 or 84. I installed it in several aircraft and performed several oil analysis over that time. I was really disappointed when it was pulled from the market due to insurance premiums, but if you have an aviation background you surely understand aircrafft liability.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts