V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes thats right, areoshell now has an oil that has additives that do the same thing that harly oil does just does it without the ash content now before it wasnt a good idea to use airplane oil because they had no cleaning additives or anti oxidizers in it now areoshell w 100 does just make sure you get the "w" in front of the weight ,harly has sunoco use forms of zinc to clean the engine which in turn creates ash deposits although they dont want u to know that . airplane piston engines cant have ash it fouls plugs as far as heat airplane piston enginges run at much hight heat than a harley so the oil needs to not so called vaper thats why my shovel runs cooler anyway go to the areoshell websight and scope out their oil i called and talked to them be4 i bought the oil they have many harly customers that use their new oil im talken shovelhead here i dont know about evos or twin cams

·
Registered
9 Posts
Close. Except for what is referred to as mineral oil, all aircraft oils contain an additive package with detergents and anti wear agents. They cannot contain additives with metallic ash as these materials can cause detonation in the combustion chamber. The big problem is that you can't hear it in an airplane until something bad happens and it gets real loud ---- or quiet! Aircraft engines typically run at high power settings for long durations and detonation could really take its toll.

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
Hmm... Two posts about an obscure engine oil, from two newbies who have pimped this oil in almost all of their very few posts. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have used it for years.

Well, don't be so quick to judge.

I have used aeroshell 100w for years in my Evo. And if I was going to use a multiweight, I would use Phillips 20w50XC.

There are a lot of similarities in motorcycle and aircraft engines. If you ever look at radial engine, you would be amazed at how the cylinders look like knucklehead cylinder. It makes me wonder sometimes if HD didn't use aircraft cylinders as a basis for their design in the early days.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Freeway said:
Hmm... Two posts about an obscure engine oil, from two newbies who have pimped this oil in almost all of their very few posts. Hmm...
I don't even understand your comment. As an A&P/IA with a shop, I was merely trying to shed some light and correct some half- truths about aircraft oil. I've been around airplanes for over 35 years and motorcycles about 45, so I may be a 'newbie' here but not on the topic of aircraft oil. I've been a frequent visitor at this site since buying a Road King and I've learned a lot from you guys, (who know a whole lot more about Harleys than I ever will) just reading the forums and don't generally have anything constructive to add. When I read about the aircraft oil myths I do feel compelled to say something. Didn't realize this was a closed club. I sure wasn't pimping aircraft oil for motorcycles; I don't know if it's a good idea to use it. I buy it wholesale, but I don't put it in my bike, although I probably wouldn't hesitate if there weren't other good choices out there designed for the task at hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
airplane oil info

all you have to do is go to the areoshell websight and read about the oil then call them they will put you in touch with a technician who knows more about the oil and its propertys then we do ,you can also send them a sample of your oil they will give you all the feedback you need about how its performing in your application im not pimping aircraft oil i just run it in my shovelhead i dont like ash deposits gumming up my engine and crudding up my plugs world of difference here,as far as the desighn of the harley motor yes they did get a lot of it from piston aircraft engings the one thing about areoshell they dont market the motorcycle industry they dont have too they have all the buisness they need being one of the largest suppliers of oil to the major aircraft companys.just my 2 cents........... hey freeway !! obscure oil huh ?thats how much you dont know

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
...and they're still pimping. Thanks for proving my point for me, boys.:thumbsup:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
ampegloud said:
all you have to do is go to the areoshell websight and read about the oil then call them they will put you in touch with a technician who knows more about the oil and its propertys then we do ,you can also send them a sample of your oil they will give you all the feedback you need about how its performing in your application im not pimping aircraft oil i just run it in my shovelhead i dont like ash deposits gumming up my engine and crudding up my plugs world of difference here,as far as the desighn of the harley motor yes they did get a lot of it from piston aircraft engings the one thing about areoshell they dont market the motorcycle industry they dont have too they have all the buisness they need being one of the largest suppliers of oil to the major aircraft companys.just my 2 cents........... hey freeway !! obscure oil huh ?thats how much you dont know
Thanks for the info, I think. Could you manage a little punctuation and shorter sentences so your info will be easier to read? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Freeway said:
...and they're still pimping. Thanks for proving my point for me, boys.:thumbsup:
They might be pimping, but Aeroshell aint obscure by a long shot. If you think it is obscure, you might want to get out more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry

trooper113 said:
Thanks for the info, I think. Could you manage a little punctuation and shorter sentences so your info will be easier to read? Thanks.
i concentrate more on riding then stopping at starbucks to chat about my grammer skills. there is always one that has to prove he is smarter by correcting others yes there is a diff between true bikers and rub wannabes

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
ampegloud said:
i concentrate more on riding then stopping at starbucks to chat about my grammer skills. there is always one that has to prove he is smarter by correcting others yes there is a diff between true bikers and rub wannabes
My point was that it was good information, but hard to read. I'm sorry you missed my point. And I've never been to a Starbucks in my life.

·
Just happy to be here
858 Posts
Mtclassic said:
They might be pimping, but Aeroshell aint obscure by a long shot. If you think it is obscure, you might want to get out more.
Right, that's the appropriate focus, the fact that a motorcyclist isn't familiar with airplane oil. Good catch. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
This is a funny thread.
I wonder if people that fly airplanes ever thought about using V-twin oil in their engines? I should join an airplane forum and push V-Twin oil since it's OK to run airplane oil our motors it should be OK for them to run ours. That sounds fair.
I'll post a poll and ask "would you bet your life" "YES" "NO".

Let the internet beating begin.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
vindex1963 said:
This is a funny thread.
I wonder if people that fly airplanes ever thought about using V-twin oil in their engines? I should join an airplane forum and push V-Twin oil since it's OK to run airplane oil our motors it should be OK for them to run ours. That sounds fair.
I'll post a poll and ask "would you bet your life" "YES" "NO".

Let the internet beating begin.
You know this is a funny thread, but I do have airplane folks using motorcycle oil in their aircraft. One reason is that aircraft oil for piston aircraft is not as good as it could be. The general aviation community until recent years was still back in the fifties so to speak with technology and there hasn't been much pressure on the oil companies to make better products like in the automotive field. Aircraft oils would be good for the old shovelheads, but not in newer machines. Aircraft oils have additive packages that are good at handling lead deposits for example. When was the last time you used leaded fuel? In other words different oils are designed for different applications and in most cases if you don't have specific knowledge in that area it is always safe to go with the specified product for it's application.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good point, George.
Every lubricant has a different recipe designed for it's application.
Why would you use a recipe for cookies when you are trying to bake a cake?
dave

george douglas said:
You know this is a funny thread, but I do have airplane folks using motorcycle oil in their aircraft. One reason is that aircraft oil for piston aircraft is not as good as it could be. The general aviation community until recent years was still back in the fifties so to speak with technology and there hasn't been much pressure on the oil companies to make better products like in the automotive field. Aircraft oils would be good for the old shovelheads, but not in newer machines. Aircraft oils have additive packages that are good at handling lead deposits for example. When was the last time you used leaded fuel? In other words different oils are designed for different applications and in most cases if you don't have specific knowledge in that area it is always safe to go with the specified product for it's application.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
apologize

trooper113 said:
My point was that it was good information, but hard to read. I'm sorry you missed my point. And I've never been to a Starbucks in my life.
sorry,i jumped too quick my mistake sir

·
Registered
74 Posts
Aviation Products

One time many years ago I was informed synthetic engine oil was derived from aviation products.

I can’t and don’t care to prove the claim. However I like using synthetic oil and if an aircraft product is superior I would use it.

So if proof is available, and it sounds like it is, we have an alternative product to use.
I suspect price and availability will be the downside.

Oh and buy the way I use 100 octane aviation fuel whenever I get a chance without any ill affects in my Harley, Lawnmower and Corvette.
I also use Jet-A in my torpedo heater.
Though I have not tried any AV oil in anything yet!

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
NCC1 said:
Oh and buy the way I use 100 octane aviation fuel whenever I get a chance without any ill affects in my Harley, Lawnmower and Corvette.
Doesn't aviation fuel have lead in it? That would have ill affects of your Corvettes catalytic converters if it has them.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts