V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the local Stealer here in Charleston, SC this afternoon and the sales guy I know was showing me the new (FXSTSSE2) Screaming Eagle Softail Springer ($27k). Nice looking bike and beautiful paint I said to him. Then I noticed the adhesive sticker on the backside of the front brake caliper. I bent down to get a better view “Made in Taiwan ROC” was printed on the label. He said the make ready guy must have missed it. I know most of us know that a lot of parts are made off shore now, but I personally don’t want to see the labels denoting such. :huh:

·
Registered
822 Posts
nomad47 said:
I know most of us know that a lot of parts are made off shore now, but I personally don’t want to see the labels denoting such. :huh:

I agree, but it's required for anything imported into the U.S.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
@gree:

The problem is Made In America costs more.

Most people couldn't care less. They only care about saving a buck or two.

How many times does a new guy ask something like, "Which bike lift should I buy for my $20,000 Harley?" You get a couple of guys that say to buy the high quality, American made brand "USA" lift. Right away a bunch of people respond that they are satisfied with their brand x lift, made God knows where, but they were able to save a few bucks.

So instead of buying American, they save a few bucks buying import crap. What do they do with those few bucks they saved? Probably buy more crap made ANYWHERE but the USA.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
nomad47 said:
......Then I noticed the adhesive sticker on the backside of the front brake caliper. I bent down to get a better view “Made in Taiwan ROC” was printed on the label. . :huh:
I thought HD went to Brembo brakes? If so I guess there's nothing to stop Italian Brembo from out sourcing to China too.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ridewv said:
I thought HD went to Brembo brakes? If so I guess there's nothing to stop Italian Brembo from out sourcing to China too.
I didn't know they were Italian.
I thought it was a Chinese company named Blembo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Domestic Harleys should be labeled 'Assembled in the USA', to distinguish them from Harleys 'Assembeled in Brazil' (since 1998).

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
There is a difference in buying a high quality tool, made in the U.S., or paying 15% for a tool that will get the job done once of twice.

If the price is anywhere close, I always buy the made in USA product. If there were cheap ones that can do the job made in the USA and cost less than 25% more, I will buy it.

It does come down to money and availability. There are some items that you cannot buy made in the USA. I always try. I baought a light leather jacket online for $27. I am sure that these were being phased out, but it fit my needs. If it was $100, I would never have bought it, I would have looked for a good one. No one made any money on that jacket for $27 except the shipper.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
black05flhrci said:
So instead of buying American, they save a few bucks buying import crap. What do they do with those few bucks they saved? Probably buy more crap made ANYWHERE but the USA.
Actually the extra cash is to pay for the gas hikes, or due to lower waged jobs. {salute(

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
suscribing

cwo2lt said:
Bitch about the brakes not made in America but not about the gas and oil you put in it?
Great point 2lt, let's see where this goes:corn:

·
<><
3,971 Posts
duhast said:
Yes, we do. It's just that the won't 'give permision' to get it. They know better than we do, so we should just listen to them.
You mean...... the same tree hugging commie-pinko lib-dems who say the only reason we're in Iraq is for the oil? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Z16Monte said:
Actuallly. I believe my gas and oil was made right here in the US, from imported crude:harhar:
So it's OK to import crude oil or other raw materials but not a brake rotor? We have raw materials here don't we?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts