V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my 95 this year with 10.5:1 CP's and TC46G cams. I should have used 26G's. What my thought was to advance the 46 4 deg. which would bring the opening and closing events closer to the 26G. What I can't get a handle on is how does advancing the cam timing affect the overlap and lobe center. Squish is set at .034-.036 chambers are 89cc with the stock chamber

Thanks,
Hollywood

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Thank comp is way to high for 26gs

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
you can over compress a bit with efi and a good tuner can make it work. 10.5:1 with 26g's would be a recipe for nonstop pinging with pump gas, especially with no port work and the wrong pipes.

A better inbetween choice would be the Andrews 32g or the RedShift577 with an intake close of 46* versus 54* for the TC46. Both are lower lift than the Wild Things TC46 also and should bolt in.

The overlap and lobe center is ground into the design. The advance key rotates the valve timings as a group relative to crank position, i.e. piston position. So, you can build more or less cylinder pressure on the compression stroke and/or power stroke depending on what the intake and exhaust valves are doing timing wise.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Token
By advancing the cam timing I would be raising the cylinder pressure thus causing pinging correct? Quess I will just have to live with it. Its not a bad build just would have liked the power to come on a little earlier

Thanks

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Hollywood63 said:
Token
By advancing the cam timing I would be raising the cylinder pressure thus causing pinging correct? Quess I will just have to live with it. Its not a bad build just would have liked the power to come on a little earlier

Thanks
You would need to change cams to something similar to what I suggested earlier, that would make a significant difference.

in just doing some estimating here, it appears your ccp would come up from the low 180's to the low 190's and that alone will increase your low end torque feel. Now, the other question is, did you get the ports done to support the cam you've got? Did you get the spring packs adjusted to work with the TC46 correctly?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
There is always going to the 3.37:1 final drive gearing....that will relieve some of the stress on the engine giving you better accleration with less load on the engine

·
not sober all the time
5,523 Posts
Hollywood63 said:
Token

Thanks
You could always drop the compression a little and go with a cam with less timing like a Wood 6G or Andrews 37. With 89cc chambers, your actual compression may be pretty close.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm going to use so more of my dry humor as Tote calls it. Others just say bad humor.%[email protected]

I can't decide if I'm first class Doof member qualified or not. Probably not form this.

You good old boys need to spend some time checking out the competition. I think your thinking wrong 26G:yikes:

Since the poster said he was using TC-46 Cam which are Wild Thing, I'm going to assume that the poster was talking about another Wild Thing Cam, the TC-26g. He might be able to get alittle closer to it's close with 4+ key. Not sure you would be able to use the word close if he ment Andrews 26G cams. Now if I assumed wrong, I do qualify for Doofdom.:yes:

TC-26G, TC-26U, TC-26D
High lift version of the TC-2G. Great all around power potential from this cam. With the Wild Things heads, pistons, and throttle body, we have made over 120 HP. A very street friendly cam. Some clearancing, valve springs and spacing required. We recommend Comp Cams Spring Kit, P/N 435.

TC-46G, TC-46D
High lift version of the TC-4G. 95 inch and up motors can make some impressive power over a wide power band. 120+ horsepower possible in a 95 inch. 7000 RPM. Increased compression and head work, large carb/throttle body and performance pipes necessary if you want to make full use of this Cam.Valve springs and spacing required. We recommend Comp Cams Spring Kit, P/N 435.

Grind Lift (in) Lift at TDC (in) Open- ing (deg- rees) Clos- ing (deg- rees) Dura- tion (deg- rees) Lobe Center (deg- rees)

TC-26G/ TC-26D/ TC-26U Intake .575 .175 18 50 248 106
Exhaust .495 .145 48 14 242 107

TC-46G/ TC-46D Intake .625 .230 26 54 260 104
Exhaust .575 .182 52 20 252 106

Hollywood,

I believe Mike Roland said he doesn't think to much of trying to use Advance/Retard Keys with his cams.

You don't say what you exhaust choice is and that choice could be hurting you on the low end as well as the cams design by adding to it. If your exhaust is playing a part in the power coming on to high, then you can forget the +/- keys as you probably want be able to do anything but move your HP peak back 200 to 400 RPM.

Even at their best, Kuryakyn cams are downshift cams, when you want to get into the throttle and that's straight form Mike Rolands mouth. The TC-46g can make peak power at 7000 RPM and I believe the TC-26G can make peak power at 6500. Most street cams top out in the 5400 t0 6000 RPM range.

I'm with Tote on this and would go with 3.37 overall final drive ratio, plus liberal use of downshift up to maybe 2 gears if you want to accelerate when riding at lower RPM.

You don't say whoses heads your using and having them done by Bob Wright would probably help or spring for a set of Wild Thing Billet Heads and proper tune either should do it to.

By the way, is there a copy of your dyno sheet posted anywhere where it can be viewed? Can't see attachments here. Would be interesting to see what HP and TQ curves look like from 2500 to 4000 RPM.​

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
damn! Turbo, you da man! you caught that one. I was sure he meant the Andrews 26 and it didn't occur to me he meant Mike's TC-26. Anyway, moving the power band down with intake close is still a good idea and something in that 46-47* area looks like the ccp will be in the low 190's. That, along with Doc's idea would sure wake that thing up off it's butt down low.

Look at who the Doof is now! :thanks:

(well, that's why I keep the Doofhead comment up by my username)

hehehe.....!!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Tote, I am the one who got it wrong initially - blame me!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Oldschool got it right...er turbotc I mean.

Wild Things tc26G not Andrews

Much better choice with 95" and 10.5cr than 46g

Mike Roland does not recommend advance keys for his cams. His cam timing is such that it does not respond well to keys. Remember that the "good" stuff on advancing the intake is offset by the "bad" stuff on the exhaust. On most cams the net effect is a slight positive but not on the WT cams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts