V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in my "My Story, The beginning" thread, I'm getting back into riding after about 10 years and will be purchasing my first Harley as soon as "the one" presents itself to me. The wife has put some cost restrictions on me so I'm looking in the $11k and under range. Thought I had found the bike I was looking for in an '02 Sporty nicely chromed out, but today I ran into a '99 Fatboy with 6,500 miles. The bike looks REALLY nice and clean and has some nice looking V&H pipes...and sounds great!

One question and two concerns.

Question: They are asking $10,900 for the bike. Based on what I've been looking at for the last month that seems like a really nice price. Is it?

Concern number one: This isn't at a Harley dealership, but rather an independent performance shop specializing in Harley's and Customs. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not. Some other REALLY nice looking bikes in there and from my limited knowledge they appear to be good people.

Concern number two: When I asked if I could ride the bike tomorrow, I was told their insurance didn't allow for it. I've ridden Fatboys before, and know that I like them a ton, but is this a red flag, or common amongst independents?

This is the first bike in my price range that made me all warm and fuzzy. Any help is very much appreciated!

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy the Fatboy. If you're concerned about problems with it, then see if they'll include a 30 day warranty.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
or ask if they'll give some sort of 2hr warrantee. if you ride it and find out real quick somethings wrong with it bring it back and get your check back. I've heard of some here that mentioned the rear light warrantee, once the rear brake light is out of sight so is the warrantee.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Any purchase

I have found that before I bought my Harley Fatboy I had one of the local dealers got thru it
$80 charge
If nothing else for the pease of mind...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
racerjay said:
Concern number two: When I asked if I could ride the bike tomorrow, I was told their insurance didn't allow for it. I've ridden Fatboys before, and know that I like them a ton, but is this a red flag, or common amongst independents?

This is the first bike in my price range that made me all warm and fuzzy. Any help is very much appreciated!
A lot of shops won't let you ride the bikes. I think it cuts down on the amusement park syndrome where people just go in and "Test Ride" then leave. I wouldn't worry about that so much if you've ridden a Fatboy before you have a general idea of what you'll get (comfort/power) assuming the bike was set up the same (shocks, seat, bars, motor mods etc.)
I bought a used bike a few months back and have a suggestion I should have followed then. When I bought my bike I asked the shop to make sure the bike was in good mechanical shape and they said they checked it out completely. (Everyones definition of this will vary.) I am now in the process of getting the top end rebuilt because the person who did the initial big bore conversion botched the job badly. I took the bike to a pro and we found 60% leakdown in the rear cylinder and way too much compression due to a poor choice in parts. If I were in your position again I'd ask for them to do a leakdown and compression test before I layed my money down or give a warranty. (Even if you had to buy a Warranty for a couple bucks it will still be less than the cost of tearing it apart if something is wrong.) It won't tell you everything but at least you will have a better idea of the motor's condition. If it's a stock motor and never been apart you should have tons of miles left on it. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid now but I'm laying out some hard earned cash I didn't expect to spend because I didn't specify how I wanted the bike checked out. I am guessing that the shop I got mine from gave it a quick glance and checked brakes , clutch, cables, etc and since it ran and started ok had no reason to check the items I mentioned. If you can get anything from my "lessons learned" that will save you some money down the road that would be good especially if it doesn't cost you a couple grand. :blink: Good luck finding your perfect bike and welcome back to riding!

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
That's a great price. If the people who own the shop seem to be on the up and up I'd go for it. With only 6500 miles on it, wow.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
racerjay said:
As I posted in my "My Story, The beginning" thread, I'm getting back into riding after about 10 years and will be purchasing my first Harley as soon as "the one" presents itself to me. The wife has put some cost restrictions on me so I'm looking in the $11k and under range. Thought I had found the bike I was looking for in an '02 Sporty nicely chromed out, but today I ran into a '99 Fatboy with 6,500 miles. The bike looks REALLY nice and clean and has some nice looking V&H pipes...and sounds great!
One question and two concerns.
Question: They are asking $10,900 for the bike. Based on what I've been looking at for the last month that seems like a really nice price. Is it?
Concern number one: This isn't at a Harley dealership, but rather an independent performance shop specializing in Harley's and Customs. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not. Some other REALLY nice looking bikes in there and from my limited knowledge they appear to be good people.
That's a tough one, I personally will not buy a bike if I can't take it for a test ride. My dealer has a waiver form that they require you to sign before you get a test ride and you must bring your helmet and show your license with a cycle endorsement. I do understand why some would not want though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did it!

I went back to the shop today with my wife to check out the Fatboy again. I am now the proud owner! I pick it up on Thursday. Man, it's going to be a looooooong 5 days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be a bit concerned about a bike that I could not ride, but as for the independent shop I would not worry. They have less overhead than the Harley dealer and most of the time beat their prices. Make sure they give you some type of warranty.

Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the congrats. As for the warranty, I kind of had it in my head that I wanted the extended warranty and I did get that. Three years, unlimited miles. Just for my own peace of mind. I hope that wasn't a bad decision. The warranty cost me another $1200. Being that I am not mechanically inclined at all, I figured it was a good option. Normally I get a little bit of buyers remorse after large purchases. You know, like wondering if you made the right decision. I have no doubt in my mind this was the right decision. I feel like we just had a baby again. ~!Awesome!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Congrats. I was going to say I think its typical not to get to test tide. Also I think your probably better off going to indy then private party. They have a rep to worry about, and hopefully would notice if something was wrong.

Be careful. Ditch is full of guys who get back into riding. 10 years is a long time. Take it easy.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Congrats on the new bike....or new to you anyway. The Fatboy is an awesome bike! Softails rule!! Don't let the 10 year layoff bother you...once you've riden it comes back to you pretty quick. Just take it easy for the first few miles until you get you get the feel for it again and you'll be fine. The only thing you have to worry about is the FG's....fuc*king cagers :)

·
RIDE-SLEEP-EAT-RIDE
67 Posts
Congrats racerjay;
Just a heads up,join a local hog group and find a drivers refresher course.
I too had a 10 yr. hiatus,and I never realized the technices,that I had forgotten,or never knew.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great advice on the safety course. It certainly couldn't hurt! My next step is the helmet purchase of which I've been reading up on here on this site. Then, it's off to the dealership to inquire about the courses. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
racerjay said:
Great advice on the safety course. It certainly couldn't hurt! My next step is the helmet purchase of which I've been reading up on here on this site. Then, it's off to the dealership to inquire about the courses. Thanks for the thoughts.
Congrats on getting the Fatboy. The Primo Harley in my opinion. :) Post up some pics of that new scoot when you can.

Don't waste the extra money on a Harley instruction course. Go to a licenses MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course and it will be a lot cheaper with great instructors. There are some in every state. Just do a google search for your area.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
That's a fair price. Kelley B.Book says $13845 retail and 9,525 tradein. They are on the low side since the bike is the last year of the Evo. Nothing wrong with an Evo, IMHO. That would be a good bike for you. :)

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
rprokop63 said:
A lot of shops won't let you ride the bikes. I think it cuts down on the amusement park syndrome where people just go in and "Test Ride" then leave. I wouldn't worry about that so much if you've ridden a Fatboy before you have a general idea of what you'll get (comfort/power) assuming the bike was set up the same (shocks, seat, bars, motor mods etc.)
I bought a used bike a few months back and have a suggestion I should have followed then. When I bought my bike I asked the shop to make sure the bike was in good mechanical shape and they said they checked it out completely. (Everyones definition of this will vary.) I am now in the process of getting the top end rebuilt because the person who did the initial big bore conversion botched the job badly. I took the bike to a pro and we found 60% leakdown in the rear cylinder and way too much compression due to a poor choice in parts. If I were in your position again I'd ask for them to do a leakdown and compression test before I layed my money down or give a warranty. (Even if you had to buy a Warranty for a couple bucks it will still be less than the cost of tearing it apart if something is wrong.) It won't tell you everything but at least you will have a better idea of the motor's condition. If it's a stock motor and never been apart you should have tons of miles left on it. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid now but I'm laying out some hard earned cash I didn't expect to spend because I didn't specify how I wanted the bike checked out. I am guessing that the shop I got mine from gave it a quick glance and checked brakes , clutch, cables, etc and since it ran and started ok had no reason to check the items I mentioned. If you can get anything from my "lessons learned" that will save you some money down the road that would be good especially if it doesn't cost you a couple grand. :blink: Good luck finding your perfect bike and welcome back to riding!

I'd make sure that someone other that the selling dealer did these tests.

Teu

1 - 20 of 20 Posts