V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine found an ad in the Des Moines Register selling this bike. No phone number or address. Just an e-mail contact.
I'm one of those guys that is always skeptical of super good deals. I told my friend ... why are they putting this ad in Iowa when the bike is in Pennsylvania and I never heard of e-bay handling a 3rd party transaction if it wasn't listed on e-bay.
My friend offered to go to PA and look at the bike before sending any money or any other transaction, but as you can see by the reply she says she will ship you the bike and you can check it out after this "e-bay" transaction. (?) Ya right! I'm sure there are plenty of guys in PA that would snap up this deal.

See below...

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in my 2007 Harley Davidson Touring Screamin' Eagle Road King.
The bike is in excellent condition, only 4800 miles, no dents, no scratches, like new. Right now it is located in Philadelphia, PA and from here it will be shipped by DTD transport.

I've already arranged shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US. Shipping and handling fees to your address will be $400 so the total price for you to receive the bike will be $7,800.

I am flight attendant and I am always away from home. Because of that I have just went through a divorce. At this moment I am living in United Kingdom, I found a job here at British Airways.
I want to sell the bike as soon as possible because i want to buy a house here in UK. Due to amount involved and the fact we can't deal in person, I only accept third party mediator.

If you agree with these terms and you have the money, send me your full name and the address where you want the bike to be delivered and I will open a transaction case with ebay.

Thank you,
Katy

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Katy sounds like a sweetheart to me . . . .:hystria:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Way to good to be true.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
There are a lot of these scams out there involving someone who is moving to the UK, or is traveling there, or is somehow needing to go there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi,
Thank you for your interest in my 2007 Harley Davidson Touring Screamin' Eagle Road King.
The bike is in excellent condition, only 4800 miles, no dents, no scratches, like new. Right now it is located in Philadelphia, PA and from here it will be shipped by DTD transport.

I've already arranged shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US. Shipping and handling fees to your address will be $400 so the total price for you to receive the bike will be $7,800.

I am flight attendant and I am always away from home. Because of that I have just went through a divorce. At this moment I am living in United Kingdom, I found a job here at British Airways.
I want to sell the bike as soon as possible because i want to buy a house here in UK. Due to amount involved and the fact we can't deal in person, I only accept third party mediator.

If you agree with these terms and you have the money, send me your full name and the address where you want the bike to be delivered and I will open a transaction case with ebay.

Thank you,
Katy
There are a lot of these scams out there involving someone who is moving to the UK, or is traveling there, or is somehow needing to go there.
Big time scam. Nothing but dirtbag scum running these type of ads. See these in Canada as well and as soon as you say you will come see the bike, all communication ends.

And who the heck says they're "living in the United Kingdom." It's either England, Scotland, Ireland or some other member country of the UK. Maybe I'm just getting old but I've never heard someone just refer to the UK when they talk about where they live.

·
WideGlide Rider
369 Posts
Scam. Run away. If she needed to get rid of it quick & cheap she could sell it back to dealer.

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
!00% Scam, most of these people work out of Nigeria and Ghana. There's a whole lot of them there running. And they can be very convincing. If you do get scammed there wont be anything you can do about it. Goodbye $$$$

·
Registered
228 Posts
Another Example of a Scam

Here's one I received from some twit named Daniel James as an offer on my daughter's car.. Again, you'd have to be incredibly stupid or overly trusting to fall for this.

"Thanks for the swift response, am buying this as a surprise gift for my son for his birthday so i wont let him know until its been delivered to him and due to the nature of my job,i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday off shore ( am a petroleum engineer) who work at oil rig department,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.

As for the payment,i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online i.e (PayPal) here, as i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my pay pal account hence my insistence on using pay pal to pay.

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment has been made and with the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that. You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore and our satellite server has been down due to the bad weather which restrict our calls,please get back to me asap

Dan"

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I used to belong to a site that the main goal was screwing with these lowlife assholes. It was a lot of fun screwing with them. Some of the better "baiters" could make them do just about anything. The scammers are led on to believe the payday is just around the corner. Check it out HERE and check out some of the trophy pics. I haven't been on there in years, but it was fun. I have over $200,000 worth of counterfeit checks that these dimwits sent me. I even got interviewed by a local news station about it. It still baffles me how anyone could be dumb enough to fall for their crap.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
HD never made a 2007 Screaming Eagle Road King.
Actually, Harley did make one a very nice bike.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/harley-davidson/2007-harley-davidson-flhrse3-screamin-eagle-road-king-ar11872.html

Features of the 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin’ Eagle Road King include

Twin Cam 110 cubic inch (1800cc) Black and Chrome Engine
6-speed Cruise Drive transmission
New 18-inch x 3.5-inch Chrome, Road Winder Forged Aluminum front wheel
New 17-inch x 4.5-inch Chrome, Road Winder Forged Aluminum rear wheel
Radial 130mm x 18-inch front tire and 170mm x 17-inch rear tire
Paint:
Razor Red with Burnt Gold Leafing graphics
Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing graphics
Black Ice with Pewter Leaving graphics
New wide rear fender
New tombstone tail light assembly and matching chrome hoop
New flush mount gas cap and fuel gauge
Complementary colored frames
New complimentary colored wide swingarm
Custom leather saddlebags with chrome trim strips and matching "flame" leather inserts
New spun aluminum metal-faced combination speedometer and tachometer with backlighting
"Ironside" Collection:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts