V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always preach you get what you pay for. When it came to my paint job I didnt follow my own advice. Needless to say I fu(ked up and let someone paint it other than a pro.

I got my fenders back monday. Front fender looks good unless you look at the mount brackets, orange peel. Back fender looks good if you like orange peel

FU(K FU(K FU(K.

I am supposed to get the tank in the morning, and am afraid what its gonna look like. My uncle who painted for 40 years is passing through town friday. Gonna ask him if he thinks it can be salvaged. I am hoping a little sanding of the clear coat and a few more coats will fix it. Other wise I am gonna have to have it redone. Three fu(king weeks now.

You get what you pay for......................and I paid for the materials

:(

Here is a better pic with the new bars

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hey...tell me more about those bars. I also have a Custom model (2000) and would like to convert to that setup. I have not talked to anyone that can give me a list of exactly what I have to buy, and about what it would cost. Please let me know which cables/wires you had to replace or modify. Exactly which bars you used, and what the total cost was. I would greatly appreciate this information! Please email me directly.
Sorry about that paint job...that sucks!

[email protected]
[email protected]

Kent

·
Registered
318 Posts
sorry to hear about that, I'm hoping when I get mine painted I won't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Cryin' shame that the so called painter couldn't keep something as small as scooter parts wet enough to prevent orange peel. you might want to try wet sanding with 1500 grit followed by 2000 then compound and glaze. Be careful not to cut through the clear.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Damn that sucks. If all you did was pay for materials I'd accept the loss and take it someplace else and get it re-painted.

Nice plates on your truck. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ksims1868 said:
Hey...tell me more about those bars. I also have a Custom model (2000) and would like to convert to that setup. I have not talked to anyone that can give me a list of exactly what I have to buy,

Kent
Part numbers are from J&P

Brake line parts
50" braided brake line part 14-149 $32
banjo fitting part 14-020 $10
banjo bolt part 14-035 $ 4
banjo fitting part 14-021 $ 8
banjo bolt part 14-036 $4

+ 6" clutch cable part 223838 $33
+ 6" throttle cable $23
+ 6" Idle cable $23
throttle and idle cables are for S&S carb, no sense giving you part numbers

mini apes part 31-456 $37

these prices are with my J&P gold club card

You also must solder in about 8" of wire for the controls, there is six wires for the right and six for the left

SMOKEY said:
Damn that sucks. If all you did was pay for materials I'd accept the loss and take it someplace else and get it re-painted.

Nice plates on your truck.

SMOKEY
I found out the guy who paints at the local ford dealer does it on the side at his house. He charged a guy I know 1K to paint his bagger including the bags and fairing. Hopefully I can get out for half that. Gonna probably see the dude on monday. I think today I am gonna put the tank on the bike just to see what she is gonna look like.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Misguided,
Sorry to hear about your tanks... Im looking to get my stretch tank done here soon... I have a question about your bike's exhaust? Where did you find those exhuast?? LOOK SWEET! Would like something other than the standard straight drags.....

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let you guys know, Scott has had my stuff for about two weeks and has sent me some progress pics. I should have my stuff back the first week of december. I had Scott add a few other custom options to my paint job:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
paint job update

received this pic yesterday.

Base coat done, clearcoated and then sanded and.....................................
Scott tells me the flame process will start on monday. Job should be done by friday 6 december :D

I put together a little page about the whole exxperience with this tank
http://www.metal-horse.com/tank.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts