V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer told me that my FLSTFI was scheduled to be built today, so I took the day off & drove down to the assembly plant in York, Pa. - I had wanted to take the plant tour anyway and the chance of seeing my bike on the line was the perfect excuse.

If you haven't been through the plant before, it is quite an impressive operation & I would recommend it to anyone interested in bikes and/or manufacturing.

BTW, there was noway to find out if my bike was really on the line or not because the tour people & the production scheduling people don't/won't talk to each other. All I know is that I did see 3 black FLSTFI's on the line & that is what I ordered.

Now I'm stuck back at home waiting to bring my baby home!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
nodoze said:
All I know is that I did see 3 black FLSTFI's on the line & that is what I ordered.

Now I'm stuck back at home waiting to bring my baby home!

Ok let me get this straight.

You are a black man and you had a kid today but there is a 33% chance that they may screw up and send your wife home with the wrong kid?

Cool! Congrats!

PS. I gave up smoking and therefore have no use for a cigar. I will be happy to exchange the same for some Heroine.
( Smokeing is such a bad habit! )

Thanks

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Congrats. Not many of us can say that we were there for the birth (but definetly for the conception) of our scoots. PS. They may not have talked but I for one with my big mouth would've been asking questions, ie; VIN's, etc. Were you allowed to take pictures?

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no pictures inside the plant & there really was noone with any answers to talk to. Because the tour guides march you through pretty quickly, it would have been difficult to ask someone about a vin number. They would have had to have been working on the specific bike in question at the moment you walked by & that just didn't happen.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!
York must have changed their policy on pictures though. I was just there for the Open House in September and took a ton of pics. They did have a rule on backpacks,camera bags, etc;(terrorism control), but just the camera was OK then anyway. I would also recommend the tour if you like that kind of stuff. I found that the employees were both friendly and informative.
Good Luck with the new ride!

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mister Breeze said:
I was just there for the Open House in September and took a ton of pics.
Mister Breeze

Would be 'Interesting' to see some?

·
Registered
384 Posts
harleyhog:
I was going to try to attach at least one anyway and when I tried I was in no mans land. Can't claim to know much about these freak'n computers.
I was trying to get into "My Documents" where I have some stored and had no luck. If I get real bored with the rain here I'll try again. Unfortunately for me, I don't know much about "chips" except they go good with beer!

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think the pictures are only okay during open house. I was there in 2000 to try to see my bike being built and wasn't allowed to take any pics either.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, turns out it wasn't my baby after all.... I got a my baby's birth certificate from the dealer the other day & mine was born the about 20 hours before I got to the plant. Oh well, it was worth the trip anyway.

I'm really torqued now. The dealer will be delivering my new bike in 4 days & just my luck, have to wait for the snow to melt & the salt to be washed away before I can take her for a ride. I guess that will just give me time to dress her up right for spring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I suppose four days will go by like four years!
It won't be long now ! At least for you... I gotta do another possible four MONTHS! The OL says I got the fever bad. I went out and started buying stuff last week for the new ride and it's not even on a build date yet!

Hope old man winter gives ya a break and lets ya have a couple days in the sun. Cold we can deal with...ice,snow,salt,cinders just plain suck!

Good Luck
Mister Breeze

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey nodoze, I to took the tour today at the York plant. I took the 12pm tour. My ship date on the bike is this Friday so I was hoping to see my bike as well. No such luck. They said the bikes are built about 48hrs before they are shipped. Bet I saw it's fender and tank among the huge stacks that I saw. The only bummer of the tour was that it was lunch time so no one was operating the presses for the tanks and fenders. At least I only live 30 minutes from the plant. Next time I'll know to get there in the AM.

HAve fun keeping the bike warm this winter!

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw the presses operating & it's really amazing. They put in a piece of sheet metal, push a button & presto... out pops half of a gas tank.

Did you get to see the laser cutter doing it's thing on the oil tanks?

If your interested, talk to your dealer ahead of time & you may be able to get the "tracking slip" that was attached to the bike during fabrication. It has the time & date that your bike was built stamped on it.

BTW, what did you order?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Four months, four days, fourhour, WTF?:D

A non-riding aquaintence of mine mentioned yesterday that had to go to York on business today. I brought up the HD plant tour and he said that he would love to go as he has some time to kill. Looking forward to his return to hear about it.:Dennis

·
Registered
123 Posts
nodoze said:
just my luck, have to wait for the snow to melt & the salt to be washed away before I can take her for a ride.

"I feel your pain"

Last year (Aug, 2001) I ordered my new e-glide. I was offered 1 of 2. A November bike, or a January bike. I figured, "November? Why pay all that interest and insurance when the bike will be in storage due to snow and salt, I'll take the January baby" Well...... average temperature in November and December was well above 50, Bike left York on 1/7/02. We had 14 inches of snow 1/9/02, and it snowed, sleeted and was just about miserable through all of January & most of February

·
Registered
128 Posts
GET THE TRACKING SLIP!!!!!!!!!

nodoze said:
If your interested, talk to your dealer ahead of time & you may be able to get the "tracking slip" that was attached to the bike during fabrication. It has the time & date that your bike was built stamped on it.
I NEVER have to talk to my dealer ahead of time....he ALWAYS makes sure ya' get the tracking slip....it IS a real neat piece of history to have with the bike, AND is also a neat point when it comes time to sell the beast as well!!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I bought off the floor. Are tracking slips available that wy and would they still be available for a 2002 bought in September?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Tracking slips are shipped with all new bikes, many dealers just throw them out after the bike is sold. My dealer couldn't understand why I wanted it. He did give them to me, I'm not sure if they would keep them but I would call and ask. I don't think it really matters but it is nice to have your born on date.

If you have to ask "can you feel me now" you are in trouble......

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
nodoze said:
The dealer will be delivering my new bike in 4 days & just my luck, have to wait for the snow to melt & the salt to be washed away before I can take her for a ride. I guess that will just give me time to dress her up right for spring.
Congrats on yer new ride. I road my new ride home in a snow flurry in Oct of 2001, 50+ miles. Road everyday that there was no snow. Got to ride on Christmas day, New Years day and a lot more. In other words, don't winterize or wait till spring. Wax it up and ride that thang.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts