V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
I I remember my brother threw the car keys out the window while my mother was driving. You could pull the ignition key out while the car was running.
That was only on Chevy cars.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Super Moderator
19,401 Posts
I pumped gas when it was in the 30 cent range. Pumped it when it flew past a dollar too. That sucked.

35 cent packs of cigarettes with free matches, nickle sodas, cars with no mirror on the side and no seat belts. Free church key with a case of beer, still got some of them out in the shop. Big heavy rotor phones made out of Bakelite, and party lines. Making crank calls with no fear of ever being caught. Also having to use the phone in front of whoever was in the kitchen at the time. Shitty transistor radios to listen to really good music. 45's and LP's, sweet reel to reel, then crappy 8-tracks. Crappy TV's with crappy reception. Going to the movies in the summer just to sit in the AC for a couple of hours. Sneaking booze into the movies.

But I also remember a lot men dropping dead in their mid 30's from heart attacks. Cancer being a death sentence. I have vivid memories of all the older people who were crippled by polio. My grand father was crippled by it. And wineo's. I wounder what happened to them, don't see them around like they were in the 60's.

And I remember watching the daily death count on the news. Except it was not from Cha-town, it was from Viet Nam, Republic of. And I recall how the liberal teachers would show us the news reals in school and preach about how bad the war was and how illegal it was, and how most of the kids just ate that **** up. I also remember the ones that watched it with that "get some" look on their faces.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I remember my mom letting me go th the theater for a Saturday matinee. Two movies, a cartoon, a serial, a drink and a snack- all for a quarter.

I saw an old John Payne western recently that took me right back to that theater.

joe
Ya beat me to it. Remember the exact same thing. Saturday matinee, saw a James Bond flick, $.15 to get in and $.10 for popcorn. Theater was probably a couple miles form the house and we walked or rode bikes. Folks had one car, mom didn't even have a license.

One B&W TV and neighbor families would rotate Friday nights for the kids to all go to one home where the moms would serve popcorn and the kids watched the Huckleberry Hound show. That was a big deal. Going out to eat was too - and a very rare/special treat.

We'd go to a drive-in theater maybe once-a-year and that was big stuff. Kids in pajamas, snacking on stuff from home and watching that big screen.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ok, I remember when you could buy a 56 KHK all in pieces, some in an apple basket, some in a box for $40.00. Take it all home and put it back together. I also bought a military 45 three wheeler for $75.00 took the tranny out for my pan and left the rest in the guys yard. Who knew?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Now you want everyone to feel old? I remember those rotary phones having a party line and you had to wait till the neighbor was finished making their call to use it. And my sister making necklaces with beer can pull tabs. And kids had to go out and play all day instead of sitting in the house on their smartphones.
I remember when the rotary was a hand crank on the phone and the operator asked who you wanted to talk to. When the phone rang, you counted the long and short rings and the order of long and shorts if the call was for us or not. Sometimes, you told the person on your party line to hang up and not to listen to your calls. The top wire on the barbed wire fence was used to carry the phone calls.

I am so old, that is all I remember about phones.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Okay. You got me there. What's a wineo's?

They are called "homeless" now. My buddy in school had a grandfather that was a wino, his street name was Brownie, and his pals Hollywood Hawkins, and Bukie, his name was Earl. They hung out at 5th and market panhandling and we would get them to buy beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Plywood boats were fast. Just not real durable. Before carbon fiber, plywood was the go to for really fast boats.
I had a '61 Chris Craft Cavalier, 25ft with a Chevy V8 inboard. All plywood hull. Had to sell it when I escaped to PA. Fast?? Not so much...

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I remember all the small taverns with family rooms as a kid, tavern burgers and fries.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How about a half dozen or so Boy Scouts and their gear piled into the back of a pickup truck to go camping, or laying on the rear window ledge of the family sedan? You would get locked up forever if you tried that today!

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
outdoor drive in movie theaters....two folks sittin in
the front seat and one or two more hiding in the trunk
when we pulled up to the ticket stand.

'69 2 door impala had a big azz trunk.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Okay. You got me there. What's a wineo's?

There were some winos in Nawlins would sit on a pile of light poles waiting for work for a day. Pop would have them clean trash piles off parking lots. At the days end they didn't want money just a cheap gallon of wine. Winos have been replaced with crack heads.

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A fifth of Wild Turkey was $5.50. An ounce of Red Columbian was 40 bucks, 50 for Acapulco Gold. A 73 Mustang with every option was 3,000. A Chevelle was the cheap Chevy might as well been a Pinto. I almost bought a 38 Buick for 500 dollars.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
There were some winos in Nawlins would sit on a pile of light poles waiting for work for a day. Pop would have them clean trash piles off parking lots. At the days end they didn't want money just a cheap gallon of wine. Winos have been replaced with crack heads.
We had a local wino named Tennessee and when he was feeling good he'd stand at the intersection help direct traffic. He'd pat your car as you drove by.

I was told Sometimes if winters were hard on him he'd bust out a business window somewhere and wait on the popo to take him to a warm cell and meals.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts