V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember using a rotary phone. The only times I received a call was at home or work. I lit my cigarettes with a cardboard match that came free with a pack. I carried a church key on my key ring to open beer cans. Sooo what do y'all remember from the old days?

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I remember using a rotary phone. The only times I received a call was at home or work. I lit my cigarettes with a cardboard match that came free with a pack. I carried a church key on my key ring to open beer cans. Sooo what do y'all remember from the old days?
The corded phones used the the magnetic field around the toilet and bathtub to delay calls until you took a Crap or a bath to receive them.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Now you want everyone to feel old? I remember those rotary phones having a party line and you had to wait till the neighbor was finished making their call to use it. And my sister making necklaces with beercan pull tabs. And kids had to go out and play all day instead of sitting in the house on their smartphones.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now you want everyone to feel old? I remember those rotary phones having a party line and you had to wait till the neighbor was finished making their call to use it. And my sister making necklaces with beercan pull tabs. And kids had to go out and play all day instead of sitting in the house on their smartphones.
My parents worked on Saturday and we played until nightfall. I never locked the door cuz I didn't have a key. My wife took the phone off the hook during dinner so we could eat in peace.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts
I remember going out at night in my 20's drinking and partying till 3-4 and getting up at 6 to go to work......easily 2-3 times a week.....ahhhhh good times. :shout:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
How about 26¢ per gallon gas, cigarettes were 25¢ and a dime would get you a bottle of pop from a vending machine.

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
How about 26¢ per gallon gas, cigarettes were 25¢ and a dime would get you a bottle of pop from a vending machine.

I remember my mom letting me go th the theater for a Saturday matinee. Two movies, a cartoon, a serial, a drink and a snack- all for a quarter.

I saw an old John Payne western recently that took me right back to that theater.

joe

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A $1.50 candy bar was 5¢ then, a White Castle hamburger was 5¢ too. The first Big Mac I bought in my teens was 79¢.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I remember trying to sell this '69 Electraglide for $1800. No takers, until it was stolen. That was in the early '70's XC65DNQy7yPaf6EVf8PDf91L.jpg

·
Registered
903 Posts
Burger Chef burgers for .15 cents
Woolworths lunch counter.
5 cent coffee with 2 free refills.
Going to the local dump, set fire to one end, shoot the rats running out the other end.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could buy a big red and a pack of salted peanuts for 10¢, except I didn't have 10¢. We collected pop bottles for the deposit. Then my brother and I would get 3 ice cream sandwiches. He would get 2 and eat them like a marine. I would be taking my time and enjoy watching him drool over my one sandwich.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
We used to pay for gasoline for weekends with pop bottles.

joe

·
Registered
743 Posts
We had a telephone that hung on the wall with a crank. Our ring was to longs and a short. The system went dial in 1973 the last country private line in Illinois. It didnt work worth a crap. There were only 8 phones on the line. If you wanted to talk to someone you just got in the truck and went to see them in person. I dont remember a lock on the door either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember going to this movie with my sister when I was a kid back in the early '50's. It played at an old movie theater in Ithaca, Michigan, above the theater was a bowling alley with pin boys. Guess this makes me an old fart, huh?

·
Registered
743 Posts
We had a stag poolroom in a basement downtown. Snooker tables, bingo pin ball machines, dominos, card game in the back room, and no wimmin allowed.
Good times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I remember Yard Darts, bell bottoms, leather belts that had the 3 hole prong, my mom's and Aunts Bee Hive hair do's and a fan sitting in the window and real wooden screen doors that slapped shut.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about plywood boats with a 35 hp outboard. You wanted to go fast you had 2. There were only 3 brands, Mercury, Evinrude and Johnson. You could tell what they were from a distance by the color.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
How about plywood boats with a 35 hp outboard. You wanted to go fast you had 2. There were only 3 brands, Mercury, Evinrude and Johnson. You could tell what they were from a distance by the color.
I remember when you could identify cars at a distance by their shapes.

joe

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remember my father had plastic seat covers installed to protect the cloth. The plastic was so hot and sticky that he soon had them removed. I remember my brother threw the car keys out the window while my mother was driving. You could pull the ignition key out while the car was running.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts