V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm cruising along at normal traffic speed. Just enough throttle for a steady pace. When I let off the gas, I get a quick little "Chirp" from the left side.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks for the help!

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Mega got it right it sounds. I would look at the belt condition as well as the tension. It may need to be adjusted, cleaned, or replaced. Get the H-D tool for adjusting the belt, its cheap and helps out a lot, although checking tension is rather simple with a ruler. What kind of bike, mileage, and last service?

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I'm taking her in for a once over to prep for bike week. I wanted to hear some ideas before I drop it off.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Belt noise -- ride past something that will reflect the sound like a wall or jersey barrier to hear it better.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You nailed it! Riding by a cement divider is what made me tune in on it. Been a pain in the ass reminder noise ever since.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
oh1deuce said:
When I'm cruising along at normal traffic speed. Just enough throttle for a steady pace. When I let off the gas, I get a quick little "Chirp" from the left side.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks for the help!
When you roll off the throttle the top run of the drive belt becomes slack and it hits the inner primary causing the chirp noise.

The drive belt is being run too loose.

Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts