V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troubleshooting help please

My bike is a 2001 Ultra running the Zippers T-Max M&M to Delphi Conversion Kit with Auto-Tune. My speedo is acting up, and does the following:

The needle fluctuates between 10-80mph in a back and forth sweeping manner.
When the bike comes to a stop, it hangs up at 15mph, then drops down.
After taking off, it hangs at zero, then jumps to the current speed.
Acts like a tach and revs up and down with engine speed.

When this happens, the cruise and AVC do not work, and I have to pull over, shut the bike down, then restart it. I have cleaned the speedo pick up sensor in the tranny. After speaking with Randy Dull at Zippers Product Support, and describing the above, he believes the speedometer unit is going bad. So my questions are:

Is there a troubleshooting procedure for the speedo on an ’01 Ultra?
Is the unit repairable, or just replaceable?
Is the speedo on an ’01 Ultra interchangeable with other years?
Is there anything else I can look for or do?

Mark​

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I believe the dealers have a DigiTech supported test procedure for the speedo. Maybe worth a call, but my money is on the VSS too

·
Registered
727 Posts
before you spend any money...........

check ALL electrical connections. Look for the green nasties,
bent pins, cracked or loose wires, clean and tight grounds etc. etc.

dzlfitr

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dzlfitr said:
before you spend any money...........

check ALL electrical connections. Look for the green nasties,
bent pins, cracked or loose wires, clean and tight grounds etc. etc.

dzlfitr

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "Green Nasties"? Are those a specific green wire, or wire with a green tracer, that I should be looking for? I will check the grounds for sure.

I'm thinking it's the sensor. I cleaned the sensor again today, removed the small bits of fuzz. The speedo behaved well, for a while, then started acting up again.

Mark​

·
Registered
753 Posts
:whistle:

VicW.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hmmm...where have I heard advice about replacing the speed sensor before? %[email protected] I'm just pickin at ya bro. You've had more'n your share of troubles w/your bike, & I know what that feels like & it ain't fun. Hope you get'er straightened out real soon.

Keep us posted.

VicW.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
My speedo (01 RK) displayed similar shenanigans the other day after I gave the scoot an overly-thorough high-pressure washing. The speedo would read nuthin, then jump to 70-80 MPH then go to 20-25 and hang there; all while I was running about 50. The turn signals also would not cancel at the time. Couldn't test the cruise...don't have such luxuries(!)

I am fully aware that the problem with mine was water having gotten into some connector and it would eventually dry out. (The problem finally went away on the second day afterward.) Yours is prolly not the same issue, but I post this only to point out how 'sensitive' the connections are. Chase the harness and unplug/re-plug every connector and spray with contact cleaner...it might not hurt.
BTW: I'm bettin the "green nasties" refers to green corrosion on brass/copper connectors.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
masstch said:
I'm bettin the "green nasties" refers to green corrosion on brass/copper connectors.
Okay, corrosion and connectors.

Thanks for clarifying green nasties. I have not come across any of that on the connectors I've checked so far.

Mark​

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Mark, check all the chassis grounds and tightness of terminals at the battery. Change the speedo sensor, it is only 1 connector, easy to do. If you like, I can send you a 2000 speedo from a softtail to try (if it's compatable). I am certain it is in working order, as it came of my Deuce when I put on the tach/speedo combination gauge.
Tom.
ps...
when will you fix the grinding starter problem???

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My fuel gauge was behaving the same way as your speedo and it began right after I gave the bike a good washing. It got back to normal with some drying time.

I gotta waterproof the connector for the gauge or maybe the sending unit?

·
Registered
727 Posts
LE PEW said:
My fuel gauge was behaving the same way as your speedo and it began right after I gave the bike a good washing. It got back to normal with some drying time.

I gotta waterproof the connector for the gauge or maybe the sending unit?

di-electric grease.....good stuff.

dzlfitr

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rtb said:
I had weird similar problems that were caused by a bad voltage regulator.
I know that one. I've had TWO stators and one voltage regulator go out on me. When they fail, the entire electrical system started to "wig out". The entire bike started shutting down component by component.

Mark​

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LE PEW said:
Paniolo, how'd you make out with your speedo? Did you find anything?
Randy Dull at Zippers support suggested I check grounds. So this past weekend I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb, checking every gound and connector. I even replaced the VSS. The problem still persists.

So I called Zippers, and told them I wanted another ECM. The good news is that Randy got the okay from Danny Fitzmaurice to send me a new one, under credit card deposit. The bad news is that they are on back order and should be done in a week or so.

When I get the new one in, I'll load my same MAP, and give it a try. The returned ECM will free up my credit card deposit.

We'll see what happens.

Mark​

1 - 20 of 22 Posts