V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I know a lady who went into Mexico to have an operation to reduce the size of her stomach. In a year she had lost over 100 lbs due to not eating as much. She's looking good.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I know a lady who went into Mexico to have an operation to reduce the size of her stomach. In a year she had lost over 100 lbs due to not eating as much. She's looking good.
A fellow at work was talking about his sister's operation said the surgery cost $40,000. She was on Medicaid and she had a copay of $25. She couldn't eat pizza, carbonated drinks, beans etc.
Being the bright boy that I am said, well I guess SS will reduce her food stamp allotment to 5 bucks.lol

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well, that's a good hunk of change. I understand that is an elective surgery and her insur company doesn't cover electives. That's why she went to Mexico. If I needed to and could get past the fear of foreign operating rooms, I probably would have chosen the Mexican route also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what I understand, there are different procedures. They can remove part of your stomach, make it smaller and staple it up with the result you eat less but more often. Then there's more radical surgery that basically "re-plumbs" you. The latter is no small deal and is very life-changing. I'd get real serious and very disciplined before going that route unless there was some life-threatening/compelling reason to proceed. You'd do well to talk to some people who have undergone the re-plumbing procedure before seriously considering something like that. It ain't pretty.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, that's a good hunk of change. I understand that is an elective surgery and her insur company doesn't cover electives. That's why she went to Mexico. If I needed to and could get past the fear of foreign operating rooms, I probably would have chosen the Mexican route also.
It is unfortunate that her insurance wouldn't cover the cost, but state Medicaid will with a paltry co pay. I hope she is doing good now. A friend back in NJ had it done when he was 26. He said he wanted to stand and watch his children grow up instead of sitting in a fat man's wheelchair.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
From what I understand, there are different procedures. They can remove part of your stomach, make it smaller and staple it up with the result you eat less but more often. Then there's more radical surgery that basically "re-plumbs" you. The latter is no small deal and is very life-changing. I'd get real serious and very disciplined before going that route unless there was some life-threatening/compelling reason to proceed. You'd do well to talk to some people who have undergone the re-plumbing procedure before seriously considering something like that. It ain't pretty.
My friend in NJ had the latter as that was the procedure 40 yrs ago. He had operations to remove excess skin good thing he didn't have keloids like I do or he would look like a road map.

·
Registered
362 Posts
After a while of being on strick diet with no sugar. An apple is something you'd think was sent from God. Wait, wasn't it? LOL!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts