V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Dave1200C said:
And I don't want to spend a fortune!!

I just bought a pair of wrap around Bolle frames and had prescription driving only lenses installed. Now these are not for close up reading, only for driving or riding. I paided $104, but that is cost sense I do work for the lenses manufacturer, the frames were $40 and the rest for the lens.

Hope this helps.

·
'PACKMAN'
240 Posts
SportRX

Dave1200C said:
And I don't want to spend a fortune!!
If you'll do a thread search, you'll find my original post regarding prescription sunglasses....within the past two months. I found a very affordable set at SportRX...the only line that could handle my nearly blind prescription. They have sunglasses, riding glasses, goggles, etc.

http://www.sportrx.com/

Ask for "Bambi" when you call....seriously, she was great to work with on the order. Less than a week for delivery.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like the Wiley X..........but haven't got them BECAUSE of the price.

$380 for one set of lenses (transition and progressive) or that much for just the "suns" in progressive and another $279 for clears. These are for the goggle type wrap arounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want to go on the cheap; here's what I did. I got a pair of Wiley-X (free courtesy of the USAF). I took a cheap pair of prescripton glasses (also free courtesy of the USAF) and removed the lenses and snapped them into the frames behind the Wiley-X lenses. Worked like a champ. If the prescription lenses are too big, just file them down on the top and the bottom and snap them in. Sounds stupid, but I was jazzed when I made my first pair. Then I got LASIK....now all is good with the world.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned, but If it were me I would make sure the lenses are shatterproof. I wear a half helmet with no shield though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
franksam said:
If you'll do a thread search, you'll find my original post regarding prescription sunglasses....within the past two months. I found a very affordable set at SportRX...the only line that could handle my nearly blind prescription. They have sunglasses, riding glasses, goggles, etc.

http://www.sportrx.com/

Ask for "Bambi" when you call....seriously, she was great to work with on the order. Less than a week for delivery.
I got her too.. Asked her if her momma named her that.. She was a bit awnry, but I liked it.....
Two pairs of goggles came today, not sure which to send back for prescription lenses....

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I ordered the panoptic's and you can do a search for their site. They were $300 for the Diablo's with the snap out foam seal. Should arive this week.

Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
Another big vote for sportrx. I have ordered a couple sets of glasses from them. Quick service and when my perscription changes, I send them back and they replace the lens with the updated perscription, for a fee.

They even fixed a set my wife ran over, but that is another story.

Regards, SSC

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I am very nearsighted. Panoptic and Wiley-X can not do the script. I have been looking for something for a long time. I just ran across a set of Spektrax with an optical insert. I work at an indy shop and found these in our new 06 Tucker Rocky book. http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg
They are in the 06 street book in the middle of page 198. I thought I could not beat the price so I ordered a set to check them out. Most inserts are small and the glasses do not have or have little foam seal around the edge. I found these inserts take the same size lenses as my daily glasses. The glasses also have a full seal. These were made for motorcycle riding. I have a wide face and they fit me well. I would not suggest them for someone with a small face as the nose bridge is pretty wide. I shoud have them back in a couple of days so I can try them. The smoke lense was not as dark as I wanted it so the eyeglass shop put it in a special heated dye that they have and darkened it up. The temples switch out to a strap so they can be goggles and it all comes in a nylon case. I have high hopes for this set-up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Panoptyx are great but pricy. I've had mine for about a year and love them. Most Harley dealers have them in stock so you can try them on befor ordering them. Good Luck

·
Registered
944 Posts
minivan said:
I got her too.. Asked her if her momma named her that.. She was a bit awnry, but I liked it.....
Two pairs of goggles came today, not sure which to send back for prescription lenses....
Got the goggles and after fooling with em, I really didn't like em.. Tried on some Panoptx riding glasses at my local HD dealer yesterday and NONE of them fit.. W I D E R face I guess.. Called Bambi this morning about sending the goggles back and she told me I had tried on ALL the smaller face styles of Panoptx glasses at the dealer.. She is sending me out two pairs of riding glasses to try out for W I D E R faces.. Great gal..

PS. Told her she was famous on the VTWIN forum site.. Thought she was gonna faint..........

·
Registered
944 Posts
darman1 said:
I am very nearsighted. Panoptic and Wiley-X can not do the script. I have been looking for something for a long time. I just ran across a set of Spektrax with an optical insert. I work at an indy shop and found these in our new 06 Tucker Rocky book. http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg
They are in the 06 street book in the middle of page 198. I thought I could not beat the price so I ordered a set to check them out. Most inserts are small and the glasses do not have or have little foam seal around the edge. I found these inserts take the same size lenses as my daily glasses. The glasses also have a full seal. These were made for motorcycle riding. I have a wide face and they fit me well. I would not suggest them for someone with a small face as the nose bridge is pretty wide. I shoud have them back in a couple of days so I can try them. The smoke lense was not as dark as I wanted it so the eyeglass shop put it in a special heated dye that they have and darkened it up. The temples switch out to a strap so they can be goggles and it all comes in a nylon case. I have high hopes for this set-up.
The adidas Climacool are similar in the sportRX catalog....

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
As suspected, heart failure w/ the Gatorz prices:

Single vision lenses are $165. We have custom tints that are not on the web site, but I can add it on for you. These are the available colors for $30: Blue, Copper, Red, Teal, Orange, and Yellow. We also have a mirrored coating that you can put on top of those tints for $65. That will make an effect like Blue Chrome, Red Chrome, etc

This on top of the price of the frames...

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Be sure whatever you get has a guarantee of some sort - I ordered a set from my opto - the frames without presription lenses fit great - the EXACT same frame (they sent them out and had the lenses put in) fit like [email protected] when they came back - apparantly some lenses will change shape with some prescriptions. Luckily they let me bring them back..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Dirty Jim said:
I just bought a pair of wrap around Bolle frames and had prescription driving only lenses installed. Now these are not for close up reading, only for driving or riding. I paided $104, but that is cost sense I do work for the lenses manufacturer, the frames were $40 and the rest for the lens.

Hope this helps.
yep. got the same set up..but had to pay the bucks!!

if you want to see them just google bolle vigilante.. you can get a few different outside lenses....clear for nite time ect..

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wally world to the rescue!

I had a pair of wraparounds made with my distance prescription at my local optomitrist ($65), but I hate em because the lenses fit too close to my eyelashes and stay trashed up all the time. A friend told me about the cheap fitover types offered at Walmart. I bought a pair for $18 that had grey polarized lenses, they work great over my regular glasses and don't look bad. I wear a brain bucket and these things, day or night. They also have them with a brown smoke tint. They are offered in several different frame configurations so you can get them to fit closely to your regular frames, helps keep em from blowin around when you twist er on up past 90. These are a cheap alternative without going to goggles, don't have to have a strap to keep em on, and if you lose them or break em, they are cheap to replace and there is a Walmart every 100 yards across North America so they are easily obtained. You can try em on and get the correct fit, unlike ordering the Fitovers from J and P.:xhere:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts