V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Swms w/Bowlegged Women!
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, the Apes gotta go, I am doing some serious big mileage this summer and I know the apes aren't going to cut it, so I am asking you guys for some ideas and input.

Here are the basics 95 FXSTC, standard foot controls, but for a 5'6" guy, they are a reach, so that may play into which bars I goto.

I am thinking some type of pull back risers with a handlebar that has a very slight angle, definitely not a straight bar, but then again, I don't like the buckhorns either.

I am going to have to put a windshield on there, especially something that will also block the wind for my passenger.

Any recommendations would be appreciated and by the way, if anybody is in the market for some apes, let me know.

T

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I'm in the market for some apes... pics? size? manufacturer?

As for bars, you might want to consider adjusting the apes you have first. Loosen the clamp bolts on the risers and pull the apes back to where they are comfortable. Once you've got them in a good position, simply adjust the levers/controls to where your hands are etc. That should do it, with minimal effort.

I would stay far away from drag bars. They are good for short trips, but can get uncomfortable over 100 miles. Good luck...

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
OldManTod said:
Hey everybody, the Apes gotta go, I am doing some serious big mileage this summer and I know the apes aren't going to cut it, so I am asking you guys for some ideas and input.

Here are the basics 95 FXSTC, standard foot controls, but for a 5'6" guy, they are a reach, so that may play into which bars I goto.

I am thinking some type of pull back risers with a handlebar that has a very slight angle, definitely not a straight bar, but then again, I don't like the buckhorns either.

I am going to have to put a windshield on there, especially something that will also block the wind for my passenger.

Any recommendations would be appreciated and by the way, if anybody is in the market for some apes, let me know.

T
Take some 3/4" PVC, elbows and then start cutting to what will feel good for you on the bike. Tape it in place to check it. Once you have it, measure them and start looking through the catalogs for the one that comes close.

·
Swms w/Bowlegged Women!
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ape info...

16.5 wild one chubby's and if you are interested, I would include all the braided cables, used for about 6 months last summer, no scratches or bugs or anything, traditional bike freak care, polished every weekend, the usual...

I can e-mail some pix if you guys are intersted...

as far as pvc piping, that is a pretty good idea, I am definitely going to stay away from the drag bars..

T

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
bars

Maybe try some stock Wide Glide bars, they have a 10" rise which would bring you down quite a bit, but probably still have the width you may like. You can usually find them on e-bay cheap. I paid $30 for mine (new), I will be going to a Flanders 12 1/2" later so I'm not out much $$

greg

-2$en#e-

·
Swms w/Bowlegged Women!
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Greg...

I cleared my inbox, can you resend??

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
A tip that someone past to me as follows.
sit on your bike and get someone to stand in front and hold onto the bars to
steady the bike. put your feet up on your pegs, shut your eyes then put
your hands out to what feels the ideal riding position. Now open your eyes
and take a look then you will know the rise that suits and how far forward /
back you need to go. Then just find bars to suit the measurements
It worked for me and I ended up getting the HD street slammer bars on my
Deuce.

·
Registered
108 Posts
wkohn, kev,
All good advice, I will be trying both ideas to determine the best bars for my Softail, too many choices out there and don't want to buy the wrong ones. Did that on a Sportster once right before a 2,000 mile trip (I was a lot younger then) I put on new bars and cussed them the whole way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 5-5 and had the same problem. I put on Carlini Supersweeps and what a difference. My arms are bent just right and don't get tired.

·
Swms w/Bowlegged Women!
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you order directly from Carlini??

T

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Here's my Carlini bars. Let me know if you like em and I'll measure them.
1995 FXDWG. I'm 5'7". The forward controls, Badlander seat, and the Carlini bars fit me just fine. The front wheel is 19" vice 21" stock.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Swms w/Bowlegged Women!
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thx

Thanks for the input guys, I ended up going with the Milwaukee Iron, they were a little cheaper (a lot actually) than the Carlini, I figured that I would give them a go first and if they totally suck, I can just throw carlini's on there.

For the carlini's, what cable length did you go with??

T

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Kev said:
A tip that someone past to me as follows.
sit on your bike and get someone to stand in front and hold onto the bars to
steady the bike. put your feet up on your pegs, shut your eyes then put
your hands out to what feels the ideal riding position. Now open your eyes
and take a look then you will know the rise that suits and how far forward /
back you need to go. Then just find bars to suit the measurements
It worked for me and I ended up getting the HD street slammer bars on my
Deuce.
Did the stock size cables still fit with the street slammers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts