V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a set of wheels coming and I thought what the hell, why not send the old rotors out and have them buffed up. But after digging around on eBay I see a whole ass load of polished rotors that are pretty cheap.... Are these to beware of? Anybody bought any of this stuff? One place was KC International Wholesale*store. Had prices like 40 bucks a pop. I don't know if they're good, bad or ugly but I would like to put a set on when I drop the wheels on the bike in a few weeks. I need some buying advice or polishing advice. I feel it would cost just about as much to polish the stokers as to just replace with some that have already been polished.

Anybody that's been down this road already please help.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How far down the grit line do you go? Can you use a sander? What's the best method? I might give it a shot.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I use 320-1800 or so. I use an attachment that fits in an electric drill. Others have said they used a palm sander with good results. It only takes about 30 minutes to polish out on side of a rotor.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
rpbrock said:
So I have a set of wheels coming and I thought what the hell, why not send the old rotors out and have them buffed up. But after digging around on eBay I see a whole ass load of polished rotors that are pretty cheap.... Are these to beware of? Anybody bought any of this stuff? One place was KC International Wholesale*store. Had prices like 40 bucks a pop. I don't know if they're good, bad or ugly but I would like to put a set on when I drop the wheels on the bike in a few weeks. I need some buying advice or polishing advice. I feel it would cost just about as much to polish the stokers as to just replace with some that have already been polished.

Anybody that's been down this road already please help.
I bought a pair of front rotors from them off of E-Bay. Very nice rotors! And they were $41 ea. I have seen rotors that were not as nice sell for 3 times as much. I have around 10,000 miles on them now and no problems at all.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
If ya look around you can pick up polished stainless for around $100 a piece...I did and there were numerous styles to choose from!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I ordered a couple of buffing wheels from The Eastwood Company several years ago and have been using the compound and wheels to buff all kinds of stuff. I think I paid less than $25 for all of it. Works well!

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm....

I know this is probably a dumb question but what are the stock rotors made out of... Stainless?

Eastman makes some kick ass stuff for polishing. Might be the cheapest way to go... they're gonna look like ass sooner or later anyway.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
if you end up deciding to buy instead of polish your own, give Hogpro a call. They're a sponsor here. I bought from them and was very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hogpro

They're great guys and I talked to them a few times. They were just a little out of my price range. Wished I could have given them the business on my wheels but I went discount HD instead. But I agree Hogpro has some nice wares....

So... what about about it guys... are all rotors made of stainless steel?

·
south of heaven
282 Posts
I was going to purchase those $40 KC International rotors but went with their floating 5-spoke ones to better match my thunderstar wheels. they look like really nice quality.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Skip using a bench buffer, wheels, and compound from start to finish on rotors unless you like to work for hours. You can polish them out waayy faster by sanding. I bought a new buffer and a couple of hundred bucks worth of supplies only to learn that the hard way.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
rpbrock said:
I know this is probably a dumb question but what are the stock rotors made out of... Stainless?

Eastman makes some kick ass stuff for polishing. Might be the cheapest way to go... they're gonna look like ass sooner or later anyway.
Steel...not stainless...you leave 'em out they'll rust

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
When I switched to the chrome laced I used a palm sander with some 220 paper and it was doing a pretty good job. I didn't polish them out, but just wanted to clean them up a bit. Didn't look like it would have taken long to really get a nice shine on them. I'm gonna take them off in a few months and do them for real.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts