V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2011 Street Glide a few months ago, which I love. However, I started a new job in Austin (live in Houston), and I wokr there four days a week. I love the roads around Austin (if you've never been there, you should check it out), and I can't ride my SG back and forth every week due to the amount of gear I have to keep in my car. Soooooo.....

I am seriously considering getting a 2007-08 Street Bob to have something to ride around in the evenings. What I want is a smaller, lighter more nimble bike that I can do some performance upgrades to if I want. Not completely sold on the Bob, thinking about a Vrod too, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Find a screaming deal on a used, 5 spd FXD or FXDL and drop a SE120R into it.

By the time you buy a new one, then bring it up to where it's fun to ride - you'll have dropped a whole lot and have a whole lot less. JMHO, BWTFDIK, YMMV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you thought about a Sportster 1200? I had one when I had my Road Glide and it is smaller, lighter, and more nimble than any Big Twin. I found the two complemented each other rather nicely sharing one garage. In two different locations you won't have to decide which one to ride :)

Alan

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
I just got a 2011 Street Glide a few months ago, which I love. However, I started a new job in Austin (live in Houston), and I wokr there four days a week. I love the roads around Austin (if you've never been there, you should check it out), and I can't ride my SG back and forth every week due to the amount of gear I have to keep in my car. Soooooo.....

I am seriously considering getting a 2007-08 Street Bob to have something to ride around in the evenings. What I want is a smaller, lighter more nimble bike that I can do some performance upgrades to if I want. Not completely sold on the Bob, thinking about a Vrod too, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm a little slow today but I think you want a second bike to keep at work.

If so, don't buy a Harley at all. Get yourself an evening beater bike. Maybe a used Hayabusa or something. Plenty quick and nimble in stock form. Great for quick blasts.

You can pick a used one up cheap enough. Plenty of fun for after work rides, and if anything happens to it while your back in Houston, you won't be that bummed out about it.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Agree with black05flhrci,

besides... leaving a Harley sittin' around in Austin, you may show up one morning to find it gone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
3 ways I would go:

I recently put my shovelhead FXB back on the road and been having a blast doing short rides. Feels like a dirt bike compared to the FLHT. Plus you get the fun of having a shovelhead...

FXDX. Mod at will.

Or... something like a KTM Duke would be a total riot. They're super light, the power to weight ratio is great, stupid handling, way way fun to ride. Cheap by comparison too. Wouldn't break your heart if it got stolen either.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I agree with the try something else suggestion. I had a water cooled Suzuki Bandit 1250 for a couple of years. Incredibly quick and fast, upright seating position, bullet proof motor and trans, and cheap, cheap cheap. Bought an 07 for $5k in early 2009, put 10K miles on it and sold it late in 2010 for $5K. Had the street speed and handling that no amount of money put into a Harley could match. What was fun was blowing past "biker dudes," watching them get on it and crawl up on me in the rear view, then walking away with a small twist. Evil, but fun. I'm now in the market for a Duc Monster. The FLTRX is a great ride, but there are other experiences.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Plenty of choices out there. If you want to stick with Harley then you can't beat a Sportster as far as being quick and nimble - great bike for city traffic and twisty roads. Plus, you can pick up a low mileage late model 1200 for $6-7k. I like the suggestion of buying a late model Dyna and dropping in a SE120 too, but you will need to commit a lot more $$$$ for that option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd go for a super glide or a sportster really. Either could be a lot of fun. Just like has been mentioned already, be prepared to dump some more cash to get it where you want it and keep it there.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
For me it was 120+ cu in, these big guns have more than enough grunt to make you stand up and take notice.Both my machines took launching them a little getting used to trying to control wheel spin.The second most important upgrade is brakes.These big guns will accellerate much quicker than most realize and you need brakes to scrub that speed in a hurry sometimes.You can save big money building an engine if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
18 Posts
XR1200. Buell 1125 or XB series.

Or do yourself a favor and look at a Suzuki SV650 or SV1000. Both are v twins, both were offered in a 'naked' version with upright seating positions, and both will absolutely spank a Harley in acceleration, braking and handling. A good clean second gen 650 (2003-2009) will run you well under $4k.

I personally believe that Harley makes the best cruiser on the road today. But if you want a fast, nimble sport oriented bike, look elsewhere to a manufacturer that specializes in them.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Find a screaming deal on a used, 5 spd FXD or FXDL and drop a SE120R into it.

By the time you buy a new one, then bring it up to where it's fun to ride - you'll have dropped a whole lot and have a whole lot less. JMHO, BWTFDIK, YMMV.
Have you thought about a Sportster 1200?
Or build up the engine in your FLHX.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Or build up the engine in your FLHX.
This can be a serious money pit,for those looking for big streetable power.In my hunt for the ultimate power plant it cost me big.Stroked out one of the Shovels to 93" loved for quite a while,then built up a complete salvaged bike (the least expensive way to go) with 124" including clutch and better brakes.Then while at R&R in NH tried out one of their 155" mule bikes,Bought the engine in pieces polished and assembled myself,stuck it into a modified, salvaged 06 FLT frame.Into this bike for a lot less than a new one,could not be more satisfied.If one has the mechanical ability and the desire no need for a second mortgage to get into a true hot rod.These machines built with TLC are as reliable as a stocker and can be as much as three times more powerful.
l

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Theres tons of fast J word bikes to choose from.

You can build a bike for the price of used bike. But then you won't have a used bike that can be sold to get your money back. Also you won't get the money out of the built up bike.

A smaller bike with a 95", xl, or j word bike isn't a bad route.

·
Registered
135 Posts
"quick and "harley davidson "dont even belong in the same sentence together.
Unless you have taken an oath to HD to never to look at another brand and have HD tatooed all over you then you should really take a look at other brands .Just about all of them have bikes built with performance in mind . You better know how to ride though if you climb on some 160 hp/400 lb bike.
You can spend a fortune pumping up a harley motor and all you'll have when your done is a bike that can pull away from other harleys.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Depends what you want. I am not against other brands. But Harley does make a comfortable riding bike, and I like working on Harleys.

My Concours 1000cc is only 98hp.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Used to live in Austin. Great roads. My suggestions:
1. 600cc sport bike
2. 600cc sport bike
3. 1200 sportster
4. v-rod
5. 600 cc sport bike

1 - 20 of 72 Posts