V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story long. I am without a bike for the first time in over ten years but I've got a pocket full of money.
For the first time in my life I am considering a sport bike. The top of the line metrics are about 10K. I would not have a HD but I would still have a wad of cash left over.

I could go out and buy a new HD and have some cash left to buy some performance upgrades and do dads and have an empty wallet again.

I could buy a used HD that some body has already upgraded and have some jingle left over but be riding yesterday's HD technology. IE older brakes, older EFI(if I go that way), etc...

Those 1000cc rice rockets and 15G's left in my pocket sure is tempting.

See, as my tag line says, "Live and Let Ride" is my motto. As long as I'm in the wind, I am not as concerned about what is under me.

OK, flame me, shame me or give me a voice of reason...

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...as already said, your money, your decision, and I 'll add, your pleasure......for as long as it last.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I was thinkin you could keep the pocket full a money, ALL OF IT, if ya did not buy a bike at all!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If there were no such thing as the Harley baggers I would be looking at the FJR1300, R1 engine but it is a "touring" bike.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Okay...if I had $25,000 to BLOW on a M/C I would do exactly the following:

1. go out and buy a BRAND NEW Honda RC 51 or a Suzuki TL 1000
2. find a clean, low mileage FXDWG and buy that

Both of these bikes can be bought (maybe both NEW if you find an MSRP dealer) and you could have the best of both worlds. That is just my opinion and if I had $25,000 to spend on a motorcycle...I'd have 2.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ksims,
I looked at a 96 WideGlide today. Only had 5400 miles and it cranked and sounded good but the forks were pitted and the overall appearance was lees than ideal for 5400 miles. It was a FL bike. Still wanted 12K for it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Buell - X1 - Limited Edition - White Stripe

If you want to stay American, and want something that will hold its value reasonably well, check out the Buell X1 - Limited Edition - White Stripe. Used ones are available from time to time on Cycle Trader.

The bike can hold its own with the best of them.........and the red paint job is stunning If you ever decide to hop back on a Harley, the X1 will be an accepted trade at a stealership.

nummy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hippo,

Haven't checked ins rates but I have been checking out the new Yama 600R. They had that 1300 tourer on the floor. Nice but I told my wife the only metric I am interested in is the sport bike. Anything else, I'll stick with HD.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
MilesOfSmiles said:
JimmyK,

Not having a bike isn't an option.

Cool, now what do you WANT to ride?

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
spend the damn money...you want harley...so go get one, you only live once. ***K the cash.

·
963 Posts
Hey Miles;
Keep an eye out on ebay- For 25 large you can get a screaming eagle deuce. Ride it like you stole it and then put it away or sell it. Good investment eigther way. No way to buy a stoker and dress it out for 25K like one of those!- My opinion and $1 will get you a hot coffee most anywhere!-Rob

·
Registered
544 Posts
Go test ride a V-Rod there are a few '02's showing up on eBay that have low miles, and what appears to be good deals. With 115HP, 1/4-mile times of 11.3, (this is the figure H-D puts out but I would cut a few tenth off if you're not a professional) it's not a slouch. But with the stage 1, exhaust and air filter with recalibrating the fuel map it's reported to be a 5-7 HP gain, not bad 120-122HP. Heck if you turn 11.8 that is still a butt haling street bike. Nicest thing is they don't have a lot of mods-options for it, like they do for the other models.

And if that is not enough, there are serious rumors that a big bore kit will be coming soon that will pump it up to 150HP. Just presenting this as an option.

Dave

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
You've allready gotten some pretty good suggestions,shirley you must know what'll make ya happy,we can't make up your mind for you.Decide,then go for it!
guido

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The R6 you are going to pay list for. There are some incredible deals out there right now, 954's and VFR800's for a little under 8 and 1100XX's for 9. Brand new, some leftover 02's. That leaves you plenty for an E-Glide standard.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a # of rides in the garage...

ride em all, like em all. An excuse is "extended test ride" for each. One thing I've learned during these "tests" is buy the bike for the kind of riding or roads you have nearby.

Want to cruise? Lots of city/suburban riding? Carry a passenger? Get the H-D.

Have great twisties nearby? Want HP thrust that will lengthen your arms? Get the sportbike.

Of course the H-D is fun in the curves, of course sportbikes can be taken in the city and carry passengers... but you know what I mean.

Oh, I like the suggestion... get one of each. Different tools for different situations. Can get a new FXD big twin and a new sportbike for less than $25K. Easy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I bought a Honda 600cc F4i 18 months ago. Ended up not liking it at all, and sold it. Thats not the point. What is is the resale. Surprisingly high, lost maybe $750. Apparantly it as rather rare to have a sport bike for sale with NO scratches/damage (LOL). Buy the sport bike carefully (easier to do with cash); if you change your mind sell it and get a harley.

ps, I just bought a brand new '02 Suzuki SV 650 for $5200 out the door. Certainly not on par, performance wise, with the 600 R, but a lot of fun none-the-less, and I still have the King.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts