V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never replaced the battery in my '97 FXSTS before, and well, it's totally dead now. It'll only hold a charge for a week or so before it doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter through a compression stroke. The local Harley dealer wants $78 for a battery, Batteries Plus wants $68 plus exchange, and I don't think the local Discount store has a motorcycle battery for me. I also looked on Optima's site to see if they had a gel cell for my bike, but they don't appear to. What do you guys normally replace your battery with and from where?

·
Terrorists suck!
647 Posts
I get 5 years out of the HD battery. That is hard to beat. For me I will only buy the HD battery. One of the few things I recccomend over aftermarket.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Get the newer AGM battery from HD. Best one out there for your application.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Either HD or Deka. Deka makes the Harley batteries. Not sure which Deka battery is for your FXSTS, but the Deka battery for dressers is the ETX 30L. There is a distributor in Nashville that sells them for 78.00. Other than the main sidepost connections, there are two threaded holes on the top of each post to connect extra accessories like bat tenders, alarms, heated clothing etc so you don't have to pile stuff up on the side posts.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.

·
Banned
873 Posts
HD battery, like everyone else said. I use a tender in the winter, my '01 still has it's original battery.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
I got 4 years on the stock battery and it still had life left. Replaced it with an Odyssey which I sold after a few months of aggravation. Went back to the OE (AGM) on the recommendations of the forum doods and haven't looked back.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
I got 4 years on the stock battery and it still had life left. Replaced it with an Odyssey which I sold after a few months of aggravation. Went back to the OE (AGM) on the recommendations of the forum doods and haven't looked back.
had a problem with that battery as well...it could't crank over a mildly built evo..the H-d battery went in and has been in for 3 1/2 years now....

·
Registered
404 Posts
HD AGM (Advanced Glass Matt)
Withstands vibration much better then standard lead plate/acide batteries.

I used to kill a standard battery almost every season in my FXR due to vibration. the HD AGM has held up for 3 season's and still is strong.

I use the HD AGM in both the FXR and FLHT along with quick pigtails hooked up to battery tenders all year long and it has eliminated any battery related issues for me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have the stock '97 battery in my FXSTS. I was just wondering if there was anything better out there. I'll probably go get a battery at the dealer during lunch.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
HD AGM for me too. I get 5 or 6 years out of 'em.

·
Registered
185 Posts
you can go to Yasa site, www.yuasabattery.com, list model and years of your's bike and have a choose between some different tipes. The one marhed hl are premium tipe, it means have more starting power than the others and are told to do rather well. Here in italy you can have one of those for about 120 Usd while the HD costs more than 270Usd. No doubt for me also because after the stator gone the original did not lasted too much

·
Registered
41 Posts
I learned the hard way, I was cheap and went to Wally world and bought one of their cheappies. Lasted about three month then died. stranded me in a galaxy far far away.

Chris.

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
The HD AGM battery here too! They cost a little more but are great batteries. You get what you pay for in this case.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Battery

After using acid batteries for decades and seeing them go down in a few months , I finally ordered a sealed one from JCWhitney. They said it would be 4 weeks for delivery but I was tired of short life spans and ordered it anyway. 4 days later it was in the bike fresh from the factory. This may be a rarity for quickness but they don't get any fresher than that. That was 2years ago and it's still holding at 12.84 volts.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
If anyone ever sees an optima type battery for a motorcycle send me a PM. I would love to have a battery like that on my bike. I have one in my SUV and that is one cranking SOB. Well made battery, strong cranking amps, etc.

I will have to remember JC Whitney should I need a battery in the future. I still have the factory battery on mine and it has been good thus far even though it is 3 years old. I have always kept it on one of the HD chargers though. I assume that has extended the life of it.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
beware the discount batteries. i have seen many time where the battery actually was the cause of expensive repairs.(regulator, stator, starter motor and even the ecm).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts