V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
http://www.hdtrader.com/display/picture.asp?sku=19187 fixed it for you Gordito. I dont really have an answer for you as i just sold my txchopper for just about the same you are asking. look in my profile. How are you advertising? locally at a dealership, on consignment somewhere or other....let us know...do you have any bites or just nothing at all?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Man... that is a gorgeous bike and the price seems more than fair, although I see another nice bike their for $15,500 and better photography. It isn't selling either. You don't list the miles and maybe you should list the manufacturers complete specs. I would be worried about who did the upgrades too.

I think the used custom bike market is soft, especially for those who can't work on their own bikes.

I didn't know this site even existed... possibly they aren't marketing themselves correctly which means people aren't seeing your bike.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
being pre-owned and 2 years old, they probably cant secure financing to meet their budget.
term is shortened, and interest is raised on pre-owned. they can purchase new, go long term with low interest and probably have a payment at around half the amount.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8-Ball said:
Man... that is a gorgeous bike and the price seems more than fair, although I see another nice bike their for $15,500 and better photography. It isn't selling either. You don't list the miles and maybe you should list the manufacturers complete specs. I would be worried about who did the upgrades too.

I think the used custom bike market is soft, especially for those who can't work on their own bikes.

I didn't know this site even existed... possibly they aren't marketing themselves correctly which means people aren't seeing your bike.
The mileage (2200 miles) is listed. I could mention the fact that all mods were performed by the dealer. Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Going to Market

I think it may have to do with how you have to list it on that site. You can't leverage the Big Dog brand name. When I was looking around, BD and AIH were the 2 brands that the finance folks would even talk to you about. Kit bikes and small manufacturers with no dealer network, (Specialty Construction), aren't as appealing to a lot of buyers who want the security of warranty work and dealer support. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
claydbal said:
being pre-owned and 2 years old, they probably cant secure financing to meet their budget.
term is shortened, and interest is raised on pre-owned. they can purchase new, go long term with low interest and probably have a payment at around half the amount.

Actually, it's sittting on showroom floor at the BD dealership. Financing is available. Rates depend on your credit scores.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pac a Steel said:
I think it may have to do with how you have to list it on that site. You can't leverage the Big Dog brand name. When I was looking around, BD and AIH were the 2 brands that the finance folks would even talk to you about. Kit bikes and small manufacturers with no dealer network, (Specialty Construction), aren't as appealing to a lot of buyers who want the security of warranty work and dealer support. -2$en#e-
I've had over 1200 hits on it so far. There is no column for listing it as a BD, but the ad says it.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
Gordito said:
Actually, it's sittting on showroom floor at the BD dealership. Financing is available. Rates depend on your credit scores.
yes rates do depend on fica score, but you will pay higher rate for shorter term on pre-owned.
not knocking your bike or trying to argue-----just answering the question you asked.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
claydbal said:
yes rates do depend on fica score, but you will pay higher rate for shorter term on pre-owned.
not knocking your bike or trying to argue-----just answering the question you asked.

You're right. Unfortunately for me, patience isn't one of my virtues. I told myself I would sell the Road King Custom and BD before plunking down the cash on the Street Glide. The Road King sold in less than a week.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Like others have said someone getting financing on one of these could be a PITA. So your buyer is going to be a guy most likely who has cash burning a hole in his pocket. Biggest deal I see is that the current models all have right side drive which I understand is quite an improvment in how they ride. Plus the newer models have upped the motor size etc. I think you are going to take more of a depreciation hit than you are asking. Beautiful bike though, if I was looking for a chopper I would be talking to you about it.

One last suggestion. Have you tried Ebay? I have bought and sold lots of big dollar items on ebay and it is a real means to not only advertise but sell something like this. Biggest deal is it gives exposure to lots more buyers. For me I peruse ebay all the time and just last night pulled the trigger on a bar hopper but didn't get it. I never peruse these other internet selling sites including the one you have it listed on. So put it up on ebay it is easy to do and cheap to list, just be sure and put in all the fine print in terms of as is where is and required method of payment, etc. study some other adds for the fine print terms you will need and use them as a go by. Good luck, there is someone out there looking for just what you have to sell you just have to find them, or make it easy for them to find you.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road Glider said:
Like others have said someone getting financing on one of these could be a PITA. So your buyer is going to be a guy most likely who has cash burning a hole in his pocket. Biggest deal I see is that the current models all have right side drive which I understand is quite an improvment in how they ride. Plus the newer models have upped the motor size etc. I think you are going to take more of a depreciation hit than you are asking. Beautiful bike though, if I was looking for a chopper I would be talking to you about it.

One last suggestion. Have you tried Ebay? I have bought and sold lots of big dollar items on ebay and it is a real means to not only advertise but sell something like this. Biggest deal is it gives exposure to lots more buyers. For me I peruse ebay all the time and just last night pulled the trigger on a bar hopper but didn't get it. I never peruse these other internet selling sites including the one you have it listed on. So put it up on ebay it is easy to do and cheap to list, just be sure and put in all the fine print in terms of as is where is and required method of payment, etc. study some other adds for the fine print terms you will need and use them as a go by. Good luck, there is someone out there looking for just what you have to sell you just have to find them, or make it easy for them to find you.
Thanks loads for the advice dude. I hadn't considered ebay. Will check it out

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Here is the crux of the entire store bought chopper game.

A chopper is supposed to ooze with the personality and passion of the builder.
It is difficult to "own" the personality and passion if someone else built it.

That bike looks great -- but buying it would be like taking home and raising someone else's dog.
Everyone wants their own dog and everything about that bikes says that it is someone else's idea of the perfect dog.

Does that make any sense?

<no offense to Dogs> :D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jams said:
Here is the crux of the entire store bought chopper game.

A chopper is supposed to ooze with the personality and passion of the builder.
It is difficult to "own" the personality and passion if someone else built it.

That bike looks great -- but buying it would be like taking home and raising someone else's dog.
Everyone wants their own dog and everything about that bikes says that it is someone else's idea of the perfect dog.

Does that make any sense?

<no offense to Dogs> :D
I don't necessarily disagree with your statements, but the reality is that the majority of riders don't wrench on their bikes so having a chopper that "oozes the personality of the builder" is still someone elses personality. Unless you are involved every step of the way, you are going to buy someone elses idea of what is cool.
All of that having been said, I appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
selling your ride

Personally I think it's a damn good looking chopper and it seems to be priced right. I agree with trying to sell it on Ebay. I've sold a couple of bikes on Ebay. One a 2003 RoadGlide and a 2005 Ultra. I ALWAYS ask for a cash advance immediately after the sell just to make sure they are serious. I think $500 non-refundable as long as you are completely honest in your ad.
Just my -2$en#e- worth....

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Gordito said:
I don't necessarily disagree with your statements, but the reality is that the majority of riders don't wrench on their bikes so having a chopper that "oozes the personality of the builder" is still someone elses personality. Unless you are involved every step of the way, you are going to buy someone elses idea of what is cool.
All of that having been said, I appreciate your input.

The point that I was making is that it is sort of like buying a Rembrandt and calling oneself an artist because they own a painting.

I just have a bias against store bought choppers.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jams said:
I just have a bias against store bought choppers.
And THAT is basically where your opinion comes from. Understood.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts