V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my bike the way it is, but what a pain to keep looking good. I am seriously considering a change and am looking for some opionions. That should be easy enough, everyone has one...
First idea: repaint the tins a creamy white and add the black fin collection of parts to my bike.
Second idea: strip all the paint off the tins, leave some sanding scratches, put on a black Harley logo and clearcoat everything. Yeah, kind of like the FXR from the movie.
Third idea: same as second one but with the addition of a black stripe down the center.

Any thoughts on these ideas or experience keeping them looking nice? Pictures of my bike in it's present state can be seen below my signature.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Well it wont be as fast if its not black:whistle:

My bike is black with ghost flames and i keep it clean but im not anal about it.%[email protected]

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must be anal then. But it's too late for me to change now...
I take my bike into prisons with Bill Glass Champions For Life, and it can be a real pain to keep it looking good on the road. No matter how much the inmates are told, there is always someone who just has to touch it. I may not have the greatest paint job in the world, but I do keep it clean and waxed. The fine scratches, swirls, etc that seem to accompany black are just about driving me crazy. I don't want to turn this into a discussion on how to care for black paint, there is plenty of info on that in other threads. I just want some opinions on the proposed paint schemes.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I don't like the black at all. It isn't so much it is hard to keep clean. But it is impossible to keep the swirl marks under control. Can't wait until I do my custom paint job.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I'd use the black as a base & look for something you like to go on top. Tribal, flames, pin stripes -- I've seen some great looking pin stripes. Too much work the other ideas, and it won't add one speck of horsepower. Oh, and with the money you save go black pipes.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, color is a personal opinion, and IMHO black looks better on it's worst and dirtiest day, than white/cream/whatever does on it's best day...

Maybe you could try silver, with some black flames, or something. Silver is easy to keep clean, and by having some black in there, you'll still have some of the original color that you liked.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I didn't want to keep the black but instead of painting my detach. tour pack and fairing, I am keeping black with white ice pearl, and just some ghost flames on the tank, simple paint job, but after 50k miles and a few nicks and scratches its time.

bad dad-looking forward to thanksgiving when I hand over my parts to pat, I saw his work in person and it looks top notch @ an affordable price, I am sure I will be very happy

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a picture from the '02 P&A catalog. For some reason, the look of that bike always struck me.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was told that factory Harley black has the least amount of clear-coat. Dont know if its true but got it from an employee at the dealer. Im having some airbrush work done with explicit instructions to make sure theres a good layer of clear-coat on there. I'll see if it helps with the dam swirls.

·
Pay Up!
207 Posts
So either live with it, paint it a color/pattern that helps it always look clean or scuff it up and make it look dirty and be happy! :wacko:

I kinda like the idea or scuff'n it up (to bare metal in places -make it look like it has had 6 or so coats of paint worn through) put a nice 2' stripe (BLACK) down the sides of the tank, 1 down the fenders and clear coat!

A nice shiny HD logo on each sides of the tank as well would be sweet!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I keep my 1998 vintage black putt washed, polished and well waxed. I live on a terrible dirt road covered in stones and small gravel. The bike looks great all the time standing in the sun even when dusty after a ride. When you take a light to it however, it's swirl city. Can't be helped no matter how anal one is. I use 3-M hand glaze after every wash which hides the swirls until the next wash. Look at your chrome close and it isn't much different. At the end of every year I hit my bike with a buffer and some Top Of The Line buffing polish. This removes all of the swirls from the summers rides and washes and she looks brand new again. It is a continual process. All my other vehicles are silver which does not show any swirls. That does not mean they are not there. If you keep your black bike washed and polished, how does it look standing a few feet away? Thats how the world most generally looks at your bike. I get compliments like "Wow that bike is more then 10 years old...Looks brand new" and that is during the riding season long before my winter detail and polish. Black is black. Enjoy it for what it is and give it a good annual detail. The paint will look new for decades to come. Over doing the polish is not good either. The 3-M hand glaze provides a nice deep shine, and does not remove any material. A good coat of Yellow wax keeps it as protected as it can get. A annual detail keeps it looking showroom new.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Misterb said:
Well, color is a personal opinion, and IMHO black looks better on it's worst and dirtiest day, than white/cream/whatever does on it's best day...

Maybe you could try silver, with some black flames, or something. Silver is easy to keep clean, and by having some black in there, you'll still have some of the original color that you liked.
Hey, Hey, Hey. I happen to own white. I am planning on a pearl ghost flame to set it off. But, it doesn't look that bad!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ive grown up around a very nostalgic bunch of riders. Family and freinds alike. Been told many times that there are only two colors for a Harley. Black and not black!{salute(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, Hey, Hey. I happen to own white. I am planning on a pearl ghost flame to set it off. But, it doesn't look that bad!!
The good thing about white is it matches your range and refrigerator.:whistle:

Just kidding.
If everybody liked the same thing, they'd only make one thing.
And that would be really boring.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I beg to differ on the white pearl as well....

It's all in how you use it! :)

Yes black looks great, especially when mirror reflective....but it is just so hard to maintain, and we ALL know how easy it scratches...

Just sayin...
Pat

1 - 20 of 44 Posts