V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been at least 7 years since I've been on this board. A lot happens in that time.

We had our daughter 10 years ago and my riding dropped significantly. 7 years ago we had a son and my riding went to almost nil. I still managed to squeeze out one more trip about a year after he was born, but finances and other issues took over. Can't put two car seats on a bike and my wife's job had it so that I was the one dropping the kids off at daycare every day. I'd still squeeze out a small ride now and then, but didn't really ride much. Bike ended up buried under some stuff and I started doing more woodworking.

Fast-forward to last year. We bought a new house outside of town with a shop. We got moved in and everything settled. Finances are doing better. Kids are older. Kids are showing interest in riding on the back of the bike. I finally get a few mechanical issues fixed on the bike and we take a few small rides.

Then dad invites my daughter and I on a weekend trip over labor day weekend. The bike still needed some work before it'd be ready for a longer trip and my daughter has never ridden longer than 20 miles in one sitting. I ask the wife and she says go for it... I spent the next 2 months getting the bike ready. New tire, new brake rotor, new mirrors (old ones never really worked well after I replaced the handle bars), normal maintenance. I take the daughter on a 2 hour shake-down ride. She does well, but complains about her bo0ody vibrating and her 'arm hairs hurt'.

We get her a long-sleeved shirt for the arm hairs and I tell her that dad's bike will ride a lot smoother than my older 2005 883L. She can ride on the back of either of our bikes during the trip.

Over the labor day weekend, we did about 1300 miles in 4 days to northern Arkansas from DFW area. She mostly rode on the back of my bike with me, but she also rode on dad's bike some.

The sporty ran great through the weekend, but it reminded me of a few things that are annoying on it during long rides... namely, the lowered shocks and the poor comfort of the stock seat.

I think I've put more miles on the bike in the last few weeks than I have the last 7 years. The bike is still running well. The kids are both enjoying riding on the back to different after-school stuff (sports practice, piano, etc). The wife even mentioned getting a babysitter so we can take the bike to dinner in the near future... which I thought was interesting. She's never liked riding on the back of the sporty. The bike I had when we met was a '06 Night Train with a sundowner seat that road like a couch compared to the sporty.

All that to say, I'll probably be around a bit more again. I have some plans for the sporty. I had some thoughts about picking up a used Night Train, but for now the sporty is paid for and the upgrades I want to do are nowhere near the cost of another bike. Long term goal is to play with the sporty for a few more years. Take it on a few longer trips each year with the kids, and then look for a different bike to add to the stable at that time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
get an evo road king or somthing to relax on...set it... forget it...sporties are for bar hopping and tree climbing...one here 94' rk for 3400 bay area craigs...says hes moving...prob take 3...i might look into it

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Welcome back.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Keep the sporty and try to finagle a touring machine. I think you will be happier in the long run (pun intended). When the kids are old enough, they can ride the sporty and you and the wife will enjoy the larger, more comfy ride.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
bigbadal
Premium Member

Joined Oct 30, 2007
2,000 Posts

Keep the sporty and try to finagle a touring machine. I think you will be happier in the long run (pun intended). When the kids are old enough, they can ride the sporty and you and the wife will enjoy the larger, more comfy ride.

2000 posts for "Big Battle" (wooo hoo!)
Some sort of milestone?
I'm not sure if we should be proud though Al ... haha!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It'll be a few years, but I think that is an end goal.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts