V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran drag pipes for years then Supertrapps, Thunder Headers, SE and Pro Pipes. On the sport bikes Scorpion was my fave. No Shield ,No Helmet, No Earplugs = "WHAT DID YOU SAY?"
The last few bikes purchased I have removed whatever loud pipes installed and bought take off stock pipes "cheap" from the dealer. I wear a helmet and earplugs and run a shield most of the time.
With the plugs I don't hear the motor and wind so much, just the pipes. Sweet mellow puh puh puh. For my 55th birthday I got tinnitus. Sounds like the salvation army year round.
I don't pss off my neighbors anymore. Even with the plugs I hear more around me. I can hear myself think. Just a warning to you younger folks. Skilled riding saves life. Loud pipes can F it up.
If you want POWER and SPEED buy a Busa. HP gains from loud pipes are a joke, 10/20 hp? If you want to make noise buy a LOUD horn, now that might save your life.
Just saying. I like stock pipes. Will anyone admit or testify? We are the silent minority. Randayn

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good for you!!
To each their own. I like mine just a bit over stock. Done the drag pipe thing years ago...been there, done that. I still like to hear that distinct HD rumble though.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for you!!
To each their own. I like mine just a bit over stock. Done the drag pipe thing years ago...been there, done that. I still like to hear that distinct HD rumble though.
Hey Dave, Have you noticed the distinct change in the sound of the motor over the years. I had a chance to run a shovel, an Ironhead, an Evo and a Twinkie FI, all at the same time in my garage. The sound of each was so different.
The Ironhead is my favorite. put ta putput. The shovel puttata putput. The Evo put taput taput taput. The twinkie putput putput putput. it was a symphony.
What I don't like is the rrrr rrrr pop pop. I love the sound of hearing each fire. The idle of a Harley is music. The LOUD Roar to my ear is obnoxious. JMO.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
At 50 years old i'm concerned about my hearing as well. That's why i wear ear plugs when i ride most of the time. However, it's not due to my loud pipes. Yes, they are kinda loud but it's mostly due to wind noise. Most riders don't realize the wind noise does much more damage than loud pipes.

You are right, loud pipes don't equal extra HP, but stock pipes definitely suck.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I hate loud pipes. Makes bikers look like A-holes. Loud doesn't equate to fast/performance.
I swap out Harley pipes for performance, not sound, and will always choose a quieter pipe.
But it's a personal thing.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like the tone of a good pipe, which has nothing to do with loudness. A lot of loud pipes are just that; loud. They don't sound good to me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got the V&H Bigshots on my scoot. Just enough so that as I'm puttin' on the helmet and other gear I can feel the thump in my chest. The SE 203 cams I just put in make her sound a lot like the older scoots ...potato potato. Give a nice little pick me up too. I'm a bit paranoid about having the idle set too low though (oil delivery and all). Hey, anyone know if the oil pump upgrade in the hydraulic can chain tensioner kit I just put in help with low speed oil pressure? ( I put in the 25284-11 kit )

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I drove truck for year's Ive had the extended hood W900 3408 Cat fueled to the nutt's blah blah,, But when you finish a 16 hour day and shut that thing off its almost like your bowels release... Yeah I understand the pipe thing. I love mine.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I bought a new set of pipes recently. I got ones that were quieter then the ones I was replacing but still louder then the original ones on the bike. I never liked how loud the old pipes were.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tried SE slip ons for two weeks and had more power but to damn loud. went back to stock. They do get louder after a couple of years. SE's still nailed to the shed wall. :dunno: gettin old I guess

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
If you like the stock pipes, then there the pipes for you. As for me, I will stay with my Pro Pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
quiet is good! i worked many days trying to keep the bike quiet while maintaining power. but i actually rode, not parked at the bar.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
If you like the stock pipes, then there the pipes for you. As for me, I will stay with my Pro Pipe.
@gree:

Pro pipe hi output on my SE 120R bike and D&D Boss Fatcat with big bore quiet baffle on my bagger. Rode a stock 2011 or 12 Road glide the other day and it was too quiet. Just not my preference, but neither is obnoxiously loud.

I guess we should all just relish the freedom we enjoy for now to not have to run legislated exhaust on our bikes.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
@gree:

Pro pipe hi output on my SE 120R bike and D&D Boss Fatcat with big bore quiet baffle on my bagger. Rode a stock 2011 or 12 Road glide the other day and it was too quiet. Just not my preference, but neither is obnoxiously loud.

I guess we should all just relish the freedom we enjoy for now to not have to run legislated exhaust on our bikes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I dislike loud pipes....
That said I'm running Rinehart slip-ons 'cause I do like the deep rumble. I don't find my pipes too loud even when I crack the throttle.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have an 07 Deluxe, I drilled the baffles out, was'nt easy but they did come out. I love the deep rumble but they are getting louder and louder, I have'nt heard any slpi on's that I like but i also have'nt heard Rineharts, would I need to change anything for slip on's ??

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I have found that a helmet that fits the shape of your head helps with wind noise also. Pipes on my FXR are stock. Dennis

1 - 20 of 34 Posts