V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just purchased one this has got me worried. The bikes are way too lean and the HD download is garbage. Please read below. Is anyone here having problems with the 2006.

Just came back from HD dealer. They are installing exhaust, SERT, and CVO injectors on my 06 SG. So, there have been a huge number of questions about why the 06 Touring models won't work with an HD download, so here I go. I have done a lot of research about the lean running conditions on my SG. I learned that to meet EPA standards HD not only had to remap the ECM, but they also installed smaller fuel injectors to restrict the amount of fuel delivered to the intake. So for those of you that are currently running downloads on your 06 touring bikes then no matter how you bike is running, I'll put money it that you are still running extremly lean. To confirm that just pull your plugs and read them. If they are white, then your lean. The plugs can be miss read if your bike has just idled for a period of time.

The SERT can correct this problem BUT, ( there's that word ) the SERT, PBCIII will not deliver anymore fuel than what the stock injectors are capable of. I was told they are able to deliver the proper amount of fuel. Then my next question is then why does MOCO feel that they need to install CVO injectors into the 06 bikes to fix this problem. Those injectors are commonly used when going to a 103 kit from my understanding.

So, the good news and bad news........I think my bike is going to run great with the CVO injectors, true duals , and the SERT. For those of you that are running the downloads, I think you are probly still running extremly lean, no matter what download you do from HD they still have to meet EPA standards, so you do the math. Just trying to inform everyone. HD is not fixing problems like this unless you complain about it. Look at how many bikes are having this problem, and it's not even spring yet when HD will sell the crap out of bikes till the end summer. Get your services done early this year, or you may be waiting a couple few weeks to get your bike serviced. I will post my results when my bike is done. I have a good dealer so I know they will tune it right on the dyno.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
This guy just took it up the A$$ from his dealer. Unless he's running a super tricked out 103 or larger, his stock injectors are fine. The dealer downloads/flashes have always been crap(leave you running way to lean), and not just for the 06's. The SERT in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing (obviously not his stealer), works just fine with significant mods and the stock injectors/TB. My sales manager at the local shop is running the new HD 113" with the 3.91 stock injectos/stock throttle body and his 06 Road Glide is getting 122 tq and 115 hp.:yikes: He's not running lean either.

Short story...your 06 RK will be fine, just make sure your dealer knows his head from his a$$

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
I think HD may be encountering problems with the '06s due to smog reasons (FI or pipes), just my opinion that's all. Look at HD's ratings for 05 and earlier models and you'll see that the Road King and others get very high marks on quality. A PCIII, a set of V&Hs, and a good dyno man should eliminate most of the problems. It is a reason to be concerned and personally I would prefer an 04 or 05 if I were in the market.:yes:

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...desc=Motorcycles&mfgname=Harley%2DDavidson%AE

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about the 06 carbed road kings, are they running this way also?? I plan on leaving it stock, But will it need to be re jetted just to run o.k. ?? Mine should arrive march 10th. just would like to know what I am in for.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My '06 RK Classic runs great and it's bone stock. Maybe it does run lean, but so does my pickup truck and my wife's car - that's how ALL new motor vehicles run these days, thanks to the EPA. I'm guessing that Harley engineers probably know more about making Harleys run right than I do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I just don't get why folks think that they MUST modify a new bike's exhaust, intake, and fuel system immediately just to make it useable. They run fine if you'll just leave them alone. If they didn't run fine stock, don't you think Harley would have a huge problem on their hands - maybe even a recall?

If you simply can't bear to leave it stock, at least get it broke in first before you start messing with it. I'd say leave it stock for 5,000 miles before you go tweaking things to make it "run better", which if truth be told is probably the biggest cause of things "running worse" around here.

·
FNG
320 Posts
Sorry but I gotta call BS. Just because someones friends cousin's brother inlaws girlfriends neighbors kids friends dads coworker.... go some POS dealer to tune his bike doesnt mean ALL 06 anything run like crap. I mean come on.

I have a 06 RK Custom, 95" Muk carb thunder header..blah blah blah and it runs like a champ.

had my 1k service done not long before I put it away for the winter ( 2k miles now ) and I havent had 1 issue. It runs strong... gobs of torq and I'm totaly pleased with the bike so far....

anyhow... dont beleave everything you read or hear...

d.

·
Registered
529 Posts
All of the new stuff runs lean,even the 01's-05's. There is no way that Harley put injectors on the 06's so marginal that the fuel can't be fattened up a little by increasing the pulse width in the ECM. Injectors don't work this way, the duty cycle would be murder just to get the thing to run.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
bedemonster said:
The SERT in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing (obviously not his stealer), works just fine with significant mods and the stock injectors/TB. My sales manager at the local shop is running the new HD 113" with the 3.91 stock injectos/stock throttle body and his 06 Road Glide is getting 122 tq and 115 hp.:yikes: He's not running lean either.
I'm using the stock injectors (02 not 06) on my JIMS 120" motor. No problems. ;)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Dave1200C,

Take your ride down to Roeder Harley in Sandusky Ohio. I'm running an '03 FLHRCI with V&H Ovals and Stg. 1 air cleaner and SERT. Roeder tuned it on their dyno and I couldn't be happier for a stock 88. I know it's a fair drive down there from WNY but it was worth it. Many dealers have a dyno but don't yet have in-depth experience tuning... especially with the H-D SERT. Roeder does being they specialize in performance building motors.

In fact my RK is getting traded in next week on a new '06 FLHTCUI. As soon as I get 1000 miles on it, I'm planning to do the same thing @ Roeder with the new ride.

Tom

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
bedemonster said:
My sales manager at the local shop is running the new HD 113" with the 3.91 stock injectos/stock throttle body and his 06 Road Glide is getting 122 tq and 115 hp.:yikes:
Not meaning to hijack this thread for long, but I bet that Scoot is fun fun fun to ride. Makes one start thinking of going from 103 to 113. that 112 tq is sweet. Bedemonster would love to see a dyno sheet on that motor to see when the power comes on.

·
FNG
320 Posts
mtmtrspt said:
Dave1200C,

Take your ride down to Roeder Harley in Sandusky Ohio. I'm running an '03 FLHRCI with V&H Ovals and Stg. 1 air cleaner and SERT. Roeder tuned it on their dyno and I couldn't be happier for a stock 88. I know it's a fair drive down there from WNY but it was worth it. Many dealers have a dyno but don't yet have in-depth experience tuning... especially with the H-D SERT. Roeder does being they specialize in performance building motors.

In fact my RK is getting traded in next week on a new '06 FLHTCUI. As soon as I get 1000 miles on it, I'm planning to do the same thing @ Roeder with the new ride.

Tom
Roeders is where my 06 RK Custom came from, that place is awsome.

They got my bike in on a Wednesday... installed the 95 kit ,cams ,Thunderheader , carb and some misc chrome parts and tuned the bike.....I picked the bike up Saturday. Basicly in 3 days they got all that work done. I dont know about other places, but here in ohio thats amazingly fast for HD service.

d.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
This has been brought up in this forum and others many times about the '06's running lean, hot, etc.
and i have talked to quite a few that have taken care of the problem themselves by adding ac/less restrictive mufflers and SERT or PCIII.
I elected to let MOCO take care of the problem...
Mine was running extremely hot...couldn't keep it running at stoplights without twisting the throttle a bit...and then it stumbled after i started out, almost causing me to get rear-ended a couple times. after sitting for an hour or so while we ate at a restaurant, it would keep stalling if i didn't let it warm up for 3 or 4 minutes.
MOCO had the dealer send my ECM back to them for reprogramming and had the tech install the cvo injectors - i understand these injectors have 6 ports instead of 3 on the stock ones and the fuel is atomized better.
all i know is mine runs much better & cooler.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
My '06 RK Classic runs great and it's bone stock. Maybe it does run lean, but so does my pickup truck and my wife's car - that's how ALL new motor vehicles run these days, thanks to the EPA. I'm guessing that Harley engineers probably know more about making Harleys run right than I do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I just don't get why folks think that they MUST modify a new bike's exhaust, intake, and fuel system immediately just to make it useable. They run fine if you'll just leave them alone. If they didn't run fine stock, don't you think Harley would have a huge problem on their hands - maybe even a recall?

If you simply can't bear to leave it stock, at least get it broke in first before you start messing with it. I'd say leave it stock for 5,000 miles before you go tweaking things to make it "run better", which if truth be told is probably the biggest cause of things "running worse" around here.

Amen Brother! :)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
for what it is worth, my 06 RKC runs just fine as I have stated before. Only mods i have done are the stage 1 kit and V&H duals w/ oval slip ons. It might be lean, bit I have no way of knowing that. -2$en#e-

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
AZJOE said:
How about the 06 carbed road kings, are they running this way also?? I plan on leaving it stock, But will it need to be re jetted just to run o.k. ?? Mine should arrive march 10th. just would like to know what I am in for.
We have heard this story before. Leave it stock. :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: I think I even said that.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I have an 06 street glide with the dealer download screamin eagle pipes and airfilter with a K&N element and my bike runs good. I did just get my SERT last week so I am going to get it installed and have a local indy dyno it for me to tune it. I love this bike and would not trade it for anything.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Road Glider said:
Not meaning to hijack this thread for long, but I bet that Scoot is fun fun fun to ride. Makes one start thinking of going from 103 to 113. that 112 tq is sweet. Bedemonster would love to see a dyno sheet on that motor to see when the power comes on.
Glider,

He's running SE 264's so it doesn't get "on" the cam until about 3800 rpms...but hey with that many cubes he's still got plenty down low! With his Bassani headers and reverse megaphones; when he get's on it...whoa there cowboy, it's music to the ears:brows:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My bone stock '06 FLTRI runs like a three dollar watch. I think the problems get blown out of proportion. I have a good friend who works at the stealer- he told me that very few stock bikes come back - but many of the modified ones do. And it doesn't matter who does the mods, dealer or not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.