V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally…. A day without clouds & rain…. Me & my girlfriend are blasting south on RT 55 in Southern NJ heading for the Wheaton Glass Arts Festival. I look in my mirrors & see 3 motorcycles about a ½ mile behind me…they don’t seem to be catching up. The speed limit is 65 and were doing about 70 as I ease into the passing lane to overtake the car in front of us. I notice that one of the bikes behind us has broken away from the other 2 and is approaching at a very high rate of speed. It’s a Harley Springer…I can see it in my mirrors. I’m about ½ way past the slower car & the Harley is now inches behind us….we’re not on my Street Glide…. We’re in my Jetta TDI Sportwagen. I am doing about 75 now trying to get past the car next to us so Mr Springer can get past…
TOO LATE… in a moment of clearly irrational thinking, Harley-boy Springer decides to pass us between cars scaring the hell out of my girlfriend. Then, Harley-boy decides to take his “this-is–my-road-I-own-it” mentality a step further…. He jams on the brakes after cutting directly in front of us at 75 mph forcing me to do the same while swerving to avoid running his stupid ass over… which is what he deserved. Then, as I expected… he blasted off (ran away) at about 95 mph…. the cowardly thing to do. Of course, he gave us the obligatory “finger” after jamming on the brakes. It looked like he had practiced this routine many times… he was definitely a “pro”.
I’m 55 years old & have been riding since I was about 14. I own & regularly ride my Harley Street Glide. I was even wearing the mandatory Harley shirt to let the rest of the world know what I ride… guess Skippy Springer missed that. I don’t know why he sped up so fast behind us. I don’t know why he would not wait for me to finish my pass on the car next to us. I have no idea why he risked especially his own life my passing between 2 cars risking getting run over. I so much wanted to chase him… maybe bump him off the road head on into a tree. My girlfriend definitely wanted him hurt & hurt bad… he really scared her. She had never encountered anyone this crazed before. But he was gone. The entire episode took a few seconds. Glad I don’t own a gun…I think I would have busted a couple caps into Skippy… Skippy was no “kid” either…I’m guessing late 40’s…maybe early 50’s. What was he thinking? Why was it so important to get past me NOW? Who did Harley-boy think he was that he could just step into our lives uninvited & threaten us & the cars around us with great bodily harm?
It took about ½ hour for us to calm down…I was going back & forth deciding whether to try and catch up with Skippy or just letting it drop. We chose the latter.

I will remember Skippy though. & you never know Skip…. I still might find you…. & you should know this… I’m not sure what I’ll do if and when we encounter each other again…. kicking you off your bike at speed seems a little to tame... kicking you in the face... might be more suitable...

This is the #1 reason cage drivers HATE motorcyclists! & I concur! I think the surrounding car drivers would have given me an award if I had ran Harley-boy over like he deserved.

Someone's going to punch your ticket Skippy-Springer-boy...

·
Registered
765 Posts
That is what the norm is now with motorcycle riders.............................we are our own worst enemy. I have to add that the most inconsiderate riders I have run across are on cruisers, not just H-D, but cruisers in general.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
The guy is likely to have had one too many drinks, or one too many lines. He is probably not too long for this world. My condolences to his family in advance. They might as well get use to the idea.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That is what the norm is now with motorcycle riders.............................we are our own worst enemy. I have to add that the most inconsiderate riders I have run across are on cruisers, not just H-D, but cruisers in general.
@gree:..............

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Nonsense like that tends to bite back, and not from anyone else, but from that person's own actions. On his current course, that guy is probably going to reap the results of his stupidity.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah.. Skippy springer-boy is flirtin with a painful death in my opinion....

I don't know what it is with some riders.... they think they got the big Harley & that makes them all tough guys... I ride with mostly seasoned riders some of whom are ex dirt trackers.... they are all the nicest & safest guys to ride with... & still fast! This kind of behavior is inexcusable....

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the "get in front of the car & jam on your brakes" strategy springer-boy employed with me... I'm wondering if this is becoming the "norm" when a motorcyclist feels slighted, etc.... I doubt Skippy had the sense to think of it himself... most likely a copycat...fits with the rest of his behavior...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Haven't seen a bike do the jam on your brake thing - not a smart maneuver IMO. Looks like Skip had skipped class when they were teaching common sense lessons.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Haven't seen a bike do the jam on your brake thing - not a smart maneuver IMO.
That's an understatement....

I am curious on what made skippy so pissed, I guess he felt you pulled out in front of him? Or was it that "real bikers don't run synthetic" bumper sticker?

rkc

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
The guy is likely to have had one too many drinks, or one too many lines. He is probably not too long for this world. My condolences to his family in advance. They might as well get use to the idea.
@gree: Either by his own hand or the hand of someone he pisses off, these types usually get theirs. If he lives through it perhaps he will have learned something.

·
Registered
240 Posts
He probably Just left the office, traded his suit for some leathers and put on a false hair piece.
Bless him, he probably had some stress that day and needed to go into fantasy land.
As the English would say, "what a prick"! :whatever:

·
Registered
273 Posts
More like a dumb a$$ that wont live to be old and wise I think if he keeps riding like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most of those guys ride rockets, but a few decided to ride HD's... either way they will all end up looking the same... like road kill.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Most of those guys ride rockets, but a few decided to ride HD's... either way they will all end up looking the same... like road kill.
Here in NC I have never been split by a sportbike rider, but by many on cruisers.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Friend-

A few things...

1. My Pastor once said something that I'll never forget. He said...."There are two types of people in this world. The ones that see the bigger picture, and the ones that only see themselves."

I agree with that statement.

2. Since this is being posted in the motorcycle safety tips section, it is more of a probability than a possibility that more than one novice rider will also read this post. So please don't be offended by what I am about to say....which is that if a group of motorcycles, or a car, or a truck, are in your mirror, then please realize that they are a hell of lot closer than a half mile away. Try more like 500 feet. Objects in your mirror are a lot closer than they appear.

Thus everyone please remember, and this is important, The only way to keep that distance constant is by keeping the vehicles in question, in your mirror. Meaning, the next time you're in a situation like this and decide to pass, make sure to PASS! Downshift two clicks if you have to and go around the vehicle in question as if they were standing still.

3. The guy on the springer is an asshole. Sad and simple. Congratulations to you for keeping your emotions under control and doing the right thing. Which was to create even distance between yourself and that troglodyte.

Good luck and God Bless :)

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
What are the chances this is a member of VTF and will read the comments posted about his riding?

Possible but not probable. Even if he were a member, he likely doesn't visit the Rider Safety pages.

By the OP's description, he pulled just about every DO NOT in the book for riding the open road. His choice however, and that choice is a bad one IMO. Unfortunately for his family, the law of averages will catch up to him, and he will come out on the losing end.

RANT: I cannot agree with opinions concerning riders with attitude deficit disorder and the style of bike chosen. That is short-sighted and displays faulty logic. He does not represent the majority of motorcyclists, but, I'm not saying anything the reader doesn't already know. The public's perception of all riders is the one that suffers as the OP pointed out.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I usually wear a Ricer t-shirt so it balances out those ricer riders strutting about wearing Harley t-shirts.
My response in depth to this topic is it's own topic comparing Harleys and Hummingbirds..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Even if he thought you may have cut him off. (which it sounds like you didn't) it still doesn't warrant riding reckless.

I had a guy do this to me in his car while I was riding. I was in the slow lane and he was in the fast lane behind another car and was riding that cars ass. When he finally decided he was gonna pass him in the slow lane he realized I was coming up and couldn't get over. So he let me pass, got behind me, passed the car on his left and then got in front of me to slam the brakes. WTF? Then just sped off. The speed limit on this road 287 in Colorado is 60 mph. Both myself and the other car he was behind were going 65 mph.

It takes all kinds. That biker that brake checked you probably drives this way as well. Impatient and Reckless, no concern for others safety.

If springer boy wants to live life on the edge, so be it. But don't do it around others who actually want to live a long and enjoyable life.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here in NC I have never been split by a sportbike rider, but by many on cruisers.
OO When I lived in Ca, I'd see them doing stupid sh*t all the time. Was on an LA freeway and watch 2 dumba$$es splitting lanes (which is legal in Ca) on their back wheel. I'd be surprised if either of them is a live today.

That's not to say I haven't seen dumba$$es on other bikes as well, as I have. Just more on rockets than any other kind, probably mostly because it attracts a younger crowd... and supposedly with age comes wisdom (my wife will disagree of course :redrolf: ).

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
There are people who think everyone else should pay attention to them,
anticipate their' desires
and either get out of their way or actively clear the lane for them by speeding up or slowing down.

When two such self absorbed jerks try the same stupid move at the same time, a cop ends up tending to an accident survivor who complains:
"He cut me off!"
(Yeah...like he didn't intend to cut the other driver off...)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts