V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I cleaned the bike, I started noticing some discoloration in this area. It looks to me like it's getting really hot and discoloring.

What is this area? And should I be worried about this?

Right in the center of the picture.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
OK, so it looks like you have some chrome discoloration on your outer primary.

if it is from too much heat, I would guess it would be from the starter solenoid. If you just turn on the bike, does it get hot? (it shouldn't).

Maybe it did overheat some if you were having trouble starting it and kept on cranking it over. But it may also just be the chrome getting old. If the starter system is working properly and not overheating with normal use, than it is just cosmetic.

rkc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cole, I just cleaned the bike, and the discolored area looks as good as new again.

I did keep trying to restart the bike. But, given that it hadn't ran in a month, the battery died on me within a couple minutes of trying to restart it.

However, I can only assume the repair guy hit the starter button numerous times when troubleshooting the bike.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it does this again. The bike starts up rather easily. So, I can't see why the starter would overheat.

Thanks a lot for your input.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
It looks like exhaust stain to me. Is there any way you could have a leak directing exhaust toward that area?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
It looks like exhaust stain to me. Is there any way you could have a leak directing exhaust toward that area?
@gree: exhaust leak

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have concurrence! @gree:

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you ride two up that's gotta suck.

Better fix it before she finds you've be burnin the crap outta her leg.
:spank:

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The exhaust is on the opposite side of the bike...

And starting today, the starter button has been tempermental...

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
It is possible that you have an exhaust leak in your rear cylinder (exhaust gasket). When its running, put your hand in that area and see if you can feel any puffing...

rkc

·
Super Moderator
20,916 Posts
Looks like you might have a small exhaust leak in the rear jug. The air flow is carrying down and out over the cover where the soot sticks to the cooler surface. Probably an eddy that lets it linger in that area.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Exhaust, really, check it out asap!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
"the starter button has been tempermental"
That arm with a pedal on the other side is called a "kicker" :D It doesn't take much battery to fire her up. Wish my 82 had one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is possible that you have an exhaust leak in your rear cylinder (exhaust gasket). When its running, put your hand in that area and see if you can feel any puffing...

rkc
Yeah. I can feel puffing from that area. So, it's definitely exhaust.

How bad is it that it's leaking in that area? As in, should I refrain from riding it until I have the funds to get it fixed?

do you have a Battery Tender, if the bike does any sitting you should get one,
This bike hasn't been doing any sitting (aside from the time it's spent in the shop).

"the starter button has been tempermental"
That arm with a pedal on the other side is called a "kicker" :D It doesn't take much battery to fire her up. Wish my 82 had one.
Ya. I've given the kick start a try. I wasn't anywhere near successful. But, I'll give it a shot another time when nobody's looking. lol.

As for the button being tempermental, I'm fairly certain it's the contacts behind the button. I'm looking to get new controls sometime soon. The current ones aren't looking so good anymore. And the contact terminals were a mess.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Just try to tighten the flange nuts and see if the leak stops.
@gree: They will vibrate off if left loose too long. If one of the flange nuts is missing just replace it along with a flat washer and tighten. Your leak should stop.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
just to add in case you were not sure, they are talking about the nuts that hold the flange that hold the exhaust pipe to cylinders...

You also might need a new exhaust gasket which probably looks like the one here (check to make sure it is one or two nuts per pipe):

Which can be found here:

https://www.denniskirk.com/genuine-james/steel-core-exhaust-gasket.pH26247.prd/H26247.sku

Also spray some Wd-40 or the other (can't think of it) penetrating fluid on those nuts before working with them. You don't want to strip them.

rkc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait, I'm confused.

How would a loose bolt on the exhaust on the right side of the bike, be causing exhaust to be puffing on the left side of the bike?

(also, I've replaced the exhaust gaskets inside of 30 days ago.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wait, I'm confused.
How would a loose bolt on the exhaust on the right side of the bike, be causing exhaust to be puffing on the left side of the bike
It wouldnt. I may be "off base" here but, from the pic's it looks like only the solenoid and a small area around it are "blued", that takes allot of heat in that immediate area. You also mentioned your having problems with the cheater button so, I'm wondering if the solenoid got hot at one point. This could be caused by a short, (intermittent), or it's just old and wore out or, the starter dragging. Since the exhaust is on the other side, it's ruled out and, it couldnt be the upper jug gasket since it's above the solenoid and not close enough to cause it. And, if the gasket between the case and bottom of the jug were leaking, you'de see oil, not exhaust gasses. If you still think it's exhaust, put the bike in the garage or somewhere where theres absolutely no wind or air current's, fire it up then take a lit cigarette or, even better, a cigar, and hold it next to the solenoid and watch the smoke. If there is a leak close to the solenoid it will blow the smoke AWAY from it. Move the cig around till ya find the leak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts