V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a road king classic and want to change the ugly cow bell horn to something classic. I went to my local harley dealer and talked about retro-fitting a horn from a springer classic, the one that is on the front forks. It was too difficult for them to understand why I would not want a stock part on my bike. Can anyone give me any advise why this simple fit would not work? I don't want to spend $60 bucks in parts if it will not work. Safe riding and thanks, soca

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
soca said:
I ride a road king classic and want to change the ugly cow bell horn to something classic. I went to my local harley dealer and talked about retro-fitting a horn from a springer classic, the one that is on the front forks. It was too difficult for them to understand why I would not want a stock part on my bike. Can anyone give me any advise why this simple fit would not work? I don't want to spend $60 bucks in parts if it will not work. Safe riding and thanks, soca
Check this one out. This is what I have:

Al's Modifieds Horn Cover

I installed it on my bike and stuck a skull medallion on it. It looks like something that Harley should have made a long time ago...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If the horn you would like to install is a 12V 2 wire(hot, and grnd) horn, it should technically work. The hard part would be how and where to mount it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I hate the HD cowbell too. My idea is to remove it and install a HD #69005-85T classic horn in it's place, then maybe add a Stebel air horn like this guy if the classic horn isn't loud enough for me.

Anybody have photos of the HD classic horn mounted in place of the cowbell?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Anybody know where I can get an Ah-oo-gah horn?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
LOL :cheers: Thats great! Maybe I'll get the La Cucaracha air horn instead.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
timbo said:
Man that sounds like some poor chickin gettin choked.
I didn't know there was a sound to that.:roflback:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Glad it's not 2nd hand!:blink:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I was thinking... on my Softail, I deleted the cowbell and put two Hella Compact Trumpet horns behind the transmission, in front of the back tire, where the vapor canister should be. The Hella horns are about the same diameter as the vapor canistor, so with some creative mounting, they fit very nicely in that space. I suspect that the same might work on the touring bikes (horn where canister goes)

I think I paid about $20 for the set (high and low note) online. These horns will wake the dead and are virtually invisible on my bike... sounds like a Caddy when I whack the horn button. Scared the crap outta me the firt time I tested them out in the garage!

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...ies/Horns/Compact_Trumpet/Compact_Trumpet.jsp

They can be found in black as well as the red if you look around.

Also, your stock H-D horn is a Hella Compact Trumpet horn, low note, I think (it's stamped on horn body). Same horns are used on Hummers, last I noticed.

Make sure you use a relay (fused) if you add a second horn!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts