V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is cold and snow is in the air today, spent the day winterizing my Dyna and now it is all covered up and put away. now all we have to do is get the wifes bike home form the shop. the bike is fixed from her accident last Aug. and she says she is rideing it home as long as there in no snow on the ground. got to hand it to her, after her stay in the hospital amd 7 weeks getting well she is ready to go. THINK SPRING

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Cheers to your wife Sammy! Tell her we are all happy for you both.

Shoot, Spring will be here soon.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Tell me about it....it was only in the 70's here to day and I just got back from a ride. I was only able to ride for 7 hours......DAMN WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just couldn't help myself.......sorry folks. I'm definitely spoiled here in So Cal. Riding season will be back for y'all in no time.

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I do wish there were "more seasons" here. Doesn't change much. If it drops below 60 here, people get in a panic and it becomes a media event......................

Tony:cool:

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Sammy -

Sorry to hear that winter's come to your neck of the woods. I'm from Michigan, so I can relate. UGH!!!

Down here in HHI, SC, the weather is just starting to cool down enough to be comfortable riding. It's killer hot here in the summer, but YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOVEL HOT!! :D

Problem is, I'm still healing my arm up from surgery from a left turn cager accident that happened 4 years ago, and it's getting REEEEAAALLLLY frustrating to have a new bike in the garage when the weather's so great, and not being able to ride it.

I sure hope your wife heals up from her accident - if she has to have physical therapy, tell her to do her best on it - it makes a HUGE difference.

Hang in there!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys and gals i know it's cold and snowing but it is time to spend in the garage, new bars, mirrors, some chrome, and some beer. planning next years travels. the wife is getting better everday so on we go.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sammy,
You must be up in northern Wisconsin. Im down here near Madison. Its cold here, but I don't dare put my bike away yet. I went for a nice cold 37 degree ride yesterday (it was sunny so it didn't feel that bad). Last year It got into the upper 50's or lower 60's on Dec 1 (of course the year before we where burried in 12 inches of snow about that time). Anyway, im glad to here the wife is doing better. Have fun in the garage this winter!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Last Dec 1st was about 72 degrees here in Central Mass. There were 1000's of bike out that day.
Went for a solo yesterday AM and it was freakin' cold. Them low black clouds rolled in and stayed for the day. Had family obligations that kept me from riding in the afternoon but, ah, just as well.
The snow going through the upper US is going to effect us here too! Higher elevations may get some wet flakes tomorrow night. Only time will tell. :Dennis

·
Banned
490 Posts
Keepin' Warm

I took my bike out for a spin on Sunday (the last few days have been wet here in SE Wisconsin).. I only saw a few guys on bikes, including one fellow wearing a knit ski hat with a little ball on the top - truly a unique piece of motorcycling headgear.

Actually, I've been quite comfortable on the bike down to the mid-thirties. Full-face helmet, thick gloves, calf-high boots, lined leather jacket with integrated neck protector, and Joe Rocket Ballistic riding pants. I haven't even needed long underwear or electric heaters on rides up to an hour long.

One thing I've been a little suprised about among Harley riders here in Wisconsin is their resistance to "technical" riding gear. Harley makes a line of waterproof, armored and insulated riding clothes (FXRG), but according to a source I have, dealers here don't stock it because riders don't buy it. You'd think with the cold weather we get in the fall and spring people would want to be comfortable - but it seems like guys would rather store their bikes for six months than ride wearing anything other than jeans and sleeveless vests. I've got another six weeks before my insurance policy tells me I've got to store my bike - I'm going to make sure I ride every chance I can.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I went for a ride before the Packer game yesterday ,beautiful day but cool , I was just going to get gas and ended up going for an hour. When I got back I was chilled. I am hoping for some Indian summer or is it too late for that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good to hear from all you wisconsin people! up here in the chippewa valley we got about 2 inches of that white stuff this morning and that put an end to any riding, do not whant any of that road salt on the DYNA even if the temps are warmer. ride streight!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
JoeJitsu said:
Geees..I wish it was 70 degrees during the winter here in Connecticut.
It's already in the 40's and 50's :(
You mist a good party in Torrington, for CT bike week. And HELL YA, SNOW SUCKS. As long as it say's above FREEZING, I'm good wit tat. Chilly, but still good.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here in GA it is in the mid 50's at night and low 70's in the day. I went riding this past friday night and it got pretty chilly. Being from NY im used to the cold temps, but even that friday ningt I had to pull the heavy jacket out. No snow here so I plan on riding as long as I can, untill I get my 1200 conversion kit.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Got about a half inch of wet white stuff here this morning. It's all melting now, but the wet will be around for a day or two!
Got a ride in yesterday afternoon, maybe ride again Saturday. Sunday is another work day so riding time is dwindling fast.
Man, I hate winter!:mad:

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
And daylight savings is just around the corner, dark at 4:00, I'm still going to ride as often as possible. There is a Halloween run Saturday night at 7:00 on route 18 in weymouth at the ames parking lot, see you there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: Keepin' Warm

VRodDrew said:
I've got another six weeks before my insurance policy tells me I've got to store my bike - I'm going to make sure I ride every chance I can.
Hey VRodDrew,
Just wondering about your insurance policy. When I was 17 with my 250cc Honawasuki I went to a few insurance companys and they quoted me between $700 & $1100 a year(or some where in there) but these same companys did the Nov.-Mar. you have to park it policy. Then I found American Family Ins. they charged me somewhere between $150-$250 a year for the same 250cc Honawasuki and it was not a park it in the winter policy either.

Needless to say I get all my insurance through the same guy now. For the 73 sporty it is $220 a year, and I was quoted something around $350 a year for the 2003 Springer. Both are full coverage.

Im sure age had alot to do with the higher rates and all but I'm glad I found an insurer that had an all year round policy for those unusualy kinda warm days that you gotta take the bike out for a little spin. I have found out early that you want to make sure there is no snow/slush at all on the roads. I went up a hill and put the bike into second gear and found my self laying on the slushy road a second latter with a broken clutch lever (no claim) .

Now I'd guess that you have done your own homework and found a cheap rate. Only curious if they overcharging ya, thats all.

Oh ya, don't eat the yellow snow.:)
Buzz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.