V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only been smoking regularly the last year. Wish i hated it enough to quit. Usually go a couple weeks without one, then something will piss me off and I can burn through a whole pack in a day easy. Nothing like a Marlboro red 100 and a cup of black coffee at 0400am.

Started dipping to slow down on the smokes, but i cant stand the stuff. Nice little buzz though.

I do enjoy stogies every once in a while. And I have slowed down considerably on the liquor. I feel like it brings out the worst in me.

Maybe im just a restless asshole. 27yrs old and have my midlife crisis every damn day. Work in a job surrounded by incompetence and its all i can do not to bust the table of offenses out on people.

I should quit. Smoking, that is.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Well ya sound confused to me.

My advice, Just wait for it, "time" that is. Time will expose what you want and should HAVE done.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
Son,,,, you aren't making any sense,,, when you get pissed and need to calm down,, go for a Harley ride,,, skip the booze and smokes,, and just ride...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
At 27 years old, nothing should be bothering you. You will not experience the mid life crap till you're closer to 40.

Nicotine can work as either a depressant or a stimulant. The more you take into your system, the more it becomes a stimulant. In others words, smoke a little, you calm down. Smoke a lot, you get aggravated easily.

I've never met you, don't know you, but I suggest some anger management counseling and possibly sensitivity counseling as well. I know it sounds crazy and stupid, but at the end of the day, you'll get something useful out of it. I did. It saved my job. You learn to accept the fact that the rest of the world is going to continue on it's current track with or without you. Same as your job.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
If your coming here for a therapy session , well I don't know what to tell ya... Sounds like TT has some solid advice..

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
a camel and a cold guinness are my favorite
things in life.....work gets in the way.

you're a fine young american nick, holding down
a job and walking the line.

my bullshat hypocritical advice is try to moderate
substance use.

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not trying to sound like a puss. Believe me, a lot of folks got it worse than i do. I was raised by my grandfather (dad took off) and have his 1950s mindset.

Do what the F*** your job entails to the best of your abilities no matter what. Mom stays at home raising the kids and i will work my ass off till the day i die to provide for them.

Now that im working for the govt, surrounded by a bunch of people who are past their probationary period and just screw off all the time. Its all i can do not to rip their asses D.I. style like gramps.

Idk guess i just feel like venting to a few like minded folks. My peers dont seem to get it. They are all caught up with college drinking, smoking weed, knocking up chicks and abandoning them.

I guess smoking in moderation is okay. Lol gramps is 82. Smoking since 12. They dont make em like they used to.

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
I have probably smoked 40 years. One day a stroke got me, but I didn't quit. Nothing like a cig, checking out the forum while taking a dump in the morning. So I had another stroke. I went and bought a d

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
Oh well my finger sent that. Anyway I bought a vape which helps alot, but is not a cigarette. Brother nicotine is addictive. I have quit many illegal drugs and they were easier to quit.

I still have one while on the can viewing Vtwin, but nothing like it use to be. Quit now while the going is good.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Camels, Lucky's and weed. Started to get the weeze.. Had to give something up. I did, the first two... Life's good...

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,920 Posts
Well, I guess I won't be much help. I still smoke. I just believe that some things that are "bad" for you can still be good for you. It may not help you live longer, but there was no guarantee to live long anyway, right? Who says living longer is better anyway?

I think your mind and body will tell you when you pass the limits. Until then, do what you want. It is your life after all. If your conscience is bothering you, then it may be time to quit, or at least back off. If you're just concerned about what someone else says, give those words due consideration, but make your own choices.

I personally think the fact that you are here, saying what you said, means that you are at least thinking about the whole situation. Do yourself a big favor and listen to yourself.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a friend that smoked his adult life. He worked very hard and made millions. He had to quit working in his 50s due to copd. Still alive but has been tethered to a oxygen bottle for 10 years and mostly house bound. Hoping for a lung transplant. All that hard work and the money he accumulated cant be enjoyed. Please quit.....

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ive messed around with other drugs but it really wasnt fun, never got hooked on anything except monster energy which is probably worse than the cigs. I dont have an addictive personality, if i really want to stop i can... i think?

Its just an easy way to get out of the office for a few minutes of "fresh air" haha.... as facetious as that sounds.

Also, nothing has ever got me as "high" as doing 135~mph on my vmax and almost hitting a coyote. Never felt adrenaline/fear like it! Haha once is probably enough.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
I've been on the quitting train for about 6 months and have never fully quit. I quit twice for about a year the first time and about 4 months the second. This time my mind is made up to stop once and for all. I was thinking about just the cost of it the other day. I'm pretty vocal about people doing stupid sh!t financially and I'm thinking to myself how fuk'n stupid are you talking about the stupid sh!t other people do with their money.

I also have grand children that absolutely adore me and if nothing else I owe it to them to be able to adore me for as much time as they can. I think of all the stupid ass liberal crap they'll be taught if I'm not around. And last but not least, being around long enough to carry out my plan of tightening the noose around my ex son-in-law's neck to the point he decides that leaving town and never coming back is better than having me for an enemy.

With all that said though I think you have bigger things to deal with besides smoking. At 27 I had 3 kids, a wife that was fuking everything that moved, was running the day shift in an aircraft maintenance squadron and lost my youngest son just before my 28th birthday so I know what stress is. But I didn't find myself so pissed at the world that I had to smoke or get hammered all the time to deal. I would hop on my bike and go for a ride. Probably even more therapeutic was bicycle riding. If I was stressed I would ride my bicycle for 20 or 30 miles as fast as I could get the thing going. Was I still stressed after all this. You bet. But it certainly changed my perception of things for the better and in some ways made me actually enjoy some of my stress. Sounds weird but I don't know how else to describe it. Some stress is a good thing. It's when you let it rule your life that things start getting bad.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You want to quit, you need a change then, something to keep you focus, a passion as we say.

Go purchase some acres and build something off grid like a earth bag house! Wife told me NO! but, At your age you'll be so independent.

If ya like snow be a ice road trucker. Wife said NO!

Find a passion, learn it and enjoy Because I agree with 09Desrt "You learn to accept the fact that the rest of the world(or your wife) is going to continue on it's current track with or without you. Same as your job(or your wife)."

1 - 20 of 155 Posts