V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my motor came apart today. After 3 years of planning and changin' plans and buying and selling the right and wrong parts, Finally have all the parts necessary and disassembled the motor today. I am not doing it myself but, my wrench is "letting me" watch and help which is close enough for me. He's pretty patient and really great about explaining stuff to me even without me asking. he's pretty young and with some more experience, would make a great teacher because of his demeanor and delivery. I feel lucky to have found him. After being there for the tear down, I am pretty confident I could do the basic top end myself although, he sure has ALL the right tools. (absolutely AMAZING how fast one of these things comes apart!)

Anyhow, to the nitty gritty, motor condition!
My 01 Road Glide has 27,000 miles on her. I havent been the best about timely service and I know the previous owner ( first 4k miles) probably was worse than me! I am heavy at 300# and ride two up almost all the time (OL only 100# thank goodness!). I ride hard at some point in time on EVERY outing, not every time, but a few times every day, I "run her up through the gears hard".
Well, after reading so much doom and gloom on here about internals, I am happy to have a great report about engine condition!
When that thing came apart, it looked pristeen for a used motor. Virtually every part inside looked like brand new. The pistons and rings looked like new, the heads were barely carboned and looked great, both head gaskets came off clean! The cross hatching in the barrels was still clearly visable with absolutely no top ridge at all.
Everyone wants to know about the cam chest, right? Well, it was great in there. There was a little wear on the tensioner pads but nothing like any of the horror stories I've seen and read about. No scarring in the oil pump, cam plate barely marked at the oil pump connection. All in all, awesome looking and way better than I expected. With all the horror stories I read about on here, I expected something be wrong. The wrench said, that twinkies really hold up well and that it was rare in his experience(he's done 100+) for low milage TC's to have any problems internally. Anyhow, dissasembly went great! Absolutely no surprises inside the motor unless you count everything being perfect a surprise. Assembly probaby starts tuesday, a few other service issues to take care of and then, "fire in the hole!" .
I am a happy camper, will keep you all posted.
I NEED your comments, I have no other life.....

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Gotta love that avatar:)

Let us know when your done:boobies:

·
BlueSkiesandTailwinds
188 Posts
Just curious about one thing:

You said you barely have any carbon buildup. I'm wondering, is your breather vented somewhere other than back through the intake??:huh: :hmmm:

The reason I ask is because mine currently is and I'm trying to decide if I should change this over the winter.

Thanks in advance,:beer:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dc3plt said:
Just curious about one thing:

You said you barely have any carbon buildup. I'm wondering, is your breather vented somewhere other than back through the intake??:huh: :hmmm:

The reason I ask is because mine currently is and I'm trying to decide if I should change this over the winter.

Thanks in advance,:beer:
Don't get me wrong dc, there is carbon on the heads and piston tops just not nearly as much as I have seen on the few I've seen.
To answer your q though, I just have the standard SE/AC with the standard vent tubes.
I might change mine eventually though, my ac pukes oil all over my bike, not really bad, just enough to piss me off.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Way to go AdlerX!! Sounds like you're having fun. As for your description of how you ride - these things won't be hurt by vigorous riding. Keep us posted, good luck on the build.

·
BlueSkiesandTailwinds
188 Posts
Thanks for the input on your breather :thumbsup:

Good luck with the build. I love it when I see those who really like to get down and dirty with these bikes.

See ya,

Mike

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Have fun take your time and enjoy the adventure. I did mine last winter and had a blast and the icing on the cake was riding it all last summer
Wait until you hit that starter switch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
?prty:

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
adlerx said:
I might change mine eventually though, my ac pukes oil all over my bike, not really bad, just enough to piss me off.
Make sure that you have the metal breather assembly in your heads (the plastic stuff was not that efficient in terms of separation and back pressure) and your oil pump is aligned as to the latest HD procedure.

Sounds like your having fun. My fun starts Wednesday when we mock up the top end of my new build. Bottom end done, cam chest done.

Cheers

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
A comparison;

I just took the heads off my 06 Heritage with 1300 miles on it to do a bore kit, heads and cams.

I had it into the dealership previously complaining about poor fuel mileage with a stage I and PCIII. Was getting about 28-30mpg & had noticed the exhaust had quite a bit of soot.
They did a dyno test and it showed the air fuel right on the line and said everything was fine and that was just the way it was.

Inspecting the pistons and cyl. heads showed them covered with carbon, and not just a slight coat. This seemed excessive with that low of miles, we'll see what happens after the tuning.

Thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yeah, they are reading the ECU and not the piggyback PCIII.........

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Way to go! Did mine a month ago and had a blast tearing it apart and putting it back together. By the way, my 01 already had the metal breather assembly so yours is probably OK to!:woohoo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts